Search

KLM to allow use of personal electronic devices

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2014, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
KLM to allow use of personal electronic devices

Originally Posted by KLM Media Relations
As of April 1st, KLM will allow the use of portable electronic devices (PED) during all phases of the flight. Any equipment operating with an antenna still must be set in 'flight mode' whenever the aircraft doors are closed.

Portable electronic devices include smartphones, tablets, e-readers, camera’s and small handheld game consoles. This provides more convenience for our customers, as use is currently prohibited during take-off and landing.

This is in alignment with Air France, with whom the use of PED’s during the whole flight has also been recently implemented.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 6:21 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Great!

How is AF handling audio players, eg, iPod? I'd love to be able to keep playing music, but something tells me they will not allow wearing headphones..
Old Mar 21, 2014, 6:27 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Silver, MR Lifetime Gold
Nice!
Old Mar 21, 2014, 6:56 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by Xandrios
Great!

How is AF handling audio players, eg, iPod? I'd love to be able to keep playing music, but something tells me they will not allow wearing headphones..
Headphones are forbidden during take of and landing, and should be. Any security anouncement may get lost through a noise cancelling headphone, or loud music!
Old Mar 21, 2014, 10:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Zembla
Headphones are forbidden during take of and landing, and should be. Any security anouncement may get lost through a noise cancelling headphone, or loud music!
On BA you can wear your headphones throughout, including the safety briefing.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 10:41 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Zembla
So what then do deaf people do?
Old Mar 21, 2014, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gotta love the arbitrariness. From April 1st it is perfectly fine and safe to play with your PED, but on March 31st you will still be endangering the safety of the aircraft.

The airlines and aviation authorities have been playing us for fools for all these years. Good to see that they have come to their senses, though. There is more than enough nanny state hysteria at ground level already.

Johan
Old Mar 21, 2014, 3:07 pm

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by andset1191
U2 are very strict on telling people to remove them.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 11:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL Silver, MR Plat, nobody everywhere else
I was on a BA flight yesterday ex-LHR and we were specifically instructed to remove headphones until completion of the safety video/briefing.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 2:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kshanew
I was on a BA flight yesterday ex-LHR and we were specifically instructed to remove headphones until completion of the safety video/briefing.
They 'ask you' to remove headphones for the briefing, but do not 'make you'.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 7:30 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL Silver, MR Plat, nobody everywhere else
They 'ask you' to remove headphones for the briefing, but do not 'make you'.
Not sure if you're just looking for a semantic argument but it was only a data point for those that might be interested.....
Old Mar 24, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by mfkne
So what then do deaf people do?
Very clever. I suggest that security briefing and announcements are to be abandoned completely, because deaf people can't hear them and blind people can't see them.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kshanew
They will not insist, however, if you blithely continue wearing them.
Old May 16, 2014, 4:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Passengers are now also allowed to switch of the flight mode on their phones and SMS/call/make connection with the network when the aircraft is taxiing to the gate after landing.
Old May 16, 2014, 5:01 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Xandrios
Great!

To answer my own question:

The announcements made by KLM cabin crew mention that smartphones are allowed during the whole flight. They mention using antennas as an exclusion. Nothing about headphones, and the past 4-6 flights I have had no problems actually using headphones during take off and landing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.