Wiki Posts
Search

Star Gold - Free Baggage on LH Economy Light

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2023, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by andywaw
True, and it's an exception, a good will gesture, not a rule.
And your point is...?
Actually, I didn't see this before:

"For HON Circle Members, Senators and Star Alliance Gold customers on intercontinental flights, the first item of baggage on the Economy Light fare is free of charge and can only be declared at the check-in counter. "

I was checking around when I was buying my TATL flights and couldn't find that statement back in January - if I had found this I might have booked with LH instead.

LOT has the free checked bag in a booking when *G status is put into the booking.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 4:18 am

Programs: SAS EBS / ST Elite, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by andywaw
Basically, the rule is that *G gives you AN ADDITIONAL bag on the ticket which includes a bag allowance. Zero bag doesn't give you "additional" bag, so it cannot be claimed as a rule.
No, it's the other way around. The rule is that you always get an extra bag. Only LH Group, SK and NZ have an exemption for their "light" fares where it works like you've explained. All other Star Alliance members give *G members a free bag even on tickets with no bags included, irrespective of itinerary. I've flown on countless intra-European LO and TP itineraries where I got a free bag despite purchasing their equivalent of light fare (i.e. tickets with not bag included).
Old May 3, 2023, 3:45 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by the810
No, it's the other way around. The rule is that you always get an extra bag. Only LH Group, SK and NZ have an exemption for their "light" fares where it works like you've explained. All other Star Alliance members give *G members a free bag even on tickets with no bags included, irrespective of itinerary. I've flown on countless intra-European LO and TP itineraries where I got a free bag despite purchasing their equivalent of light fare (i.e. tickets with not bag included).
I would just like to get clarification if we are able to get a free piece of checked-in luggage for *G flying intra-Europe on LX flights with a Light fare - anyone?
Old May 3, 2023, 3:55 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
No chance. Even SEN don't get a free piece in Eco light inside Europe.
Old May 3, 2023, 8:20 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Thanks for that Oliver!

If the lead pax is UA*G and wants to book Economy Classic for the handluggage/possible miles, and the accompanying pax doesn't need either, does it make sense to book both on 1 PNR for any shared benefits?

Only thing would be lounge access I guess, but that would not require a single PNR...
​​
Omg, just saw this!:

"Passengers travelling a European route (including domestic flights) with a LIGHT fare, who wish to change the automatically assigned seat at check-in will have to pay an additional charge. This fee does not apply to travelers who have purchased a desired seat in advance."

Totally whacked.
Old May 4, 2023, 1:59 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Forget SEN, not even HON. I just don't understand this strategy.

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Thanks for that Oliver!

If the lead pax is UA*G and wants to book Economy Classic for the handluggage/possible miles, and the accompanying pax doesn't need either, does it make sense to book both on 1 PNR for any shared benefits?

Only thing would be lounge access I guess, but that would not require a single PNR...
No shared benefits. You have a choice of putting both on one PNR and buying an extra bag, or splitting and getting the other Eco Classic benefits for the same price.

One benefit of being on a single PNR is that in case of irrops you will automatically be reaccommodated together.

​​
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Omg, just saw this!:

"Passengers travelling a European route (including domestic flights) with a LIGHT fare, who wish to change the automatically assigned seat at check-in will have to pay an additional charge. This fee does not apply to travelers who have purchased a desired seat in advance."

Totally whacked.
Indeed. The seating charge can be finagled around, at least for now, but is a further degradation of the Light fare to the point I don't consider them at all anymore. And it's not even that it's cheap....
yurtripper likes this.
Old May 4, 2023, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Forget SEN, not even HON. I just don't understand this strategy.

No shared benefits. You have a choice of putting both on one PNR and buying an extra bag, or splitting and getting the other Eco Classic benefits for the same price.

