Wiki Posts
Search

Check-In question?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2008, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: M&M
Check-In question?

I mistakenly entered my First Name as surname at online award reservation.
So, now on my e-ticket my surname shows as my first name and my first name shows as surname. Would this be a problem at check-in?
I called FB, and was told it would cost me EUR 40 for name change.

My only hope is my passport number on e-ticket which is shown for identification.

Should I go for name change?
Old Apr 17, 2008, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
not sure what kind of answer you are looking for ... If there is still availability I would cancel the old one and shell out the 40 EUR for a new ticket. In March I had the case where I booked 4 award tickets and the same thing happened to me with one of them
Anyway, I called them and there was no more availability, so I decided to risk it. It went just fine, no issue at all. Both names are on the passport and nobody notices. However, this could get you into problems. 2 years ago my father had a wrong name in the AF computer (fine on ETKT ... no idea what might have happened). Anyway, it took AF 1 hour on the phone with Paris to get this fixed and he almost missed his flight. Well, it wasn't his fault, so they fixed it ... but if it is your fault ... trouble is brewing.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 10:56 pm

As cfischer implies, it often depends on the check-in agent and his/her competence/intelligence/etc. Where you would definitely be in trouble, though, is the US, especially flying into the country. This has to do with the security measures such as advanced on-line security checks and so on. So, 40 Euro may be a cheap price to pay...
Old Apr 18, 2008, 12:17 am
PJK

Programs: KL/AF FB Plat, Hilton Silver, La Quinta Gold
I called once when I had a ticket for my GF issued like this. KLM literally told me 'no problem, as long as both the first and last name are on the ticket and in the passport'. Happens all the time apparently. But this was an intra-EU flight. Not to the US as mentioned above.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 1:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M
Thank you all for your insights.
I just called FB to change my name.
It cost me EUR 40. C'est la Vie!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.