Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Help: Incomplete full name, do you think I can board my flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help: Incomplete full name, do you think I can board my flight?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2024 | 11:48 pm
Original Poster

Red face Help: Incomplete full name, do you think I can board my flight?

Hello! I'm new to this forum.

I booked my flight (ZipAir) from a 3rd party agency, Ly.

However, I forgot to include part of my chinese name.

For example my Passport full name is “Tan Jun Hao, Benjamin” (Not my real name, but in same format).
But my booking name was “Tan, Benjamin”

This usually isn’t an issue and could be easily changed by the airline during depature.
However, ZipAir has informed me that as the tickets were purchased by a 3rd party, they would not be able to amend the name.

Based on your experiences, do you think I would be able to board the flight without my Full Name? (Considering that ZipAir won’t be able to amend the ticket name at the counter as well)

Other information like my Passport Expiry and Passport number are correct

Additional details:
I am a Singaporean, flying from Japan and returning to Singapore.
Jun Hao is part of my given name.

Simply put, This should have been the correct format
First Name: Jun Hao, Benjamin

Last Name: Tan

Thank you guys in advance, I really appreciate all the help
Old Jul 19, 2024 | 4:46 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
What does the Machine Readable Zone (MRZ) of your passport show (bottom part of picture page that the check-in agents scan with their device when checking you in)?

#1 TAN<<JUN<HAO<BENJAMIN

OR

#2 TAN<<BENJAMIN<JUN<HAO

OR

#3 TAN<JUN<HAO<BENJAMIN (more common with Malaysian passports where there is no distinction between surname and first names using the double "<<" separator in the Machine Readable Zone)

If #1, then your ticket should show AT A MINIMUM TAN/JUN

If #2, then your ticket should show AT A MINIMUMTAN/BENJAMIN

If #3, then basically anything goes!! as long as a combination of the names are there (Common for Malaysian passports where there is no distinction between surnames and first names as the formats between the different ethnicities varies).
Old Jul 19, 2024 | 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by daniellam
What does the Machine Readable Zone (MRZ) of your passport show (bottom part of picture page that the check-in agents scan with their device when checking you in)?

#1 TAN<<JUN<HAO<BENJAMIN

OR

#2 TAN<<BENJAMIN<JUN<HAO

OR

#3 TAN<JUN<HAO<BENJAMIN (more common with Malaysian passports where there is no distinction between surname and first names using the double "<<" separator in the Machine Readable Zone)

If #3, then basically anything goes!! as long as a combination of the names are there (Common for Malaysian passports where there is no distinction between surnames and first names as the formats between the different ethnicities varies).

​​​​​​​Oh dear.. Unfortunately it shows #1 TAN<<JUN<HAO<BENJAMIN.

Does that mean I would be denied? Or is there a chance they would still let me in?

Last edited by Traveljh; Jul 19, 2024 at 10:21 pm Reason: Quote
Old Jul 22, 2024 | 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by daniellam

#1 TAN<<JUN<HAO<BENJAMIN

OR

#2 TAN<<BENJAMIN<JUN<HAO

OR

Update:
I'm case #1.
The agency allows us to add a maximum of 3 letters to the ticket.

Meaning I'll be able to change to TAN/ JUN BENJAMIN (Missing "HAO")

Do you think it improves the situation for me if I were to add the 3 characters? Or would it only make matter worse?

Last edited by Traveljh; Jul 22, 2024 at 8:05 pm
Old Jul 22, 2024 | 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
50 Countries Visited3M100 Nights10 Years on Site

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SK Gold (STE+, LTG), UA 1K (*G),Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Traveljh
Update:
I'm case #2.
The agency allows us to add a maximum of 3 letters to the ticket.

Meaning I'll be able to change to TAN/ JUN BENJAMIN (Missing "HAO")

Do you think it improves the situation for me if I were to add the 3 characters? Or would it only make matter worse?
If you are case #2, as I read Tan, Benjamin on hhe ticket is what you want. According to what was posted here, and what has been posted in another thread on the same topic the two names with << in between them is what HAS to be on the ticket. So if TAN<<BENJAMIN as case #2, you are good to go with no adjustments.
Old Jul 22, 2024 | 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
If you are case #2, as I read Tan, Benjamin on hhe ticket is what you want. According to what was posted here, and what has been posted in another thread on the same topic the two names with << in between them is what HAS to be on the ticket. So if TAN<<BENJAMIN as case #2, you are good to go with no adjustments.
Hey sorry I mixed it up. I meant to say that I am case #1
#1 TAN<<JUN<HAO<BENJAMIN

Do you think it improves the situation for me if I were to add just the 3 characters? Or would it only make matter worse?
Old Jul 22, 2024 | 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
50 Countries Visited3M100 Nights10 Years on Site

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SK Gold (STE+, LTG), UA 1K (*G),Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Traveljh
Hey sorry I mixed it up. I meant to say that I am case #1
#1 TAN<<JUN<HAO<BENJAMIN

Do you think it improves the situation for me if I were to add just the 3 characters? Or would it only make matter worse?
As I would read that post, then you should be in a better position. But you probably actually need 4 characters. To go from TAN, BENJAMIN to TAN, JUN BENJAMIN. A space is a character as well. Though with JUNBENJAMIN based on adding 3 characters, you at least got the required name in there.
Old Jul 29, 2024 | 2:53 am
Original Poster

The agency allowed me to add 5 letters to the middle name today and I've change it to
TAN / BENJAMIN JUN HAO

My MRZ code is
#2 TAN<<BENJAMIN<JUN<HAO

The order is different but that's the best adjustment they could do.
Hopefully I would be able to enter smoothly!

Will also update for anyone who requires reference in future 🙏🏻

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.