Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ambassador Benefits on a Travelocity Booking?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2010, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Ambassador Benefits on a Travelocity Booking?

I've searched and can't find the answer to whether I would be entitled to Ambassador benefits on a Travelocity booking. I understand that I would not get points, but want to know specifically about the benefits. I want to use Travelocity because I have loads of Travelocity points I can redeem. I emailed the next hotel I'm considering (Bali Intercontinental) and they said I would not receive Amabassador benefits because Travelocity is an "agent". Also sent an email to the Ambassador Service Center and they said I would get Amb. benefits but no points. Wondering if the hotel just misunderstood what I was asking. Does anybody have examples of rooms booked through Travelocity and receiving Amb. beneifts on their stay? Thanks.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by jjwjjw
I emailed the next hotel I'm considering (Bali Intercontinental) and they said I would not receive Amabassador benefits because Travelocity is an "agent".
Also sent an email to the Ambassador Service Center and they said I would get Amb. benefits but no points.
Why don't you send the Ambassasor Service Centre's reply to the hotel?
Old Aug 4, 2010, 2:51 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
[...] I emailed the next hotel I'm considering (Bali Intercontinental) and they said I would not receive Amabassador benefits because Travelocity is an "agent". [...]
To be frank, I think this is plain wrong. Nowhere it says that you don't get Amb benefits when you book with an agent. Email the hotel, like nicolas suggested.

Side note, if Travelocity is paying a decent rate (for your points), you could even get points.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
And send the hotel's reply to the Ambassador people so they know the property is not following the rules.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 5:31 am

Programs: NW Diamond, LH SEN, PC Spire - RA, TG PlatHyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
To be frank, I think this is plain wrong. Nowhere it says that you don't get Amb benefits when you book with an agent. Email the hotel, like nicolas suggested.
Didn't realize that before. Checked the T&C and Chinatrvl is right. I had passed some very good rate offered by agents thinking that my stay would not get upgraded.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 5:34 am

Wondering if the hotel just misunderstood what I was asking. Does anybody have examples of rooms booked through Travelocity and receiving Amb. beneifts on their stay? Thanks.
You would not believe that some hotel just don't want to have Ambassadors / Royal Ambassadors to stay at their hotel because they think that this program costs them arms and legs.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by spunk_tokyo
You would not believe that some hotel just don't want to have Ambassadors / Royal Ambassadors to stay at their hotel because they think that this program costs them arms and legs.
I am sure they much prefer those who stay regularly and pay full rates without being aware of the Ambassador or even PC programs. But most regulars are paying corporate rates that are as low as, or lower than, these TA rates (and I don't include the sell-off agents like Priceline). As someone who generally pays the BestFlex rate, I suppose by the time I use my RA benefits, I've netted them the Advance Payment rate. But two or three drinks from the minibar, a movie (though haven't found one worth watching in over a dozen IC stays this year!), and upgrade to the Club likely represents $100 on a 2-night stay...along with any loss from my not dining in one of the restaurants or drinking at a bar in the hotel because of my RA benefits.

So you be the judge of my net value to individual properties.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 8:53 am

Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche

Side note, if Travelocity is paying a decent rate (for your points), you could even get points.
Benefits I agree with you but points

The T&Cs say: (my bold)

Limits on Points for Stays. Points are not issued for stays at the following reduced room rates (Non-Qualifying Room Rates; Non-Qualifying Stay): net wholesale individual and group rate, certain package rates, employee discount rate, friends and family rate, crew rate, special discounted contract rates, seasonal worker/crew rate, 50% travel club discount rate, travel industry discount rate, distressed passenger rate, Priority Club Reward Nights/Airline Hotel Reward rate, most rates booked through most third party web sites, complimentary hotel stays and any other rates not defined as a Qualifying Room Rate.

Last edited by BA1A; Aug 4, 2010 at 9:00 am
Old Aug 4, 2010, 9:02 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Originally Posted by BA1A
Benefits I agree with you but points The T&Cs say: (my bold)

Limits on Points for Stays. Points are not issued for stays at the following reduced room rates (Non-Qualifying Room Rates; Non-Qualifying Stay): net wholesale individual and group rate, certain package rates, employee discount rate, friends and family rate, crew rate, special discounted contract rates, seasonal worker/crew rate, 50% travel club discount rate, travel industry discount rate, distressed passenger rate, Priority Club Reward Nights/Airline Hotel Reward rate, most rates booked through most third party web sites, complimentary hotel stays and any other rates not defined as a Qualifying Room Rate.
Very blurry in T&Cs. My point, my bold:

Eligible Charges Worldwide include the following Qualifying Room Rates paid for hotel room nights: including the hotel’s Advanced Purchase Rate, Best Flexible Rate, worldwide sales negotiated rate, national/regional/local government rate and specified leisure rates as confirmed by IHG's HOLIDEX® Plus reservation systems. Points will be awarded for Qualifying Room Rates booked through IHG central reservation offices, IHG web sites, travel agents or directly at the hotel.
If Travelocity books a rate high enough to be qualifying (i.e. does not fall in the category you quoted), there's the chance the OP gets points. That's how I would interpret T&Cs.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 9:05 am

Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Very blurry in T&Cs. My point, my bold:

If Travelocity books a rate high enough to be qualifying (i.e. does not fall in the category you quoted), there's the chance the OP gets points. That's how I would interpret T&Cs.
Fair point, good spot ^

Hopefully the OP will report back and let us know how they got on, what benefits they did get in the end and whether the rate qualified for points or not.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the information. I called up the ASC last night just to make sure I was understanding it correctly. They again confirmed that I would get benefits, but no PC points (which is fine with me). They suggested to me that I advise the hotel of the T & C that state that the hotel can only deny benefits on reward stays.

Haven't booked yet and probably won't for a few weeks, but wanted to make sure I was understanding it correctly due to the different responses from the ASC and the hotel. If the hotel does try to deny benefits, I will know I can push back with the T & Cs and the ASC.

Thanks for your replies. I appreciate it.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 4:23 pm

They suggested to me that I advise the hotel of the T & C that state that the hotel can only deny benefits on reward stays.
On the contrary, the hotel in question DOES upgrade A/RA on reward stays.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 1:57 am

Originally Posted by spunk_tokyo
On the contrary, the hotel in question DOES upgrade A/RA on reward stays.
They may well do, but I think the ASC were advising that officially they dont have to.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
I do not find any lanuage in the T&C to that the RA benefits are dependent on the rate you book (with the exception on airline crew on airline rates).

When it comes to points rates via a travel agent are good for points. Beside that:

I made the experience that rooms booked via a webside that sell the original IHG rates are good for points (they act like a travel agent) whereas websites that sell special rates (like Expedia Special prepaid rates) eg. do not score points. I do not recollect any case where I have paid my bill on checkout and did not receive points.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 9:12 am

Programs: PC Plat-RA, M&M Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
I do not find any lanuage in the T&C to that the RA benefits are dependent on the rate you book (with the exception on airline crew on airline rates).

When it comes to points rates via a travel agent are good for points. Beside that:

I made the experience that rooms booked via a webside that sell the original IHG rates are good for points (they act like a travel agent) whereas websites that sell special rates (like Expedia Special prepaid rates) eg. do not score points. I do not recollect any case where I have paid my bill on checkout and did not receive points.
Does this mean that when you book thru Expedia or others you get the benefits and night count towards status?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.