Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > KLM Flying Dutchman
Reload this Page >

Problem with misspelling on last name (1 letter) from Amsterdam to JFK with KLM

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2015, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Hi to all,
I have a reservation made with KLM for march 2016 flying from Amsterdam to New york JFK, performed by an online travel agent (big mistake).
The problem I have is that the last name of one of the passengers instead of appearing in the reservation as Berastegui , it appears as Berastegi.

I have contacted KLM who said that the Travel Agent is the only person allowed to perform changes on reservation.
The Travel Agent sais that it is not allowed to perform changes on reservation.

I have entered the reservation code into KLM website and I have modified the info in secure flight API data in order to include full name (with 2 surnames as appears on passport) and I will also ask for the ESTA with full name with both surnames.
Do you think that i could get in trouble due to that missing "u" ?
Old Sep 11, 2015, 11:45 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Moving to the KLM Flying Dutchman forum for further discussion. /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Sep 11, 2015, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JY1024
Moving to the KLM Flying Dutchman forum for further discussion. /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
OK thank you and sorry for writing in wrong forum (newbye)
Old Sep 11, 2015, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
There is no need to post your questions in several forums. You already asked the same in the Skyteam forum.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 7:28 am

Programs: FB Plat; BAEC Gold
You may need to pursue this with the OTA. This is one problem with using these, unless the fare is significantly cheaper I always book direct.

There maybe an issue with your ESTA application (providing you need one) with names spelt differently. I think KLM will see it is a genuine mistake but U.S. Immigration may not be so relaxed.

Keep pushing the OTA and escalate. They will be able to fix it but they may need pushing as you have found out.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 8:04 am

minor misspellings are not a problem and very common. One letter will not cause a problem as long as correct name is in API. Do a search and you will fine many examples.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DaveNCL
You may need to pursue this with the OTA. This is one problem with using these, unless the fare is significantly cheaper I always book direct.

There maybe an issue with your ESTA application (providing you need one) with names spelt differently. I think KLM will see it is a genuine mistake but U.S. Immigration may not be so relaxed.

Keep pushing the OTA and escalate. They will be able to fix it but they may need pushing as you have found out.
I think that once we arrive to the U.S airport, U.S inmigration should only check my ESTA and passport and they have the same information(Also I have modified the secure flight information(a.k.a API) to correct it). The only thing that would have that incorrect spelling would be the boarding pass that i think that once you get into the plane is not needed anymore
Old Sep 13, 2015, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by erik123
minor misspellings are not a problem and very common. One letter will not cause a problem as long as correct name is in API. Do a search and you will fine many examples.
OK Thank you for your reply!, yes as you say API and ESTA will have SAME info and spelling as passport
Old Sep 13, 2015, 3:40 pm

Programs: Working towards being a Bronze member
You shouldn't have a problem
Old Sep 14, 2015, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by dvdstbn
I think that once we arrive to the U.S airport, U.S inmigration should only check my ESTA and passport and they have the same information(Also I have modified the secure flight information(a.k.a API) to correct it). The only thing that would have that incorrect spelling would be the boarding pass that i think that once you get into the plane is not needed anymore
But in order for you to board your flight, KLM will have to reconcile your ticket with your ESTA and the fact that your surname doesn't match might cause a problem.

You say that "API and ESTA will have SAME info and spelling as passport", but this is clearly not the case; the API will have the surname as spelled on your ticket.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 2:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
But in order for you to board your flight, KLM will have to reconcile your ticket with your ESTA and the fact that your surname doesn't match might cause a problem.

You say that "API and ESTA will have SAME info and spelling as passport", but this is clearly not the case; the API will have the surname as spelled on your ticket.
In my KLM private area I can modify the data provided to the API. This includes name surname passport number sleep location...

Also...
With my ESTA KLM will know that "David Berastegui" is allowed to enter into the United States
My passport says that I am David Berastegui
the fact is that the boarding pass says "David Berastegi"

Last edited by dvdstbn; Sep 14, 2015 at 2:32 am
Old Sep 14, 2015, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by dvdstbn
In my KLM private area I can modify the data provided to the API. This includes name surname passport number sleep location...
I am not sure I would rely on that.

Name and Surname is NOT an editable part of the API information stored in your KLM profile. It picks up the name and surname that you registered your Flying Blue account under; these cannot be self-edited.

You also cannot self-edit the name associated with your ticket - so there will remain a discrepancy with your travel documents until you get the OTA to correct the surname.

You still run the risk of an anomaly being flagged when you come to check in. The surname on your ticket does not match that on your passport; I don't know how "sensitive" or intelligent the systems are, so whether or not these systems can tolerate the surname being one character out, when everything else should match, I do not know.

My guess is that you will be unable to check in online (this is certainly NOT unusual for tickets involving travel to the US) and will instead have to check-in at a desk at the airport where an agent can better understand your situation.

But please try it out, and report back on what your experiences were.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 3:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
I am not sure I would rely on that.

Name and Surname is NOT an editable part of the API information stored in your KLM profile. It picks up the name and surname that you registered your Flying Blue account under; these cannot be self-edited.

You also cannot self-edit the name associated with your ticket - so there will remain a discrepancy with your travel documents until you get the OTA to correct the surname.

You still run the risk of an anomaly being flagged when you come to check in. The surname on your ticket does not match that on your passport; I don't know how "sensitive" or intelligent the systems are, so whether or not these systems can tolerate the surname being one character out, when everything else should match, I do not know.

My guess is that you will be unable to check in online (this is certainly NOT unusual for tickets involving travel to the US) and will instead have to check-in at a desk at the airport where an agent can better understand your situation.

But please try it out, and report back on what your experiences were.
In my case... I have 2 passengers info in my reservation locator and when i go to the API data of the trip, I have more fields to modify such as name ,surname, date of birth... (probably because i am trying to modify them on the trip to U.S.)
BTW: thanks for taking that picture!

Last edited by dvdstbn; Sep 14, 2015 at 3:22 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.