One benefit of being on a single PNR is that in case of irrops you will automatically be reaccommodated together.​​

Indeed. The seating charge can be finagled around, at least for now, but is a further degradation of the Light fare to the point I don't consider them at all anymore. And it's not even that it's cheap....
It's the same with SK, you take their light fare, you are going to go light unless you pay (no matter who you are).

I just don't understand why they can't work out what 0+1 is, somehow they think 0+1=0. Even UA woke up and *G gets 2 checked bags on Basic Economy.
Deltahater and the810 like this.
Old May 5, 2023, 12:38 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Was NZ the first airline to introduce this stupidity of 0PC on Light fares for *G?

Normally LH is "First to embrace the Worst"* but I think NZ (or SK) actually beat them to the punch on this. But if LH misses a trick by seeing some other airline cheapen down the experience of *G, needless to say it won't take them long to redress the balance.

I'll stick with A3 and LO for now, who don't play these stupid games.

* - not sure if this is a slogan used by LH marketing, but if it isn't it probably should be
the810 and kttosia like this.
Old May 6, 2023, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yurtripper
Was NZ the first airline to introduce this stupidity of 0PC on Light fares for *G?

Normally LH is "First to embrace the Worst"* but I think NZ (or SK) actually beat them to the punch on this. But if LH misses a trick by seeing some other airline cheapen down the experience of *G, needless to say it won't take them long to redress the balance.

I'll stick with A3 and LO for now, who don't play these stupid games.

* - not sure if this is a slogan used by LH marketing, but if it isn't it probably should be
Add TK on the list. They don't have this BS on international flights.
the810 and kttosia like this.
Old May 7, 2023, 5:06 pm

Programs: SAS EBS / ST Elite, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
And neither does TP.
Old May 8, 2023, 6:47 am

I think NZ and LH were the first. *A rules had to change for this to happen.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 12:45 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG, LH SEN
I have (by mistake!) bought a light fare with a paid extra 1 bag allowance (basically an online TA sold this as a fare with checked luggage allowance, but I can clearly see on LH's website that the reservation is a light fare + 1 bag pre-paid).

I need to check in two bags - can the second bag be covered by *G allowance, or with a light fare I need to pay for all my bags?

I am SK*G and the flight is intra-Europe.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 2:06 am

No, with a light fare, all extra bags are paid, as is the seating etc. Your only hope for a reasonable outcome is to try and upfare the ticket into Eco Classic. (unless it is intercontinental, which you can try and get in for the exception)

One more reason to avoid OTAs.
chris63, SK2751 and romans like this.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SK2751
I have (by mistake!) bought a light fare with a paid extra 1 bag allowance (basically an online TA sold this as a fare with checked luggage allowance, but I can clearly see on LH's website that the reservation is a light fare + 1 bag pre-paid).

I need to check in two bags - can the second bag be covered by *G allowance, or with a light fare I need to pay for all my bags?

I am SK*G and the flight is intra-Europe.
LH gives 1 pc checked bags for *G on light fare:

"For HON Circle Members, Senators and Star Alliance Gold customers on intercontinental flights, the first item of baggage on the Economy Light fare is free of charge and can only be declared at the check-in counter. If the first item of baggage on the Economy Light fare is booked online, at the Service Center or via a travel agency, corresponding charges will apply."

https://www.lufthansa.com/ke/en/econ...2Din%20counter.

I have spent hours on this as I bought a 016 stock Basic Economy with SN as my first carrier...
Old Jun 14, 2023, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by nacho
LH gives 1 pc checked bags for *G on light fare:

"For HON Circle Members, Senators and Star Alliance Gold customers on intercontinental flights, the first item of baggage on the Economy Light fare is free of charge and can only be declared at the check-in counter. If the first item of baggage on the Economy Light fare is booked online, at the Service Center or via a travel agency, corresponding charges will apply."

https://www.lufthansa.com/ke/en/econ...2Din%20counter.

I have spent hours on this as I bought a 016 stock Basic Economy with SN as my first carrier...
eh...

kinda important distinction
chris63, athome and romans like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.