Search

Hotel Status: 2 Rooms vs 1

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2024 | 9:14 am
Original Poster
5 Years on Site

Hotel Status: 2 Rooms vs 1

Hi All,

I wasn't quite sure where to post this. Mods please move as appropriate.

Have a new to me situation I am not sure what the best way is to navigate it.

In November I will be traveling with elderly family, and first time for me we will need two hotel rooms vs just one (wife and i).

I have Hilton Diamond and Marriott Titanium. They have Hilton Gold and no Marriott status.

Is there/could there be any advantage to me booking two rooms in my name vs booking two individual rooms/reservations separately?

I can't tell if there is any provision to extend hotel status to multiple rooms in a reservation vs not.

Can anyone provide guidance?

Thank you!
Old Jun 22, 2024 | 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Countries Visited500k20 Years on Site

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .59 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
As for accumulating nights or stays, there is no benefit to having two rooms over one. You would be better off putting one room in the name of an elderly family member for that.

Yes, you could get the points for both rooms (if for identical dates) by booking both in your name. However, properties are not required to extend benefits for the second room. (Occasionally one will get lucky in this regard.)
purdue1015 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2024 | 6:15 am
Original Poster
5 Years on Site

Thank you!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2024 | 8:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
15 Years on Site

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I've had benefits extended over to my other room before. YMMV, very much up to the discretion of the property. It would be better if hoping for this, to be booked at the same time.
purdue1015 likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2024 | 4:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
40 Countries Visited60 Nights5M15 Years on Site

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Are you primarily concerned about elite benefits, points earning or nights credit toward future elite status?

IIRC Hilton Gold (and also Diamond) give free breakfast to room occupants in most brands, but Diamond might give lounge access, better upgrade chances, and a late(r) checkout if available.

With Marriott, Titanium gives a guaranteed 4 pm checkout (with some exceptions, namely for resorts and properties that are designated by Marriott as conference hotels) and a complicated free breakfast benefit, plus upgrades if available at check in. These generally wouldn't extend to the second room but properties sometimes choose to do this voluntarily.
Old Jun 28, 2024 | 3:00 pm
Original Poster
5 Years on Site

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are you primarily concerned about elite benefits, points earning or nights credit toward future elite status?

IIRC Hilton Gold (and also Diamond) give free breakfast to room occupants in most brands, but Diamond might give lounge access, better upgrade chances, and a late(r) checkout if available.

With Marriott, Titanium gives a guaranteed 4 pm checkout (with some exceptions, namely for resorts and properties that are designated by Marriott as conference hotels) and a complicated free breakfast benefit, plus upgrades if available at check in. These generally wouldn't extend to the second room but properties sometimes choose to do this voluntarily.
Extension of current elite benefits to second room. I don't care either away about point/status earning from the stay itself.

Traveling with elderly family. Would be nice if they (second room) had free breakfast, late check out options, upgrade opportunities, etc., same as I.

Fair to say this could be a bit of a grey area and that it is mostly hotel dependent on if they extend to second room in booking?
Old Jun 29, 2024 | 3:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
15 Years on Site

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by purdue1015
Extension of current elite benefits to second room. I don't care either away about point/status earning from the stay itself.

Traveling with elderly family. Would be nice if they (second room) had free breakfast, late check out options, upgrade opportunities, etc., same as I.

Fair to say this could be a bit of a grey area and that it is mostly hotel dependent on if they extend to second room in booking?
It might be beneficial to contact the hotel ahead of time as well, especially if traveling with elderly family.
SPN Lifer and purdue1015 like this.
Old Jun 29, 2024 | 6:56 am
15 Years on Site

If it's in US and HH hotels then it's completely pointless. You gonna get two extra bottles of water and a bag of chips.
If outside of US, most HH hotels would extend the benefits to the second room if booked under your HH#.
:D! and purdue1015 like this.
Old Jun 30, 2024 | 5:41 pm
30 Countries Visited1M60 Nights15 Years on Site

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Can’t say much about Hilton but for Marriott, I’m about 50% for getting elite benefits for both rooms. In some cases, the hotel informed me the benefits are only applicable to one room, but they will be extending to both rooms as a courtesy. In other cases, I’ve been explicitly told only one room will get the elite benefits. Most recently, I just booked the 2nd room with Club Access to make sure we could all get breakfast in the lounge together.
beckoa and purdue1015 like this.
Old Jul 7, 2024 | 6:33 pm
Original Poster
5 Years on Site

Thank you all for the input!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.