Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any reason to keep flying KLM?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2014, 3:04 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
If you fly from AMS and want a decent schedule of direct flights throughout Europe and beyond, then, for you it is the most convenient option.

There are a lot of downsides - you need to decide if it's worth taking connecting flights, or switching the *A and using a raft of different airlines for a flying better experience, more miles and better redemption opportunities.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 2:47 pm

Programs: Lufthansa SEN, FB Gold, BA Silver
KLM is ok in terms of seats, schedule etc. I don't like Air France but SAS is much much worse. Lufthansa offers much better service (more professional and less random than the service at KLM) but the cabin is a bit cramped for tall people like me even in Business.

My favorite airline to fly within Europe is BA. More space and comfortable seat, good and friendly service and the snacks you get in Eco are actually pretty tasty time and time again.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 3:52 am

Programs: FB Gold
For me I fly KLM because the route network and connection times are better via AMS than via LHR (the other alternative for me being BA).

Like others I do feel KLM has gone downhill with their 'penny piching' - the fees for baggage for non-elites is the 'worst' of them, but the EC seats, the devluation of FB miles doesn't sit well either.

If BA offered better connections I would no doubt be off to Heahtrow instead of Schipol.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 5:15 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, AY Platinum, FB Gold, BT VIP
Originally Posted by wijnands
  • In the Nordics, where I seem to travel the most these days, (...)
If you travel to nordic countries quite often from AMS, your choice is limited to KLM and SAS/Widerøe. Unless you want to make a stop-over in Helsinki, Frankfurt or London, of course. And whatever you may think of KLM, it beats flying SAS by far.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 4:20 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by orbitmic
a couple of weeks ago, while I was flying over a beautifully clear-skied Europe at about 5pm and enjoying the gorgeous view from my 4F window, the FA asked me (rather abruptly) if I could close the blinds because the lady sat in 4A thought there was too much light coming into the cabin "and she has paid for that seat while you got yours for free!" [ie as a platinum for life in my case]. I considered telling her exactly what I thought of her comment but chose to do what I would have done if the person in 4A had behaved like a civilised human being and just come to ask me if I would mind lowering the blind as she was disrupted by the sun, ie I lowered it half way.
Wow - just wow! I too dislike being singled out by the CC due to my perceived "status" (on BA), but had anyone told me I essentially had my seat "for free" I don't think I would have been able to keep my mouth shut. I admire your restraint.

All European FFPs are the same really - you need higher status (or spend) to get any of the perks that make travelling more comfortable (choice of seats, upgrades, lounges, recognition etc.). I don't think KLM is any worse than others in this respect. A year or so ago, when I knew I'd be partly living/working in NL I did look into focussing on Flying Blue rather than BAEC but given my main airport is still LHR, it would not have worked so easily for me. But if, Like Henry III, I lived in GLA or EDI or even (possibly) MAN I would certainly switch to KLM over BA - no brainer.

I'm still surprised by one fact: Even though I fly BA a lot, I look forward more to my flights on KLM. It's a quirky airline - but in a good way (for me at least)
Old Oct 21, 2014, 3:09 pm

• Choice of 4/5 daily flights from BHX
  • Extensive network via AMS
  • I do enjoy connecting at Schiphol
  • Friendly staff
  • Home feeling on board, even though I'm not Dutch

...and much more.

I tried LHR (BA) a few times, but it takes ages to get there (about 1:30 hours to central London and then underground plus Heathrow Express to the airport...). It was certainly easier to fly BA when I was based up North (near MAN), but that's a different matter.

G
Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:36 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Silver, MR Lifetime Gold
I think KLM is overall a decent airline. My reasons for flying KL:
- Good TATL network (with partners like AF and DL... I have yet to fly AZ TATL and I don't think that will change).
- Decent in-flight service: it's mostly good, some excellent, and bad is really rare (but still happens)
- AMS is AWESOME for connections. (As a plus, Amsterdam is a great city for a long layover and convenient connections to/from the airport.)
- The price is right. Obviously it depends on the market, but for my routes SkyTeam carriers (including KL) are consistently the cheapest.
- Some nice touches: the delft houses in J - for the lucky ones who fly J, ability to UG long-haul flights once in a while (if you're willing to fork up the cash), etc
Old Mar 11, 2015, 6:54 am

Updating my previous posting: *-alliance excellently covers central Asia and Southern Africa. TK Miles&Smiles requires only 25 flights for gold status. And most importantly: Air Canada, SAS, LH are easy on the upgrades. In the past three months, I had more upgrades with * than ever with AF/KL (6 years KLM platinum). Main advantage of Skyteam: Aeroflot is in it and covers the entire former Soviet Union.

Last edited by aufmatt; May 14, 2015 at 6:22 am
Old Mar 11, 2015, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by aufmatt
Main advantage of Skyteam: Aeroflot is in it and covers the entire former Soviet Union.
Well, I guess that's an advantage for those living in/from/with business interests in Russia.

For me, it's totally irrelevant. I've never travelled with Aeroflot and have never travelled to/through Russia.

And frankly, I'm unlikely ever to (in the immediate future, at least).
Old Mar 11, 2015, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Well, I guess that's an advantage for those living in/from/with business interests in Russia.
Which holds for all of us. Looks like we will only ever meet in AMS or FRA! Or maybe we already did...

Last edited by aufmatt; May 14, 2015 at 6:22 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.