Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

In Reversal of Growth Strategy, JetBlue Aims to Shrink, Offers Employee Buyouts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

In Reversal of Growth Strategy, JetBlue Aims to Shrink, Offers Employee Buyouts

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2024, 8:41 pm

Programs: Air Bukovina Elite, Circassian Air Gold, Carthaginian Airlines Platinum
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
The value of JFK T5, or even just a portion of the gates and slot pairs, would be huge to an airline like United. Scott Kirby (IIRC) is on the record as saying he does not think UA can grow at JFK organically. Even a small operation around the size of Alaska's (3 or 4 gates and 10-20 daily slot pairs) could be huge once you bring widebodies into the picture.

Though now that I think about it, one of the biggest problems with T5 is that most gates can only handle up to an A321 or 757; there are a handful of widebody gates but in many cases they end up blocking out two gates since they have to park at an angle. That's not a sound long-term strategy. I guess a lot of this is subject to change with T6, but for now I think only four of the existing 30 gates are capable (and two of them require blocking another gate over).

-J.
But wouldn't widebody operations at Jack Kennedy simply cannibalize United's hub at Newark? The EWR hub was one of the biggest reasons they combined with Continental.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 10:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TravellingChris
But wouldn't widebody operations at Jack Kennedy simply cannibalize United's hub at Newark? The EWR hub was one of the biggest reasons they combined with Continental.
Continental was the acquiring party, and its management was the driving force behind the JFK withdrawal. Some of the current leaders, including the CEO, think that was a mistake.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 11:05 pm

Programs: Air Bukovina Elite, Circassian Air Gold, Carthaginian Airlines Platinum
Originally Posted by moondog
Continental was the acquiring party, and its management was the driving force behind the JFK withdrawal. Some of the current leaders, including the CEO, think that was a mistake.
Delta has such a dominant position at Jack Kennedy, I don't see how UA makes much of an impact regardless of what it does. And anything they did try would only take resources and focus away from their hub at EWR.

Unless of course UA decides to acquire B6 lock stock and barrel, and can somehow get the DOJ onside.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 11:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TravellingChris
Delta has such a dominant position at Jack Kennedy, I don't see how UA makes much of an impact regardless of what it does. And anything they did try would only take resources and focus away from their hub at EWR.
There are numerous threads on this topic, and the pro-JFK contingent raises some compelling arguments. It's not so much about dominating as it is having a foothold.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards OBM
Originally Posted by moondog
There are numerous threads on this topic, and the pro-JFK contingent raises some compelling arguments. It's not so much about dominating as it is having a foothold.
Bringing this back to topic, I'm sure United would pay top dollar for some of the JFK real estate, not to mention the fleet-common aircraft. They're not looking for the entire pie anymore -- the DOJ wouldn't allow that anyway -- they just want a sizable piece of it.

Originally Posted by olouie
Hence my PE comment. This is exactly what a PE firm would do. Well they would likely layoff a ton of employees and stuff first and take a ton of value out of the company while parting it out.
And now they have just the CEO to make that happen...

-J.
moondog likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 5:11 am

Programs: JetBlue
Originally Posted by hiker67
'...we must run a reliable operation and deliver on JetBlue’s award-winning service consistently.'
What have you done for me lately JetBlue? Besides finishing last in the rankings of U.S. airlines, providing an app and website that fails every time I try to manage a trip when there was a flight time change, and confiscating customers' travel bank money because customers can't use a credit card, points, and travel bank money in one transaction?

Last edited by Jimval26; Jan 30, 2024 at 6:16 am
Old Jan 30, 2024, 6:07 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Jimval26
What have you done for me lately JetBlue? Besides finishing last in the rankings of U.S. airlines, providing an app and website that fails every time I try to manage a trip when there was a flight time change, and confiscating customers' travel bank money because customers can't use a credit card, points, and travel bank points in one transaction?
Yes, B6 is always touting their “award winning” service, and honestly at this point I don’t even know what they are referring to. I haven’t found their cabin crew to be particularly noteworthy in years, and everything else is a dumpster fire.
olouie and Jimval26 like this.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 6:48 am

Programs: JetBlue
Originally Posted by dw
Yes, B6 is always touting their “award winning” service, and honestly at this point I don’t even know what they are referring to. I haven’t found their cabin crew to be particularly noteworthy in years, and everything else is a dumpster fire.
JetBlue is nothing but a P.O.S. Our current flights were changed multiple times. My wife and I have separate bookings. I just discovered that my seat was retained but they booted her and she has no seat selection. Manage trip on both of our bookings crashes or says not eligible for online changes. I've never seen an airline so pathetic.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 7:54 am

If I can ever get rid of my travel bank, seems every flight using it is delayed and I get more money in my travel bank. Is that done on purpose to keep customers? Perhaps I should just bite the bullet and walk away from the $300 I have there now. Well, the last flight was just $50 back to travel bank.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 11:11 am

Programs: DL Gold, HHDiamond, IHG Gold Regular Joe Everywhere Else
I still like the RSW/PBI to BOS routes on B6, but I was super disappointed when they left BOI.
TravellingChris likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.