Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schedule change - change possibilities

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2015, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PLT, IHG Ambassador Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, BWR Diamond
Schedule change - change possibilities

Hi,

I booked a multi destination trip to China and one of my flights PEK-CTU was changed, the departure time is still the same (14:45) but the scheduled landing time changed from 17:40 to 18:00.
I have a meeting downtown that day which would have been hard to get to on time even with the original landing time but now its even more difficult especially with the traffic during the early evening.
The flight is a KLM flight operated by china southern and my ticket is a semi-flex business class ticket (change fee 240$).

Do you guys think its fair to ask KLM to rebook my ticket without the change fee a day before so I can make it on time? for what its worth there is no price difference between the flights.

One more thing, both KLM and CZ never contacted me regarding the change, any idea why? did you encounter something similar?
Also, do you guys have any Idea why only the landing time changed, everything else is the same including aircraft type.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I think you will not be able to change for free on the back of a mere 20-minute change.

It does seem rather strange to be arriving at 17:40/18:00 for a same-day (business) meeting! They may find this story a bit tall if there are earlier flights you could originally have booked.

And a 20-minute change is, after all, relatively minor.

Let us know what happens!
Old Mar 8, 2015, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
You have nothing to loose to ask, but for just 20 min, they might not be very open for discussion, especially with Chinese airlines involved.
Why did they not advise you ? it all depends when is your flight. If it is in several weeks/months, then they still had plenty of time to do it. If close to departure, then they the airline or your TA should have advised you. But they may have think that because it's just a minor change in the arrival time (and not departure), it doesn't worth to advise the pax.
And why this change in arrival time ? hard to say. Many explanations possible e.g. longer taxi times expected at a busy time at the departing or arriving airport, change in flight plan due to planned airspace restriction (for military exercises by example), etc.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PLT, IHG Ambassador Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, BWR Diamond
Irishguy28, I agree that a 20 minute change isn't major but flights leaving PEK are usually running late anyway so arriving on time would be tricky.
As for same day flights, there are no available earlier flights that day so the only option is to take a flight a day earlier and spend the night in the city or switch to a different carrier.
As to my itinerary, its not strange at all, in fact I'm leaving CTU just a few hours later and was hoping that I won't have to spend the night over there.

I found something interesting, all the CZ flights that were originally planed as 14:45-17:40 are now 14:45-18:00 so I guess it has to do with the typical PEK taxi delays.

As to informing pax about schedule changes, in my experience (mainly with lufthansa) I was always informed about changes even as small as 10 minutes (and was always asked if its OK or if I would like to make any changes free of charge).
Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by TLVtraveler
As to informing pax about schedule changes, in my experience (mainly with lufthansa) I was always informed about changes even as small as 10 minutes (and was always asked if its OK or if I would like to make any changes free of charge).
You have to know that mainland Chinese airlines have still a lot to learn in term of customer service.

Last edited by Goldorak; Mar 9, 2015 at 2:55 pm
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Goldorak, thats exactly why I booked the flight from KLM and not directly from CZ, So I would have some extra protection against CZ customer service.

As to my ticket, luckily I booked it with KLM Tel Aviv office which according to Israel's consumer laws entitles me to a free cancellation or change if I feel that the new schedule doesn't work for me.

I must point out that I'm really impressed with the level of customer service I received from KLM's Tel Aviv office, quick replay, knowledgeable staff and willingness to help. given their flexibility and willingness to help I know I will choose KLM over other carriers in the future.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by TLVtraveler
Goldorak, thats exactly why I booked the flight from KLM and not directly from CZ, So I would have some extra protection against CZ customer service.

As to my ticket, luckily I booked it with KLM Tel Aviv office which according to Israel's consumer laws entitles me to a free cancellation or change if I feel that the new schedule doesn't work for me.

I must point out that I'm really impressed with the level of customer service I received from KLM's Tel Aviv office, quick replay, knowledgeable staff and willingness to help. given their flexibility and willingness to help I know I will choose KLM over other carriers in the future.
Very good for you. I think you did it right booking it under the KL code-share. I mean that you are not avoiding all the problems (as the operating carrier remains the Chinese airline) but, at least, you can expect a better treatment and consideration from KL. And obviously that's what they did for you ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.