Search

KLM extracharges for upgrade in WBC

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2008, 3:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: SEN, Platinum Ambassador PC
Talking KLM extracharges for upgrade in WBC

Hello everyone...!!!

I got a ticket with KLM to Mexico City and I have B class booking that these class is so expensive and last week I called KLM for to ask if I want to upgrade my ticket from eco B class to WBC and these week finally I got the email from them and KLM Europe want 2,300USD plus 200USD for exchange the class from B to C .....!!! , so I said not thanks but yesterday I called NWA in Mexico City and I asked to the person at the phone if they have any promotion for to fly in WBC and he said: " Yes Sr. if you have B class booked you can upgrade your ticket to Business Class for 600USD plus tax , so in total I have to paid 630USD and when he said all these I ask for upgrade my ticket and now I will fly in WBC from Amsterdam to Mexico City.

So, How KLM in Europe charge a lot money for " Upgrade " ? and Why NWA in Mexico give me the upgrade for 600USD becuse KLM want 2,300USD?

I can not belive that KLM make extracharges even I have ticket in class B.

Do you think that KLM will know that NWA in Mexico upgrade my ticket for 600USD ?
Old Apr 24, 2008, 5:48 am

this is great. Congrats! $630 is a total score.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 10:48 am
cjd

Originally Posted by ZUG2007
Do you think that KLM will know that NWA in Mexico upgrade my ticket for 600USD ?
They will now That seems extremely cheap for the upgrade. But well done.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ZUG2007
I can not belive that KLM make extracharges even I have ticket in class B.
You had better believe it. KL will charge you a change fee even if you rebook in a higher fare class on exactly the same flight(s).

Once upon a time they worked on the "hoger vervangend vervoer" principle, i.e. no fee if your new ticket was more expensive than the original one. They probably realized how damaging such a generous policy was to their reputation.

Johan
Old Apr 24, 2008, 8:24 pm

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
An attempt at an explanation

If you are talking about a one-way upgrade, I might have a possible explanation for you. The first price (quoted by KLM) might have been an upgrade from B to C, which, for a one-way upgrade, makes sense in view of the amount you mentioned.

Regarding the second quote (from NWA), we have to remember that under specific circumstances we have the option to upgrade our tickets using miles (plus cash if the fare class of the original ticket is below B). Often, this is possible shortly before the flight when KL/NW open the relevant booking classes because there still are too many empty seat. A rough calculation of the monetary aspects of this policy shows that these upgrades on short notice correspond to a Z class fare. [Slightly more in detail: if you calculate the value of miles that is typical for redeeming long-haul business class flights and use this value to calculate the price of such a short notice one-way upgrade achieved by miles (and cash), and take into account the original price you paid for your ticket, you will end up with a price that is of a similar order of magnitude of what you would have paid if you had initially bought a Z fare.]

Having this mind, it does not come as a surprise that your second quote (from NWA) roughly corresponds to the price of a one-way upgrade from B to Z. Conclusion: Provided that I am right with my one-way hypothesis, the reason why you got a better offer from NWA later simply is that they had so many empty seats on the flight that you could upgrade at conditions similar to a short notice miles (and cash) upgrade, namely from B to some Z-classy fare. And this fare simply was not available when you contacted KLM in the first instance.

Now, this explanation is just an informed guess, which means it can be wrong. You can support my theory (or demonstrate that it is wrong) by answering two simple questions:
a) Did you buy a one-way upgrade?
b) How many days before the flight did you contact KLM and how many days before the flight did you contact NWA?

I am looking forward to your reply. I am curious to find out if you were just lucky or if there might have been a (fare) systematic reason behind.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SEN, Platinum Ambassador PC
Hello Cityflyer369,

Thanks for all and I give you now my reply :

Originaly I got ticket roundtrip booking class B ( these ticket I got by phone with KLM europe and I paid 1565USD ) and then when I did my first part of my trip I flow in eco class B . So, my return flight will be in a few days and I contac KLM Europe two weeks before my flight and last week I got a email from them: " The price for upgrade my return ticket from.... to AMS to MEX will be 2,300 USD plus 200USD for exchange ", so I said not thanks.

And I cantac NWA in Mexico one wee before my flight and I ask them if they have any promotion and the person at the phone say " Yes Sr. if you want to upgrade your return ticket in Business Class, the price will be 630USD in total " but I never paid miles plus money , I just paid thes price like the agent said by phone and they upgrade my ticket.

How KLM Europe asked for 2300 plus 200 USD just for one return ticket upgrade ? and Why NWA upgrade my return ticket for 630USD ? so is a big diferent, and I was in B class and now I got C class.

in the past I did in Amsterdam Airport one or two times upgrade my ticket and I paid a lot and same in Mexico City airport with NWA and Paid less that KLM in Amsterdam charged.

I think that KLM Europe and NWA in Mexico are totally diferents even they are in the skyteam groupe and some times you can get a good price from NWA.

Today I got my new ticket issue by NWA and I am booked in C class with extra charges for 630USD.

So, cityflyer, what do you think ? NWA make a mistake ? or What hapenning in tha case ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.