Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC London Park Lane Master Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2021, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by HadesNL
@ Atacama40 : thanks for the update,
Sad to hear the hotel had some startup problems but glad to hear your opinion that things should be improving soon.

Was curious about the renovated rooms, is the layout still the same furniture wise?
Remembered the executive room facing Hyde Park had a couch,
The one bedroom deluxe suite had a dining table for 4 and a collapsable sofa.
Pretty much the same layout so far HadesNL.

Had the Mayfair Studio, MF 1 Bedroom and MF Grande so far and from memory it's pretty much the same layouts. Weird though, so many stops (I'd guess in excess of 100 the last 10 years) and the memory of the old fades already. Or is that just age?

The Studio suite and 1 BR definitely do have the couch on the HP and Wellington Arch views. The 1 BR has the table, I don't recall the fold up sofa sorry.

Oh they will definitely be back to form. In fairness my slightly negative assessment can apply to a significant amount of the tier 2 London properties. Top tier? I'm not sure. Given the unit costs and reputation you would hope they were in good shape but don't know.

You will be impressed with the refresh Hades. It is very well considered. Furniture pieces are custom fabricated and nice quality. Colours and textures very good.

And the new beds are excellent. Not that they were bad before. A colleague of mine who has suffered back issues the last year stayed four nights. His back problems entirely went. He is convinced it's his bed at home. The takeaway? Buy a new bloody bed!!!

I'm less sure and wonder if it's the Verve Clicquot and Intercontinental 75 cocktails! :-) Oh and is a point .... the champagne has downgraded. Maybe that's just while Club Life served on the ground floor and returns when lounge opens again.

If you are considering a stop Hades and it's not work related, I think I'd wait until later November when the CS cogs should mesh better and the lounge will be open again.
HadesNL likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 3:26 pm

Programs: QF Plat, IHG RA, Marriott Plat
I’d like to support all the favourable comments about the new rooms.

For me, the bathrooms are spectacular. The “non slip” floor tiles,the great design of the shower, the toilet (anyone who has stayed will know the Japanese/bidet combo). Top notch, best I have seen in a hotel in Europe.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by DonPedro
I’d like to support all the favourable comments about the new rooms.

For me, the bathrooms are spectacular. The “non slip” floor tiles,the great design of the shower, the toilet (anyone who has stayed will know the Japanese/bidet combo). Top notch, best I have seen in a hotel in Europe.
Spot on observation DonPedro. The non slip mats as well (shower and bath side) are a decent touch and not one I've seen before.

Also the air extraction triggered at loo level is very effective.

The in-house TV system could do with freshening up and is a little slow but quite usable.

Is details like that and the ones you mention that make the difference. Whoever designed knew their stuff. ICPL is bit like a VW Golf .... it evolves rather nicely rather than any radical new concept. And that sort of works.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 1:54 pm

Programs: Diamond Inner Circle Royal Ambassador
Got to sing the praises of this property after two stays over the last two weekends.

The first last Saturday for a special birthday for my son. Booked two rooms, classic on points and a bed and breakfast rate in a Mayfair Deluxe. For his 18th I though his own room was warranted!

On check in the former had been upgraded to a Mayfair Deluxe and the latter up to a Mayfair Suite. Spire Ambassador so extremely pleased.

Had another night last night booked on a Virtuoso rate. Only a one category upgrade this time but looking on the day of check in, it was full. Great service in the now opened club lounge. As good as I remember although shame breakfast is now in the main restaurant but that's minor. We travelled as a three with my 9 year old but they didn't charge the extra person charge. Lounge was extremely quiet and a lovely haven to relax in.

Yes it isn't cheap here but service levels seem as good as they were pre covid and not suffering from new staff issues (on the face of it at least) like I've seen elsewhere - Kimpton Fitzroy and IC Dublin to mention a couple.

I do need to try the O2 again as mentioned in that thread but I think they'll struggle to surpass recent experiences here, particularly as the O2 seem to have knocked prices up a fair bit since reopening.

I think this might now be my fav IHG property in the capital.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by Smythmeister
Got to sing the praises of this property after two stays over the last two weekends.

