Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Impact on Schiphol & KL Network of new MSP-CDG NWKL flight

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2007, 2:37 am
Original Poster

Impact on Schiphol & KL Network of new MSP-CDG NWKL flight

In the Northwest forum discussion has begun of the newly announced non-stop, NW operated NWKL JV flight MSP-CDG.

Taken together with some of the other thin lines being implemented, if the trend continues, what will be the impact on Schiphol and the KL (blue) network?

It would probably be a good thing if the negotiating position of AFKL improved with Schiphol to force them to implement changes beneficial to AFKL's passengers (e.g. enable better elite boarding, make the easyjet passengers walk far instead of the alliance partners, adopt a more realistic fee structure for Schiphol's most important customer to recognize the anchor role that AFKL plays in making Schiphol a viable enterprise, etc.)

If I have to fly to or through CDG anyway, I will choose AF not NW. But if CDG starts to take on the hub function for NWKL, perhaps Schiphol will open up.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 2:43 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum for Life, BMI Gold, EK Skywards Gold, BA Gold, IC Hotels Platinum Ambassador
Don't they revenue share on all routes across the Atlantic? In which case they would probably be either a. not worried by the affects or b. knew about it and see more income coming!
Old Oct 24, 2007, 2:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chunk73
Don't they revenue share on all routes across the Atlantic? In which case they would probably be either a. not worried by the affects or b. knew about it and see more income coming!
Yes KL & NW do revenue share, that is what I meant by "JV"=Joint Venture.
So the flight is also a KL flight that then contributes to the financial result of the AFKL holding.

However, Schiphol has nothing to do with N.A. JV - they make money on the fees they charge for flights and passengers going through Schiphol.
If flights go to CDG they make no money on these.

In addition, if NWKL passengers fly to CDG to connect to their flights in Europe on AF or other airlines, then the NWKL venture does not earn on those flights and the passengers are lost to the Blue KL network running out of Schiphol, which could make some routes flying out of Amsterdam become less viable.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 2:58 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Silver, MR Lifetime Gold
Well, it's just 1 flight and it is being added; it does not replace any AMS flights. Besides, PDX-AMS is also added and there are rumors about a second daily SEA-AMS. We also don't know how long this flight will last (take DTW-BRU as an example). Maybe this flight is not so much intended for people connecting in CDG, but rather for pax connecting in MSP, having CDG as origin or destination. Maybe I'm being optimistic, but I think that for travel to/from EU AMS will still be the favored hub (as far as NW is concerned). This may help with some destinations that are served by AF and not KL, but I don't see it being much more beyond that.

(...and let's not forget that CDG is a toilet that many people hate)
Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:24 am

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M, BA Executive Club, Sofitel Plat, Priority Club, Starwood Preferred Guest
I always thought the KL-NW joint venture covers all flights across the pond, so also the CDG-DTW and now CDG-MSP flights?
Basically AF works with DL and KL with NW so having various combinations from both CDG and AMS provides good alternatives.
Old Oct 28, 2007, 8:55 pm

Programs: BD*G -> BA Gold + A3*G (now dropped to BA Silver)
If the flight is KL coded it should make the following routing viable... LCY(or anywhere else really)-AMS-CDG-MSP for those people who really want to have an extra segment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.