Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Getting to/from LAX" thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2008, 8:20 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I have always seen cabs in the parking lot of Dodger Stadium after games; I'm not sure if they have been called ahead of time for specific riders or if they are just there for hire. Based on the number I see, I'd suspect the latter. I normally park behind right field, so that's where I see them. Not sure about other locations.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 7:28 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Cab fare LAX-Beverly Hills?

Does anyone have an idea what a taxi would likely cost between LAX and Beverly Hills (the new Montage) early Saturday morning (and a return early on Sunday morning?) I'd normally rent a car, but as I'll be at the hotel or within walking distance the entire time, I'm not sure I want to be bothered.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
I would say roughly 50 USD plus the LAX exit fee which you can avoid if you take a shuttle to any hotel and catch a cab there.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 8:24 pm

I will be staying at hilton Garden Inn LAX, Address
2100 East Mariposa Avenue
El Segundo, CA
United States, 90245

And I need to get to Los Angeles harbour for a cruise. I looked up some shuttle companies, and it seems Primetime is reasonable, but they had terrible reviews. I leave on Saturday so will need some suggestions. How much is a Taxi do you think? I was thinking of booking a Sedan, but they ranged from $70 each way, to $90 each way. Would I be best with just a Taxi?
I would not consider public transit, I have too many suitcases.

Thanks!
Old Feb 23, 2009, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by pilotboy1985YYC
I will be staying at hilton Garden Inn LAX, Address
2100 East Mariposa Avenue
El Segundo, CA
United States, 90245

And I need to get to Los Angeles harbour for a cruise. I looked up some shuttle companies, and it seems Primetime is reasonable, but they had terrible reviews. I leave on Saturday so will need some suggestions. How much is a Taxi do you think? I was thinking of booking a Sedan, but they ranged from $70 each way, to $90 each way. Would I be best with just a Taxi?
I would not consider public transit, I have too many suitcases.

Thanks!
What were the negative reviews on Primetime? I've never used them--only SuperShuttle (which also runs in L.A.--maybe check them), but I'd suspect the complaints are probably similar: delays, uncomfortable ride, rude drivers, etc. I get carsick when crammed into the back of a van, and I'm cheap, so I would rather take a nice, spacious train or bus (even with suitcases), but I have had to use a shuttle service on the demands of traveling companions before, and it's not unbearable. If you can put up with even a little bit of hassle, it's worth the cost savings over a taxi.

According to this site, a taxi's gonna run you about $55 (including a 15% tip), plus or minus (not sure exactly where the cruise ships dock at the harbor--I think near San Pedro).

I looked at one-way car rentals, but Travelocity's one-way rental search couldn't find anything for a random date in March that I searched for.

Last edited by jackal; Feb 23, 2009 at 10:39 pm
Old Feb 24, 2009, 9:09 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Pilotboy,

You mentioned LA Harbour, which usually means San Pedro. However as an FYI one or two cruise lines leave Long Beach, which is 7-9 miles further.

I've used Primetime many times, but just personally prefer Supershuttle. Both can be irritating as heck, but since Supershuttle has a much larger market share, you seem to get out of the airport faster.

While I can not vouch for the $55 taxi fare to San Pedro, it might be a few dollars cheaper leaving from the Hilton Garden Inn, versus the airport. There is an city imposed airport fee that would be waived, and the hotel is probably $3 closer to your destination.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the $55 fare I saw at that site did mention that it included a $2.50 airport surcharge. So yeah, leaving from the hotel should save you that plus any reduced distance costs.

If the OP of that question is traveling with others (not just alone), the taxi may end up being more cost competetive, as Supershuttle et al. charge per person. If the first person in a party is $20 and the second and third are $10 each, well, then it's only another $10 for the comfort and speed of a cab.

Note that the taxi cost will go up if traffic on the 405 is stop and go, as the taxi meter will start charging for time when the cab isn't moving. Better to do this shuffle outside of commute hours.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 3:23 am

Programs: UA, AA, Starwood, Avis
Transfer from LAX to SNA?

Hey all, long time reader, rarely post.

I flew from SNA to MSY and met my uncle there, who said "Let's take my private plane to Charlottesville!" So now I'm in Charlottesville and trying to get a flight to SNA.

Flights to LAX are a fair bit cheaper, but my car is at SNA. Is there any decent way to get from LAX to SNA? A cab would cost $100+ and I only see shuttles to Disneyland.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 3:29 am

I looked at this recently.. if you google "SNA to LAX shuttle" you'll find a couple of options... think they are generally $44-45...
Old Apr 23, 2009, 3:34 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Please continue this discussion in the Los Angeles forum. Thanks for your understanding.

Jouy31
TravelBuzz moderator
Old Apr 23, 2009, 6:52 am

Programs: KE MC
lax to sna:

primetime $34
supershuttle $36
Old Apr 23, 2009, 9:24 pm
Yub

Programs: UA 1K and 1MM, DL 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Another option:
  • Flyaway Bus from LAX to Union Station -- $6
  • Metrolink Train from Union Station to Tustin Metrolink Station -- $8.75
  • Irvine iShuttle Bus from Tustin Metrolink Station to SNA -- $1

And another:
  • LAX G Shuttle Bus from LAX to Metro Green Line Aviation/LAX Station -- $0
  • Metro Green Line from Metro Green Line Aviation/LAX Station to Metro Green Line Norwalk Station -- $1.25
  • Norwalk Bus Route 4 from Metro Green Line Norwalk Station to Norwalk Metrolink Station -- $0.75
  • Metrolink Train from Norwalk Metrolink Station to Tustin Metrolink Station -- $7.25
  • iShuttle Bus from Tustin Metrolink Station to SNA -- $1
Old Apr 24, 2009, 12:01 am

I use Karmel shuttle often: http://www.karmel.com They tend to be a little more expensive than SS and PT but don't make a lot of stops and detours in parts of LA you never knew existed! I'm not sure if they are permitted to take you from LAX-SNA but if not, they can take you from LAX to the Hilton across the street.

The other option not previously listed is the coach from LAX-D'land then DL-SNA: http://www.coachamerica.com/grayline...s_shuttles.cfm Total cost $35 booked online.

BTW, only Metrolink trains stop in Tustin. Amtrak and Metrolink stop in Santa Ana and Irvine but there's no convenient transportation to SNA from there except a cab.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 10:59 am

Programs: KE MC
Unfortunately, the iShuttle only runs M-F.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by choijw
Unfortunately, the iShuttle only runs M-F.
There are some OCTA connecting bus routes between Tustin Metrolink and SNA. See Google Transit:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...8&z=14&start=0

You can force checking on weekends (otherwise it displays the iShuttle) by inputting your departure time by clicking "More Options" in the left-hand pane.

Not the most convenient, and $2 more than the iShuttle, but hey, it's an option...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.