The first last Saturday for a special birthday for my son. Booked two rooms, classic on points and a bed and breakfast rate in a Mayfair Deluxe. For his 18th I though his own room was warranted!

On check in the former had been upgraded to a Mayfair Deluxe and the latter up to a Mayfair Suite. Spire Ambassador so extremely pleased.

Had another night last night booked on a Virtuoso rate. Only a one category upgrade this time but looking on the day of check in, it was full. Great service in the now opened club lounge. As good as I remember although shame breakfast is now in the main restaurant but that's minor. We travelled as a three with my 9 year old but they didn't charge the extra person charge. Lounge was extremely quiet and a lovely haven to relax in.

Yes it isn't cheap here but service levels seem as good as they were pre covid and not suffering from new staff issues (on the face of it at least) like I've seen elsewhere - Kimpton Fitzroy and IC Dublin to mention a couple.

I do need to try the O2 again as mentioned in that thread but I think they'll struggle to surpass recent experiences here, particularly as the O2 seem to have knocked prices up a fair bit since reopening.

I think this might now be my fav IHG property in the capital.
Agree your last line Smythmeister but as an happy regular I wish I could agree that the service levels were back to norm.

In fairness the new intake of staff are getting there. And indeed how do you supplement 7-8 years of skills set in 2 months. Pretty tough. And the old hands are doing a first job holding things together but the difference between the old hands and new intake is night and day .... in the overall.

Getting those upgrades on Spire is impressive and even with service faltering some, it's still no hardship staying at ICPL. You won't get the same experience at ICO2 unfortunately. I do in fact enjoy ICO2 for entirely different reasons but it is not in the same league. Where at ICPL you get attentive lounge service .... the champagne flows without ask. At ICO2, you go grab a bottle yourself and put it on the table .... staff are ok with that. And in fairness it 'sort of' works in a generous self serve sort of way.
IAMORGAN likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 3:05 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Thanks everyone for the updates!

Shame NL is back on dark-Red covid map, otherwise i would have returned for the festive period!
Atacama40 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 7:09 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Writing this in the lounge after a 2 night stay on an ambassador week en night certificate and club access at £110 per night.

Check in was more stressful than it should have been due to the confusing manner that rate was displayed on both the app, the registration form and an agent at the front desk, who while charming, was as equally confused.

I was told my room was an upgraded but it was not one of the newly refurbished rooms. Comofotable, with a view of park lane from the 8th floor, it was tired and not somewhere to linger.

The lounge was fabulous and we enjoyed afternoon tea and moved directly to drinks without venturing out. The staff excelled.

After a night out drinks at the bar were confusing and rather chaotic.

Breakfast on Saturday at Theo’s was excellent.
Drinks on Saturday night in the bar was a farce Breakfast on Sunday in Theo’s was a disaster and I had to talk to the duty manager.

The 4pm check out meant I could escape to lounge again for afternoon tea before departing.

I like this hotel but service is not great at present. While the doorman can remember by name, the bar staff can’t remember I ordered coffee and cognac. Forgetting my wife’s breakfast order, on her birthday, was inexcusable. The hotel made suitable recompense and I left happy.

as others have said it’s a mixed bag. Long serving staff still deliver but newer staff have a lot to learn
Atacama40 likes this.

Last edited by binman; Jan 30, 2022 at 7:22 am
Old Jan 31, 2022, 3:46 am

Originally Posted by binman
Writing this in the lounge after a 2 night stay on an ambassador week en night certificate and club access at £110 per night.

Check in was more stressful than it should have been due to the confusing manner that rate was displayed on both the app, the registration form and an agent at the front desk, who while charming, was as equally confused.

I was told my room was an upgraded but it was not one of the newly refurbished rooms. Comofotable, with a view of park lane from the 8th floor, it was tired and not somewhere to linger.

The lounge was fabulous and we enjoyed afternoon tea and moved directly to drinks without venturing out. The staff excelled.

After a night out drinks at the bar were confusing and rather chaotic.

Breakfast on Saturday at Theo’s was excellent.
Drinks on Saturday night in the bar was a farce Breakfast on Sunday in Theo’s was a disaster and I had to talk to the duty manager.

