Search

New Double Dipping strategy

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2010, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz PC, IC RA, SPG Platinum, HH Diamond, US Gold
New Double Dipping strategy

Hello Everyone!

I think there is a way to double dip with PC. I'm thinking that I could book a room for what ever amount of PC bonus points and have my regular earning preference set to airline miles. So in a way I should recieve airline miles for all of my hotel charges then I would recieve PC points for my booking plus what ever promo I am registered for. Has anyone done this? I stay at a lot of hotels that have 5000 bonus points, so this would help a lot towards gaining a few airline miles at the same time.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 10:06 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: HH & IHG Gold; Marriott & AA Perpetual Platinum
How would this be different than earning points for the stays and subsequently redeeming some points for miles?
Old Apr 11, 2010, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Ok I see your point there but if you stay at IC hotels. There is an advantage. When you book a room at an IC you recieve 2000 points for your stay which would then take 5 stays to reach 10,000 points. If you are registered to earn airline miles, you will earn 500 miles per stay. So it would only take 4 nights to earn 2000 miles which is better then staying 5 nights and transfering your points.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 5:23 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
Flawed, if you are a Plat 5 stays get 10,000 + 5,000 plat bonus for 15,000 total which gets converted to 3,000 airline miles. Points count towards status, arline miles do not.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tobegold
Flawed, if you are a Plat 5 stays get 10,000 + 5,000 plat bonus for 15,000 total which gets converted to 3,000 airline miles. Points count towards status, arline miles do not.
That's if you are plat.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 8:52 pm

I'm new to priority club. Right now I am 8000 points short to become Plat. For hotels that offers packages that comes with 5000 points, does those 5000 points would counts toward the activity for the year..meaning bringing my 8000 to 3000 points closer to become a Plat? Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 11, 2010, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Using a credit card that earns airline miles is about the only way to Double Dip in a legitimate fashion. Though Canadians can actually Triple Dip by booking our rooms through the Air Miles Shops or Aeroplan Shopping portals, and getting additional miles in those programs
Old Apr 12, 2010, 2:25 am
Suspended

Programs: OWE, Hilton GOLD and counting
I guess the OP is saying that by booking BONUS POINT pachage rate to get the double dip. How it works is to book a bonus points package. Like us say the ADv rate is USD$100 and the Best Avalaible is USD$120. The 2000 Bonus Point rate is USD$150.

So the OP set his profile as Airmiles collector. After his stay with that IHG hotel offered the 2000 Bonus Points package. He will get the original Airmiles based on his stay. And he will have 2000 Bonus PC points electronically credited to his PC account as the package promised.

If that works I do believe it is good way of saying Double Dipping exist in PriorityClub which IHG did not know about (or IHG did not wish to let everyone know about)...^
Old Apr 12, 2010, 2:30 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by qplazm1982
I'm new to priority club. Right now I am 8000 points short to become Plat. For hotels that offers packages that comes with 5000 points, does those 5000 points would counts toward the activity for the year..meaning bringing my 8000 to 3000 points closer to become a Plat? Thanks in advance!
Yes.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by qplazm1982
Another yes. Any points earned in PC by ANY activity is elite qualifying.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 9:10 am

You could book your rooms with E-Bates as a starting portal and get 5% cash back on your stays. That way you cold double dip in cash back and points. A $100 a night reservation would yield you back $5.00.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:36 am

Programs: AF Gold | LH SEN | Hertz #1 Gold | PCR Plat | IC RA
Originally Posted by IC6A
I guess the OP is saying that by booking BONUS POINT pachage rate to get the double dip. How it works is to book a bonus points package. Like us say the ADv rate is USD$100 and the Best Avalaible is USD$120. The 2000 Bonus Point rate is USD$150.

So the OP set his profile as Airmiles collector. After his stay with that IHG hotel offered the 2000 Bonus Points package. He will get the original Airmiles based on his stay. And he will have 2000 Bonus PC points electronically credited to his PC account as the package promised.

If that works I do believe it is good way of saying Double Dipping exist in PriorityClub which IHG did not know about (or IHG did not wish to let everyone know about)...^
I think that if you have your earnings preference as miles, a Bonus Points Package will not give you any points. It is clearly mentioned in the package description:
Package includes room only and 1,000 bonus Priority ClubŪ points per stay. If you are a miles collector with participating airlines, your points will be converted into miles. Bonus points or miles will be automatically posted to your account upon completion of stay. Frequency/partner credits may be issued in currencies other than miles. Any number of consecutive nights at the same hotel will be considered one stay.
This said, I believe that the best way to get more miles, is to change the earning preference to points! As mentioned in several posts all over this forum, you can easily reach the platinum (60.000 points) with as little as 5 nights, then you will get 50% bonus on base points (plus the room upgrades when available).

My example, this year I have 15 qualifying nights and over 160.000 points earned just register for all the promotions at the wright time and you can do well over 5.000 points per night.

Collect points, then redeem them for miles if it is miles that you need!

Cheers
P
Old Apr 13, 2010, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

I guess I should read the fine print. Lol
Old Sep 3, 2010, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Originally Posted by Tom.C77
Hello Everyone!

I think there is a way to double dip with PC. I'm thinking that I could book a room for what ever amount of PC bonus points and have my regular earning preference set to airline miles. So in a way I should recieve airline miles for all of my hotel charges then I would recieve PC points for my booking plus what ever promo I am registered for. Has anyone done this? I stay at a lot of hotels that have 5000 bonus points, so this would help a lot towards gaining a few airline miles at the same time.
Just a twist on this one. I want to set my preference to US to get a hit for Grand Slam for just one stay. I am also registered for a bunch of the "welcome back" promos so there could be another 4-5000ish points. Do I get the value of the hotel in US miles and the bonus points in PC points?
Old Sep 3, 2010, 6:22 pm

Programs: Intercontinental, Delta, American, United, US Air
back when I was doing miles for stays any bonus package points were in miles. I had NO PC points at all. But that was before I started collecting partner credits and such. So answer is NO, you won't get to double dip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.