Search

The ultimate thread on buy-ups at OLCI

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2024 | 5:19 am
5 Years on Site

Programs: FB Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Bogwoppit
Husband and I on same flight today AMS - YUL

Both on different bookings. On landing at AMS from GLA we were notified, on the app, that we could upgrade.

$592 CAD for him
$1479 CAD for me

both same fare type on booking, I upgraded my outbound. No idea why such a huge discrepancy.

Declined. We have bulkhead seats and it is a daytime flight.
Před you about your flight to YUL.
Bogwoppit likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2024 | 5:27 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by 747jetter
Před you about your flight to YUL.

Thank you, received and replied.
Old Jun 12, 2024 | 5:57 am

Programs: Flying Blue - Platinum
WAW-AMS at 99 EUR tmrw, with 8/8 open

Interesting enough when they swapped from the E190 to the E175, they added a row of J and booted me to row 4
Old Jun 12, 2024 | 10:38 am
5 Years on Site

AMS-KRS / KRS-AMS both 55€, flights were half empty
Old Jun 13, 2024 | 11:20 pm
15 Years on Site

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
GVA-AMS for €200. Declined it and had an empty seat next to me in the E-jet, a bottle of water and welcome from the crew (Plat effect working) and no wanderbox.

C was almost full for a change so KLM asked me to pay to have a neighbor. Go figure.
Old Jun 15, 2024 | 11:32 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus
30 Countries Visited1M15 Years on Site

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Well, it’s official. Always thought this was the case but now it’s clear as day.

Checked in for a flight to South America today. Colleague (no status) is on a separate booking but the check in was done for both bookings at the same time. When selecting seats for my colleague the upgrade from PE to Business is 379 euro. For myself it’s 999. We are both on the same flight, same exact fare. Check in together.

The platinum effect I guess. Thanks KLM for actively and purposefully screwing your most loyal customers.
HB-IWC, Goldorak, atflyer and 5 others like this.
Old Jun 16, 2024 | 9:17 am

Originally Posted by Xandrios
Well, it’s official. Always thought this was the case but now it’s clear as day.

Checked in for a flight to South America today. Colleague (no status) is on a separate booking but the check in was done for both bookings at the same time. When selecting seats for my colleague the upgrade from PE to Business is 379 euro. For myself it’s 999. We are both on the same flight, same exact fare. Check in together.

The platinum effect I guess. Thanks KLM for actively and purposefully screwing your most loyal customers.
We had the same experience, two people, separate bookings, same fare class, fare paid. One OLCI offer was more than double the other. Neither of us currently have status. So is this about status, or some weird algorithm?
Old Jun 16, 2024 | 10:00 am
40 Countries Visited1M10 Years on Site

Programs: Skyteam E+ (FB PfL), Latam Black, LH MM, Iberia plus, HH: Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy: Plat
Originally Posted by Bogwoppit
We had the same experience, two people, separate bookings, same fare class, fare paid. One OLCI offer was more than double the other. Neither of us currently have status. So is this about status, or some weird algorithm?
Interesting data point - contradicts some of the guesses we've read here.
Old Jun 16, 2024 | 12:56 pm
5 Years on Site

The first time I got this was about 10-11 years ago, back in the days of angled flat seats. Got an upgrade offer at AMS for a 250 EUR Y-J upgrade AMS-BKK.

They got me good and hard with that one. Haven't flown Y since (on AF/KLM).
Old Jun 16, 2024 | 10:36 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus
30 Countries Visited1M15 Years on Site

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Xandrios
Ok, I now feel a little bad about being harsh. Guess that Platinum knife cuts both ways. We were both upgraded from PE to the last two unsold business class seats a few hours before departure. Me having Plat status, my colleague no status whatsoever. Not sure how that happened as I assume that there were more elites on board. But, definitely not complaining in this instance.

In probably 25 or so long haul flights while having status this is my first time to get an upgrade on KLM. A very welcome one in fact as this was an 11 hr flight.
MichielR and atflyer like this.
Old Jun 17, 2024 | 6:45 am
15 Years on Site

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by MichielR
GVA-AMS for €200. Declined it and had an empty seat next to me in the E-jet, a bottle of water and welcome from the crew (Plat effect working) and no wanderbox.

C was almost full for a change so KLM asked me to pay to have a neighbor. Go figure.
And on the return, I again declined the €200 upgrade and instead stayed in my seat in the first row behind the curtain. As no C pax were interested in a Wanderbox the FA offered one to the platinum pax in my row and the row behind. So I got a Wanderbox (not too bad actually), a neighbor and a seat in the first rows for free. Again no incentive to pay for the upgrade because of Platinum status and related effect .
AnaTFN and atflyer like this.
Old Jun 28, 2024 | 11:49 am

AMS-VLC $107 no. Half cabin upgraded free at departure. (16 C)
VLC-AMS $128 no. No seats taken at T-24. Still no C purchased at T-1. But still $128. And now a warning that if you purchase the upgrade there may be no meal.

looking forward to the aforementioned platinum effect as we are in row 2, with no C taken.

so, after take off two girl friends of the FA came to the front from main and were then shown to 2 of the 4 empty C. So no platinum affect for the two of us in row 2.

Last edited by shoodawg; Jun 29, 2024 at 3:52 pm
Old Jul 2, 2024 | 2:53 am
50 Countries Visited1M15 Years on Site

AMS-LAX at OLCI from Y to C 1099 euro or 112500 miles (PE no offer, prob. full).

I also got the attached message to get advantange of the "expected light load". Funnily enough I don't have the option at my current Comfort seat (seat next to me is empty) but instead wants to move me to a whole empty row.
Attached Images  
Old Jul 2, 2024 | 5:06 pm
10 Countries Visited40 Countries Visited

Programs: FlyingBlue
AMS-ORD at OLCI (flying tomorrow): EUR 379 to upgrade W to J.
Didn't do it and didn't check the price in miles because I didn't want to lose my seat and meal selection.
If I get the same offer on the way back, I'll take it because it's an overnight flight, but right now, they're charging EUR 1900 for that, so that's a solid no
Old Jul 4, 2024 | 3:12 am

Programs: Flying Blue - Platinum
ALC-AMS at 199 EUR with 3/12 open

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.