The 4pm check out meant I could escape to lounge again for afternoon tea before departing.

I like this hotel but service is not great at present. While the doorman can remember by name, the bar staff can’t remember I ordered coffee and cognac. Forgetting my wife’s breakfast order, on her birthday, was inexcusable. The hotel made suitable recompense and I left happy.

as others have said it’s a mixed bag. Long serving staff still deliver but newer staff have a lot to learn
Your assessment still mirrors my own experience. And I speak as someone who has grown to enjoy PL as a second home. It's just not up to it right now .... service wise. And you are absolutely right door and concierge guys are excellent as always.

Your experience at Theo's I have also seen a number of times now. But some good news. I'm reliably told that breakfast will be back upstairs on 7 from the tail end of February. No specific date given but they know the exposure.

I'd say that will fix the issue assuming they get the experienced staff back into position. I'm sure they will, Everyone is looking to that as a proper solution.
chrism20 likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 6:53 am

Programs: BA Silver, Amex Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Can anyone confirm if the Club Lounge supplement is still an option and is there a discount for Ambassadors?

I'm Spire Ambassador, but have booked a room with a free night voucher and couldn't select a suite, but want Club access. Its a Saturday night if that makes a difference.

Not expecting much in terms of Ambassador room upgrade, or even if they'll honour it on a free night. Any have any experience of this? Room is booked as "Classic Room".

Thanks
Old Feb 2, 2022, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by MrGatch
Can anyone confirm if the Club Lounge supplement is still an option and is there a discount for Ambassadors?

I'm Spire Ambassador, but have booked a room with a free night voucher and couldn't select a suite, but want Club access. Its a Saturday night if that makes a difference.

Not expecting much in terms of Ambassador room upgrade, or even if they'll honour it on a free night. Any have any experience of this? Room is booked as "Classic Room".

Thanks
Yes it's available and think about £110 for Ambassador. Sounds a lot but breakfast downstairs is over £30 so if used to the max isn't so bad.

Doubt you will get a great deal of upgrade on a free night but it has happened.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 1:16 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Atacama40
Yes it's available and think about £110 for Ambassador. Sounds a lot but breakfast downstairs is over £30 so if used to the max isn't so bad.

Doubt you will get a great deal of upgrade on a free night but it has happened.
£110 per night for up to 2 people but this is on top of almost all room rates. I thought it was good value as I was a leisure guest and my wife and I had afternoon tea on arrival including a lot of bubbles and sat there right through till 6:30, so had cocktails and snacks. The drinks alone meant it was decent deal but I can’t see it lasting at this rate.
Atacama40 likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 1:27 am

It's a shame they don't include access in suite rooms and above. Pretty sure they used to. Given some of the rates for suites (over £1000 a night), it would be fair to include club access in my opinion.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by binman
£110 per night for up to 2 people but this is on top of almost all room rates. I thought it was good value as I was a leisure guest and my wife and I had afternoon tea on arrival including a lot of bubbles and sat there right through till 6:30, so had cocktails and snacks. The drinks alone meant it was decent deal but I can’t see it lasting at this rate.
Is exceptional value in pure times .... well if you take advantage of the product. If it's just for the view then a lot less so. Work or leisure I don't recall ever getting less than top value :-)
Old Feb 3, 2022, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by Smythmeister
It's a shame they don't include access in suite rooms and above. Pretty sure they used to. Given some of the rates for suites (over £1000 a night), it would be fair to include club access in my opinion.
You are correct, it used to be the case a few years back and is a bit misleading in a way. If you RA you get that included. If Ambassador it's the reduced rate but as Binman highlighted, if used fully, it is actually good value. And staff there are more than generous, accommodating and say we say, flexible with things. They hit the note just right ... not being taken advantage of but flexible enough to make folks feel looked after T&C's wise.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 11:09 am

Booking through Virtuoso gives you club too, which is normally the way I do it.

Speaking of which, anyone know if its possible to book two rooms for 4 people via virtuoso? And if benefits apply to both rooms?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.