Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated Greater Los Angeles Area Restaurants Thread (2015 - 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2017, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Older posts on this topic may contain relevant information and are located in the archived thread:
Print Wikipost

The Consolidated Greater Los Angeles Area Restaurants Thread (2015 - 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2016, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I've had reservations at Yamashiro several times and it never worked out for one reason or another. But I do indeed think one could get spectacular photos from there.

I have, however, eaten at WP24 a few times and find it to be spectacular. The views of downtown are impressive, but the interior design of the space is also quite impressive.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 10:59 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by standard
What restaurant would be good for a celebration, a dinner for an amateur photographer that will certainly be carrying a camera?

Yamashiro Hollywood as it has a view, I think?

WP24, on the 24th floor of the Ritz Carlton?

The Lobster, reportedly has a view, located on Ocean Avenue in Santa Monica?

Since it will be dark, the first two seem like better choices to me because the ocean will be dark.
I think I will try The Lobster for sure on my upcoming trip. It's in a perfect location, Ocean Ave, very close to the Santa Monica Pier. There is a fabulous hotel nearby as well called The Shore.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
I've had reservations at Yamashiro several times and it never worked out for one reason or another. But I do indeed think one could get spectacular photos from there.
I used to live up in those hills and the view is sometimes clear, but most times smoggy. This time of year should be good though. The koi ponds are pretty neat to walk around at any time.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by standard
What restaurant would be good for a celebration, a dinner for an amateur photographer that will certainly be carrying a camera?

Yamashiro Hollywood as it has a view, I think?

WP24, on the 24th floor of the Ritz Carlton?

The Lobster, reportedly has a view, located on Ocean Avenue in Santa Monica?

Since it will be dark, the first two seem like better choices to me because the ocean will be dark.
If you choose to hang around the Santa Monica area, there's a rooftop bar on top of the Hotel Erwin in Venice. I think there's something on top of the Shangri-La, too, but I've never been to that one.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 9:36 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Ate at Tallyrand up in Burbank last week. It's an older diner from the 50's. The menu is huge and they also have a full bar. One of the best hot turkey sandwiches I've ever had and delicious milkshakes too. Service was pretty bad but the food made up for it:

Old Jan 13, 2016, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by icedancer
So we went to ink, and I was, unfortunately, underwhelmed...

We started with the egg yolk gnocchi, and little gems salad, which were absolute 10/10 knockout dishes, but it went downhill from there. The lobster risotto was confusing to my palate, although both the lobster and the rice were well-cooked. The lamb belly and wagyu beef cheeks were too heavy and fatty for my taste, without enough else on the plate to balance it out. Again, though, there was no questioning the cooking techniques. My husband ordered the octopus for himself, which he really liked (I'm not an octopus fan), and I ordered the corn pudding, which is give an 8.5 out of 10.
The egg yolk gnocchi, little gems salad, and octopus are their most popular dishes and probably best. We went there a couple of times and I don't remember the rest of the dishes even though we ordered 8 to 10 each time. And the second time we found the food a little too salty. I don't know if the recipe was changed or we just didn't notice it the first time.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by WesternCDN

Any recommendations for food along the way? I'll likely hit up an In-N-Out somewhere during the day, but in terms of a quick and affordable place for lunch that doesn't require fancy clothes or a reservation, anywhere in particular that's good (I realize there's also a consolidated dining thread too)?
Some of my personal faves (going roughly from east to west)
  • Original Philippe's (French-dipped sandwich), Alameda & Ord, near Union Station
  • Original Tommy's (gut-busting chili burger, an LA classic), Hollywood & Bronson (closest Metro: Hollywood/Vine)
    • For the full effect, one should visit the original Original Tommy's shack at Beverly & Rampart
  • Palms Thai, Hollywood & Bronson (closest Metro: Hollywood/Vine)
  • Bulgogi Hut (AYCE Korean BBQ for $15), Wilshire & Kingsley (closest Metro: Wilshire/Normandie)
  • Pampas Grill (Brazilian) in Farmers Market, 3rd & Fairfax in the LA Farmer's Market
  • Leo's Taco Truck (street tacos - get al pastor), La Brea & Venice
  • Bella Pita (wowshi, a cross between pita and calzone), Westwood between Santa Monica & Olympic
  • Zankou Chicken (shwarma + garlic sauce), Sepulveda & Olympic
  • Daikokuya (ramen), Sawtelle & Olympic
  • Shin Sen Gumi (hakata-style ramen), Sawtelle near Wilshire
  • Bay Cities Deli (sandwiches, of course), Broadway & Lincoln in Santa Monica

