Wiki Posts
Search

Sky Priority Security check at Schiphol

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2017 | 2:31 am
10 Years on Site

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by pjhartog
Yesterday at T2 - because flying with the whole family and normal line (no SP). The lines were short but all systems were at a stop because all secondaries were totally backup up....
When we went thru from our 8 pieces 7 were sent to secondary. Chargers and all other electronics were out but still.
My wife prefers to keep her underwear in her hand luggage - so this was in a plastic bag and that was hand search extensively but since there was nothing in there but fabric, in the end ok.

The sign said 0 - 5 minutes waiting time - that was correct up to reaching the actual security check - from there another 20 minutes to make it thru.

One of our sons apparently purchased a credit card knife a few weeks ago - forbidden in NL as it turns out. That was in his wallet and came thru without any issue.

I made him throw it in the garbage while we were having coffee after security.

That is how effective they are at Schiphol security !
You are very lucky. KMar will always file a report and the fine is €150. https://www.haarlemsdagblad.nl/nieuw...medium=twitter
Old Jul 20, 2017 | 2:55 am

Programs: FB plat for life
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
You are very lucky. KMar will always file a report and the fine is €150. https://www.haarlemsdagblad.nl/nieuw...medium=twitter
Just forwarded to my 14 year old - hopes he is a bit more aware of it next time.

But even more so - bad they did not catch it at security.
Old Jul 20, 2017 | 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pjhartog
But even more so - bad they did not catch it at security.
They were too busy looking for murderous cameras, killer cables, lethal umbrellas and homicidal handbags.

Johan
Old Jul 20, 2017 | 2:54 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Originally Posted by johan rebel
They were too busy looking for murderous cameras, killer cables, lethal umbrellas and homicidal handbags.

Johan
Beat me to it
Old Jul 20, 2017 | 3:13 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

When I went through last week, I asked if I needed to take cables out (I had quite a few) - the answer was no.

Apparently some new rules for baggage screening of electronics for flights to the US just kicked in within the last day or so:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/airpor...-u-s-1.4212727

Given that that there is now central security for all non-Schengen flights, presumably they have to apply the US standards to all passengers.

Johan
Old Jul 20, 2017 | 4:52 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
They have told me numerous times that you do or do not have to take out cables, but the general result (about 90% of the time) regardless of what they state is that bags go to secondary. It's best to just assume it.
Old Jul 20, 2017 | 7:05 pm
10 Years on Site

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
When I went through last week, I asked if I needed to take cables out (I had quite a few) - the answer was no.

Apparently some new rules for baggage screening of electronics for flights to the US just kicked in within the last day or so:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/airpor...-u-s-1.4212727

Given that that there is now central security for all non-Schengen flights, presumably they have to apply the US standards to all passengers.
The extra checks will be performed upon boarding. This is for selected passengers. Up until now, this was random but a significant increase in selectees is expected. KLM has already takes measures that crew needs to report earlier at the aircraft to avoid delays.
Old Jul 20, 2017 | 8:32 pm

I can confirm, this happened yesterday for AMS-JFK on KL643. Didn't get selected out of sheer random luck but it was a bit of a chaos at the gate.
Old Jul 21, 2017 | 5:50 pm

Are you saying that at Schiphol Skyteam Silvers are treated differently at different security checkpoints?

Originally Posted by mfkne
It makes no sense that, now that 1A is open, Silver gets the benefit back one checkpoint but not another.
Old Jul 22, 2017 | 12:52 am
15 Years on Site

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Are you saying that at Schiphol Skyteam Silvers are treated differently at different security checkpoints?
Based on your reports, yes. SkyTeam Elite should *not* have access to priority security at AMS. This benefit only ever existed for FB Silver, and they had it removed January 2016.
Old Jul 26, 2017 | 1:16 pm
5 Years on Site

Do these security nutters make these things up as they go along?
They clearly do, earlier this month a new rule was in place "only laptop in the tray" and "laptop must be out of the sleeve", since I had 2 with me, that made a total of 6 trays for me instead of just 4.
This week, putting my laptop in the sleeve as usual with all cables next to it, and the tray cleared with no issues.

Much to Ms. Ditto's dismay, I somehow managed to get all my 3 trays, while her handbag went for secondary because of about 5 coins in her purse... at least there were only 3 trays waiting in the secondary queue before her, by the time they were done with her handbag, secondary was full and clogged the entire belt...
Old Jul 27, 2017 | 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ditto
by the time they were done with her handbag, secondary was full and clogged the entire belt...
Did it take them that long to count those five coins, or did they also weigh them, analyze their alloy composition and check for counterfeits?

Johan
Old Jul 27, 2017 | 12:26 pm

I don't know how many non- Schengen security checkpoints there are for passengers originating at AMS. I'm assuming there are two, the one I went through (in the non-KLM Terminal by the Starbucks and Albert Heijn mini-market and the one by the KLM ticket counters.

So while I confirmed that Silvers got priority security at the one I went through (I understand it is contrary to the rules), the checkpoint by the KLM ticket counter does not give priority to Silvers?

So the take-away from this is if you are Skyteam Elite, you should go through the security checkpoint that is NOT by the KLM ticket counters.

Correct?

Originally Posted by mfkne
Based on your reports, yes. SkyTeam Elite should *not* have access to priority security at AMS. This benefit only ever existed for FB Silver, and they had it removed January 2016.
Old Jul 27, 2017 | 1:28 pm
15 Years on Site

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
There are top checkpoints for non-Schengen departures that KLM passengers can use - departures 2 and 3. It sounds like there is an inconsistency, I would not bank on that to remain in place.
Old Jul 28, 2017 | 12:25 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
Just as a data point: Today at 7:30am Sky Priority Departures 2 (non-Schengen). Processing time for security and departure immigration was a total of 20 mins.

It was very organized, many lanes open, also the eGates. Certainly ten minutes of the 20 have to be attributed to the fact that a family ahead of me (they were the only ones ahead of me), showed extremly poor behaviour, in particular the father. Firstly he brought no less than seven computers and one large camera (in addition to the one or two items of his family members). Then he also had three bags of liquids ... at this point I hoped he was sent back to checkin, but he wasn't. Then, all family members would refuse to stand in the body scanner as directed (they did not speak neither English nor Dutch and would also not understand the pictograms). They were adament to be addressed in French, but none of the security staff spoke French. So this took forever, but is clearly not the fault of AMS airport or KLM or the Dutch authorities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.