Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > KLM Flying Dutchman
Reload this Page >

Flying Blue members (any level) get the 1st checked bag free on intraEuro KL flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying Blue members (any level) get the 1st checked bag free on intraEuro KL flights?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2014, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Is this true?

I have a Delta Skymiles number and have booked a KLM-operated intra-Europe flight directly from Delta, but if it is indeed true that FLying Blue gets the first checked bag free in economy class, then I would be tempted to join Flying Blue.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
Is this true?

I have a Delta Skymiles number and have booked a KLM-operated intra-Europe flight directly from Delta, but if it is indeed true that FLying Blue gets the first checked bag free in economy class, then I would be tempted to join Flying Blue.
yes it's true
Old Apr 29, 2014, 2:24 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
It is the current situation for KL operated flights. It is not expected to last indefinitely.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

I booked the KLM flight with Delta (so I used Skymiles) for a KLM flight in september... is it too late to join Flying Blue and get the free checked bag?
Old Apr 29, 2014, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
If you have already paid for the baggage, then yes, it's too late.
Otherwise, it's not too late.

KLM to charge check-in luggage for European flights
Old Apr 29, 2014, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

It's funny. I was trying to pay for the luggage few days ago (before I discovered the benefit of Flying Blue membership), and it didn't let me pay $15for it on the website.... I think this is a bug for tickets booked with Delta (ticket number starting 006). The allowable baggage in the KLM reservation website is still showing 0 for the flight in my reservation.

I guess I have to make an international call to KLM in Netherlands to check if I can still get the check-in bag for free.

It's so much hassle dealing with KLM from USA.... they don't have any live agent in USA. All KLM call in US got re-directed to Delta, and Delta agents know very little about how KLM works.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
If you have Skyteam Elite or Elite Plus status via Delta, then the bag is free anyway. It's not just FB members who get a waiver on the first bag fee - so too do Skyteam Elite or Elite Plus members from all skyteam partner programmes.

And stop stressing. You don't need to call anyone. Just quote your Flying Blue account number (or your Delta number if you have Skyteam Elite or Elite Plus status) at checkin and first bag is free.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 3:02 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
What's the route and is the ticket purely intra-EU?
Old Apr 30, 2014, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

I am traveling from AMS to PRG with a throwaway ticketing (I booked a return from PRG to AMS, but not going to use it).
Old Apr 30, 2014, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
If you have already paid for the baggage, then yes, it's too late.
Otherwise, it's not too late.

KLM to charge check-in luggage for European flights
It's definitely too late for me. The purchase went through and my credit card is officially charged $15 for the first bag.. tried calling Netherlands customer service to reverse it, but was told bag fee is nonrefundable.

Wish I discovered the benefit sooner!
Old Jun 19, 2014, 2:13 am

Programs: FB Gold (ST Elite+), AZ Freccia Alata (ST Elite+), CI Gold (ST Elite), TK M&M Silver (*A Silver)
See this for the upcoming changes to this policy...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.