Also, it's now known as the TCL Chinese Theater (I know it as Mann's Chinese )
Old Jan 17, 2016, 3:48 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Top Chef contestants Kwame Onwuachi and Phillip Frankland Lee are cooking an eight course dinner at Scratch|Bar & Kitchen on Wednesday, February 3. Seating is limited to 70. $120 per person. Reservations are a must. Details here.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
[*]Bay Cities Deli (sandwiches, of course), Broadway & Lincoln in Santa Monica[/LIST]
I'll try to make this a little easier on the locals because I personally hate it when this place is full of "tourists" that don't understand the system.

If you go here, make sure you pull a numbered ticket immediately. Go in the doors, go to the right to the deli counter, pull a ticket, and then wait your turn to order. It's just Boar's Heads meats, you don't need to ask to sample everything. You'll either love their bread or hate their bread, not many people in between. They also now have grab and go ready made of their more popular sandwiches when they're busy, which they usually are around lunch time. Look in the coolers around the cash registers. Soda is along the back wall in refrigerators, chips are back there also.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Zankou Chicken (shwarma + garlic sauce), Sepulveda & Olympic
With many other locations throughout the southland for a quick and tasty cheap lunch.

Daikokuya (ramen), Sawtelle & Olympic
There's also one in Little Tokyo, so if you end up in DTLA it's an option, though it's often got a long wait. There are two others in Arcadia and Monterey Park, but if you're doing tourist things and taking transit you're unlikely to end up near them.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by chrisl137
With many other locations throughout the southland for a quick and tasty cheap lunch.

There's also one in Little Tokyo, so if you end up in DTLA it's an option, though it's often got a long wait. There are two others in Arcadia and Monterey Park, but if you're doing tourist things and taking transit you're unlikely to end up near them.
Indeed, was trying to keep it within WesternCDN's tourist territory, near the Wilshire corridor.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by SWCPHX
[*]Bay Cities Deli (sandwiches, of course), Broadway & Lincoln in Santa Monica[/LIST]
I'll try to make this a little easier on the locals because I personally hate it when this place is full of "tourists" that don't understand the system.

If you go here, make sure you pull a numbered ticket immediately. Go in the doors, go to the right to the deli counter, pull a ticket, and then wait your turn to order. It's just Boar's Heads meats, you don't need to ask to sample everything. You'll either love their bread or hate their bread, not many people in between. They also now have grab and go ready made of their more popular sandwiches when they're busy, which they usually are around lunch time. Look in the coolers around the cash registers. Soda is along the back wall in refrigerators, chips are back there also.
Or, just order online. Go pickup. Easy.

While I do like the sandwiches, I don't think the bread is all that special. It's tough. I do like to eat it though because the rest of the Godmother is yummy.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 5:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
"Original Tommy's (gut-busting chili burger, an LA classic), Hollywood & Bronson (closest Metro: Hollywood/Vine)"

Gotta go to the original on Beverly & Rampart. I lived a few blocks away from there about 6 years ago. So much fun walking there at 4am after bars to eat Chili Burgers
Old Feb 5, 2016, 11:50 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Anything near LA Live I shouldn't miss? I'm staying there for two days next weekend and have no meal plans.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 3:55 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Madone59
Anything near LA Live I shouldn't miss? I'm staying there for two days next weekend and have no meal plans.
There are several places that I like downtown. My recommendations depend on what type of food you like and whether it has to be within walking distance from LA Live.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.