Search

KL877/878 BKK-TPE & v-v experiences?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2007, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
KL877/878 BKK-TPE & v-v experiences?

I'm thinking of taking this flight as a mileage run (Q fare so 100% miles + 2 flights towards the 10k for 6 bonus).

I take it given how cheaply KL sells this flight, it's fairly empty in Y? Is it worth paying an extra ~ EUR 150 for WBC on this short hop?
Old Oct 30, 2007, 4:13 pm

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
I take it given how cheaply KL sells this flight, it's fairly empty in Y? Is it worth paying an extra ~ EUR 150 for WBC on this short hop?
Y can be very full depending on season. If it is the time of the year that many Taiwanese travel, it can be totally full. Many pax to BKK and also quite a few Taiwanese on their way to Europe. If C is only EUR 150 more I would upgrade.
Old Oct 30, 2007, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks. It'll be midweek middle of January. Wonder if there's a possibility of an opup or should I just bite and go for the confirmed WBC?
Old Oct 31, 2007, 12:55 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Thanks. It'll be midweek middle of January. Wonder if there's a possibility of an opup or should I just bite and go for the confirmed WBC?
In my experience, opups are becoming increasingly rare, so I'd fork out the additional € 150. The flight is not that short so it will be nice to have some extra space.
Old Oct 31, 2007, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Inventory is 9 all across the board for the flights I want so I'll hold off buying for now.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 4:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold / IHG Platinum AMB
I have flown this route several times and it is quite nice. Even as it is only 3.5 hours flight, the service / catering is like a long-haul flight.
On this route I got upgraded to business class several times, being FB Gold and later Silver. Flights usually have 90% Asian people and I may assume not that many FB-members...
If flight is fully booked you can be pretty sure to get an upgrade, but that is indeed depending on the season. Around Chinese New Year (first week of Feb) it will be definitely crowded!

Last summer I took the BKK-TPE route as an award ticket: 15,000 miles o.w. in business. Good thing is that you almost don't pay any tax... for a return ticket you pay like 30US$ all-in!
Old Nov 2, 2007, 5:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold / IHG Platinum AMB
KLM Asia

Because of political situation in Taiwan and China KLM started to fly "KLM Asia" to Taiwan. Don't know how many 747's are still KLM Asia, but it doesn't seem that important any more, as I had both "KLM Asia" and normal KLM aircrafts flying to Taipei.
Anybody information about "KLM Asia"?

Interesting: KLM is the only European carrier flying to Taiwan! There are other European carriers, but they fly with code-share, operated by some Asian carrier like CI or Cathay Pacific.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

KL (or at least through NWA.com) has dropped the WBC fare so it's only CAD 121 more than the lowest same-day (Q) fare.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

PM for details if anyone wants to do this for a MR. There's a very nice place to buy this fare in WBC.

And disregard my posting above. It's even better.
Old Nov 3, 2007, 8:01 am

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M, BA Executive Club, Sofitel Plat, Priority Club, Starwood Preferred Guest
Originally Posted by griep
Because of political situation in Taiwan and China KLM started to fly "KLM Asia" to Taiwan. Don't know how many 747's are still KLM Asia, but it doesn't seem that important any more, as I had both "KLM Asia" and normal KLM aircrafts flying to Taipei.
Anybody information about "KLM Asia"?

Interesting: KLM is the only European carrier flying to Taiwan! There are other European carriers, but they fly with code-share, operated by some Asian carrier like CI or Cathay Pacific.
KLM Asia is a Taiwanese registered company.
But the crew etc are all Dutch KLM staff.
It is indeed just to avoid the political row with China.
Swissair (bless her soul), British Airways, Air France had the same concept but withdrew.
I have heard that KLM wants to fly directly to TPE without the BKK stop but China will not permit this.

They try to deploy the KLM Asia aircraft on the AMS-BKK-TPE route but sometimes due to operational reasons they deploy regular KLM aircraft.
The KLM Asia 747-400 Combi's are PH-BFC (Calgary), BFD (Dubai), BFF (Freetown), BFH (HongKong), BFM (Mexico) and BFP (Paramaribo).
Or course these 6 aircraft also fly on other 747 combi routes.

As said by another poster it's quite a nice flight, the crew are very relaxed, one gets a nice orchid provided by the Thai caterers in J-class and the meals are fine.
Full J-class service including inflight kit and Delft Blue house.
Sometimes, if you are lucky and the crew are generous, they provide all passengers with a house on the TPE-BKK route, even those passengers continuing to AMS.
Old Nov 4, 2007, 8:02 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Go for WBC

I've done this trip a few times and it's a great MR as well as a very enjoyable experience. WBC is usually quite empty on this segment and it's wonderful to have two seats up front in the nose section of the 747... The food is good, particularly the 'local' option; they provide the usual amenities - amenity kit, menu, Delft houses, etc.; and the price is usually very friendly as well!
Old Nov 4, 2007, 12:50 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat(x2), BMI Gold, IC Ambassador, etc
Just given the way the award loads work, I don't think this flight actually sells that well ...

I'll dig into it further if I find a use for this fare, can't use any more mileage this year, already way past double plat and still going...

Last edited by gpan; Nov 4, 2007 at 12:56 pm
Old Nov 5, 2007, 7:11 am
Suspended

because they use very very old dirty planes, the service is very very hit and miss and usually the crew dont want to be there - they usually cant wait to get back to BKK, all of them tell me they hate staying in TPE. Taiwanese prefer to use CI on this route or BR.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Regretfully, this deal referenced in post 9 is dead. KL.th wants THB 16,740 (exc T&F) for the WBC r/t now, up from THB 8,500 when this was alive. Lowest econ is now THB 7,905.

The red tail twin is selling a restricted Z fare (referenced in post 8) for something inbetween though.

Conditions for the I class THB 8,500 Deal
changeable for no fee
Booked in "I" class
fare code is ISPHD4O
nonrefundable but cancellable with a 1,200 THB ($38)

Changes to flights can be made here:
Website Support Desk
Phone number: 0 2635 2433

E-mail: [email protected]

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Nov 5, 2007 at 6:06 pm Reason: Adding fare info
Old Nov 7, 2007, 3:29 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NW Plat(x2), BMI Gold, IC Ambassador, etc
As usual, posting a fare kills it...

Someday more of us will learn just to tell our friends :P

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.