Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Korea
Reload this Page >

International Transfers via Seoul Incheon International Airport - Anyone done it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International Transfers via Seoul Incheon International Airport - Anyone done it?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2024 | 11:15 am
Suspended
10 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
My daughter has an upcoming Terminal 2 to Terminal 1 transfer on separate tickets. Garuda Indonesia in T2 to United in T1. She will have to collect luggage, go through immigration and customs in T2 and re-check luggage in T1. Will she be able to take the airport train from T2-concourse-T1 from landside, or will she need to take the bus?
Bus or train...

https://www.airport.kr/ap_lp/en/svc/...g/termoving.do
Old Oct 3, 2024 | 2:20 pm
10 Countries Visited100k10 Years on Site

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Thanks!

Is the Shuttle Train shown on the map the same as the Airport Railroad? I found this page describing a transfer from T2 to T1, https://www.airport.kr/ap_lp/en/trn/...1/t2trnt2t1.do , which shows a shuttle train and switching trains at a concourse in the middle between T2 and T1, and a comment says " "* Once you proceed, you cannot return." which sounds ominous and leads me to believe this might be an airside only transfer, since it also refers to needing a boarding pass to use the shuttle train. Is that because the shuttle train is only airside, and the train you refer to is the airport express train (which I assume is landside)?

Edited to add:
This is very confusing, but I have found a site that attempts to clarify the shuttle train. It does a better job of describing it than anywhere else I have found so far, but still a bit unclear. Ir has a video of a T1-T2 transfer on the shuttle train.

Incheon International Airport Shuttle Train

My current incomplete understanding of things after skimming that site is the shuttle train is different from the Airport Express Train.

The Airport Express Train:
  • high speed and landside, and requires a ticket to use (fee 1,050 KRW between T1 and T2?), and also continues on to Seoul (additional cost) if moving in the T2 -> T1 direction.

The shuttle train:
  • Designed for airside transfers and is free.
  • You need a printed boarding pass (not mobile) to use it to move beyond the center concourse (which is required to get all the way between T2 and T1). Maybe can get a BP for the other terminal at a transfer desk.
  • The T1 end might be landside, but based on the video, the T2 end is definitely airside.

Edit 2:
Also, there is a free shuttle bus between terminals landside. I think it has additional stops between terminals and because of the long distance between terminals, the shuttle bus takes longer.

Last edited by skimthetrees; Oct 3, 2024 at 11:17 pm Reason: Add more info I found about the different airport trains.
Old Oct 7, 2024 | 6:14 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
My daughter has an upcoming Terminal 2 to Terminal 1 transfer on separate tickets. Garuda Indonesia in T2 to United in T1. She will have to collect luggage, go through immigration and customs in T2 and re-check luggage in T1. Will she be able to take the airport train from T2-concourse-T1 from landside, or will she need to take the bus?
How much time does she have? There are 3 choices, Taxi, Bus or Airport Express train. Taxi is the fastest and more expensive. Bus is ok but finding where to board can be confusing. Do you go street side or go down to B1 where the buses are? Airport Express train is quick and cheap, but just a bit of a walk with luggage getting on and off the train with multiple escalators. But overall not a bad experience. There are usually many signs in English.

What would I do? If I have enough time, I normally take the Airport Express train. Gives me a chance to stretch the legs before my next flight. However if I have a lot of luggage, I'll take the bus. It is a bit easier to walk up to the bus with a bunch of luggage and have them load it on the bus.
Old Oct 8, 2024 | 2:21 am

Originally Posted by nme7
How much time does she have? There are 3 choices, Taxi, Bus or Airport Express train. Taxi is the fastest and more expensive. Bus is ok but finding where to board can be confusing. Do you go street side or go down to B1 where the buses are? Airport Express train is quick and cheap, but just a bit of a walk with luggage getting on and off the train with multiple escalators. But overall not a bad experience. There are usually many signs in English.

What would I do? If I have enough time, I normally take the Airport Express train. Gives me a chance to stretch the legs before my next flight. However if I have a lot of luggage, I'll take the bus. It is a bit easier to walk up to the bus with a bunch of luggage and have them load it on the bus.
Thanks for the advice. Her outgoing flight was massively delayed so she ended up just taking the bus, since there was no rush and that seemed easiest to find, and she did have a lot of luggage.

When you say you take the Airport Express train, are you referring to the paid high speed train that does not stop at the concourse in between T2 and T1? Is this the one the airport website says costs 1,050 KRW (which on YouTube appears to need KRW cash only for a single ticket)?
Old Oct 9, 2024 | 7:26 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: OZ D+ Lifetime
Yeah the Airport Express train can be a bit confusing. Incheon airport's website shows a clear process. Incheon Airport Transfer but i do not think they differentiate between those that have connections on a single tickert or two separate tickets that have to transfer. It is the baggage that makes the difference. Do you have to collect your bags or will it be automatically sent to the connecting flight?

To answer your question, yes I am referring to the Airport Express (not high speed) train that stops at T1 & T2, but does not stop at the concourse between. This one does cost money. I don't remember the exact amount.

The only train that stops at the concourse is the 'shuttle train' which is located inside the airport after security. This would be for those passengers that had their bags checked all the way to their final destination.
Old Oct 10, 2024 | 7:59 am

Originally Posted by nme7
Yeah the Airport Express train can be a bit confusing. Incheon airport's website shows a clear process. Incheon Airport Transfer but i do not think they differentiate between those that have connections on a single tickert or two separate tickets that have to transfer. It is the baggage that makes the difference. Do you have to collect your bags or will it be automatically sent to the connecting flight?

To answer your question, yes I am referring to the Airport Express (not high speed) train that stops at T1 & T2, but does not stop at the concourse between. This one does cost money. I don't remember the exact amount.

The only train that stops at the concourse is the 'shuttle train' which is located inside the airport after security. This would be for those passengers that had their bags checked all the way to their final destination.
Thanks! That really helps clarify some of the details that, to me, were not well clarified on the airport website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.