Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Schiphol opens new check in area (1A)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2017, 5:21 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by johan rebel
I guess 1A is a good choice if you have a Star Alliance flight departing from a B gate, but for most KL flights it is just a long detour.
Lots of the schengen flights of KL cityhopper leaves from the B gates but if you want to go to the lounge that's quite a detour indeed.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Gajan
Schiphol recently opened a new check-in area to be used for Schengen destinations. This new terminal will be used by KLM, Lufthansa, Austrian Airlines, Swiss en LOT Polish Airlines.

A few links to articles:
NOS
Parool
English
https://news.schiphol.com/schiphol-o...eparture-hall/
Old Apr 7, 2017, 10:34 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
So if I understand correctly nothing would change for the Elite Skyteam flyer - the Skypriority check in (which was recently renewed) will stay put. For non-elites it would be more painful, example is KL1977 - CheckIn at 1A and departure from D71. That is *quite* a walk.

For non-elite *A pax this could actually be considered an improvement; as the walk to the B gates will be fairly short. I believe all *A airlines depart from B.

So who will be taking the space at Departures 1/2 where LH/LX/OS/LOT used to be? I can imagine (hope) that full-service airlines like (eg) Finair and Aegean, who now use Departures 3, will move over there. That would definitely save a lot of walking..

Now if only HV would be booted from Departures 1/2 to 3 that'd be perfect..

Last edited by Xandrios; Apr 7, 2017 at 10:48 am
Old Apr 7, 2017, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Xandrios
So who will be taking the space at Departures 1/2 where LH/LX/OS/LOT used to be? I can imagine (hope) that full-service airlines like (eg) Finair and Aegean, who now use Departures 3, will move over there. That would definitely save a lot of walking..
I hope TK moves there too. That would also save a lot of walking.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Schiphol did not mention specific airlines, but the plan is indeed to move some Schengen airlines from Departures 3 to 1. However, some of the space freed will be used for construction. A mezzanine just like in Departures 3 will be build to increase capacity.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy
I hope TK moves there too. That would also save a lot of walking.
But don't most TK flights leave from a G gate, at the very opposite end of the airport?

Johan
Old Apr 7, 2017, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by johan rebel
But don't most TK flights leave from a G gate, at the very opposite end of the airport?

Johan
Exactly.

It would be crazy to move non-Schengen *A airlines - Turkish, United, Air Canada - to check-in 1A.

This would requite a walk from one end of the airport to the other.

I thought our FT audience would be more easily able to grasp the implications of siting a new check-in area by the B gates.

The majority of the Schengen *A airlines have been moved here, which makes sense. There is not enough room for them all (TP, A3, for example).

To express a desire for non-Schengen airlines to be moved to the end of the Schengen side of the airport therefore doesn't make much sense.

But perhaps they should have done that and left KLM entirely in its central location!
Old Apr 10, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by stimpy
Thanks Ralph. This would be great. I've had this in the UK for a couple of years now.
Current goal for the program to go live is June.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 2:07 am

Stupid question: I have a ticket on VY which generally departs from B gates, but on Schiphol's website is marked as "Departures 3". Security won't make a fuss that I go through Departures 1A, right?

Thank you!
Old Apr 12, 2017, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by malmostoso
Stupid question: I have a ticket on VY which generally departs from B gates, but on Schiphol's website is marked as "Departures 3". Security won't make a fuss that I go through Departures 1A, right?

Thank you!
Departures 3 is where the checkin counters are, if your flight are within Schengen then you have to enter at either 1 or 1A, if it is non-Schengen that either 2 or 3.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 3:06 am

Perfect, thank you.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Mirk
Lots of the schengen flights of KL cityhopper leaves from the B gates but if you want to go to the lounge that's quite a detour indeed.
If you have access to the lounge, then you are travelling in First/Business or have status, and should therefore use the regular KLM SkyPriority check-in area, not 1a
Old Apr 12, 2017, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28
If you have access to the lounge, then you should use the regular KLM SkyPriority check-in area, not 1a
Privium members departing from B/C have the option of trying their luck in 1A. If, upon leaving the ClubLounge, they find that T1 is a zoo, they could consider heading over to 1A instead.

Johan
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:40 am

Went through 1A this morning, about 30 minutes to go through security, priority line was empty.

The vast majority of passengers was flying KL, if *A airlines were to pay for exclusive access to this security check it would make AMS a very civilised experience.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:47 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
This morning on the 6:45 AMS-CDG the captain announced that they had to leave passengers behind who hadn't made it through security on time. He apologized for the long lines and said that KLM was filing conplaints to Schiphol for all this.

The regular line for security at 1 looked extremely long to me. Sky Priority only took a few minutes.

Last edited by Zembla; Apr 18, 2017 at 2:42 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.