Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Which Four Seasons Hotel in Hawaii is best?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2010, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

There are 4 Four Seasons Hotels in the Hawaiian Islands.
Not withstanding all the side trips and the diversity in the Islands, which one would you consider is the best one (best service, amenities, food, spa, beach);

If you think I will get a better response in the Luxury Hotel forum please ask the moderator to move it. I do not want to double post. Thank you
Old Sep 5, 2010, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FS hualalai is one of the best regarded hotels in the world in this forum, and you wont find service standards higher than this forum's regulars.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Sep 5, 2010 at 6:25 pm
Old Sep 5, 2010, 6:32 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
I agree. FS Hualalai is the epitome of what a tropical resort should look and feel like. Not a high-rise "box by the beach," everything is two-story and spread out. It doesn't have the best beach among the Four Seasons (that distinction belongs to FS Manele Bay), but this is a place I will always look forward to returning to.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 10:50 am

I like FS Hualalai and FS Lodge at Koele - both low-rise, both with character.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 2:59 pm
formerly lelandv

IMHO Its kind of a toss up btw Manele and Big Island---

Manele wins in terms of setting/views/the island etc you actually feel like you are in Hawaii.

Big Island wins hands down on service, ammenities, food, rooms etc
Old Sep 6, 2010, 3:36 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

Originally Posted by lelandv
IMHO Its kind of a toss up btw Manele and Big Island---

Manele wins in terms of setting/views/the island etc you actually feel like you are in Hawaii.

Big Island wins hands down on service, ammenities, food, rooms etc
I agree 100%.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 4:25 pm

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
FS hualalai is one of the best regarded hotels in the world in this forum, and you wont find service standards higher than this forum's regulars.
FS Hualalai's service is uniformly strong, second in my experiences only to FS Paris.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 6:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM+, Lifetime PLT, Admirals Club
Four Seasons Manele Bay, Lana'i Best FS in Hawaii

While it's a pain in the arse to get to from Maui, (ferry or puddle jumper), once you're there, it's paradise on earth. If you're there in the winter months of Jan-March, you'll most likely see spinner dolphins and whales from your beachfront room, and from the beach. However, if you're hoping to swim with the dolphins, think again, as the beach closes whenever they get too close to the shore. The beach resides on a natural preserve and humans are not allowed to interact with these dolphins.

Last edited by wildaboutmovies; Oct 9, 2010 at 6:21 pm Reason: Tried to add a picture but have no idea how to.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wildaboutmovies
...Manele Bay...beachfront room...
you mean oceanfront?

http://www.fourseasons.com/manelebay/resort_map/

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 10, 2010 at 6:34 am
Old Oct 11, 2010, 4:14 pm

Manele Bay is a reasonably nice place, but it's not really in the same league as Hualalai.

The one downfall at Hualalai is the lack of access to a real beach, but the service, rooms, overall hotel layout, pools, and restaurants, are all superior to Manele Bay. Then again, it also costs quite a bit more...
Old Dec 2, 2010, 9:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jordyn
Manele Bay is a reasonably nice place, but it's not really in the same league as Hualalai.

The one downfall at Hualalai is the lack of access to a real beach, but the service, rooms, overall hotel layout, pools, and restaurants, are all superior to Manele Bay. Then again, it also costs quite a bit more...
Having stayed at both this year within a few months of each other, I echo this sentiment - the FS Manele Bay was a Holiday Inn compared to the Hualalai. The difference in everything from room quality to service was startling - hard to believe they are part of the same family.

However - the Lana'i properties are owned by Castle and Cooke, and operated by FS under license (Starwood Luxury Collection was the previous operator). I believe the Hualalai property is owned and operated by FS.

Manele Bay is a hotel with a resort feel and location. Hualalai is a complete resort from A to Z.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

indeed lanai properties were built for other brand. dont remember if there was something before starwood.

michael dell bought hualalai in 2006 (from original japanese owners?)

IIRC FS only owns YVR now.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 10:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by auh2o
I agree 100%.
^
Old Dec 2, 2010, 10:31 am

exactly!

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Having stayed at both this year within a few months of each other, I echo this sentiment - the FS Manele Bay was a Holiday Inn compared to the Hualalai. The difference in everything from room quality to service was startling - hard to believe they are part of the same family.

However - the Lana'i properties are owned by Castle and Cooke, and operated by FS under license (Starwood Luxury Collection was the previous operator). I believe the Hualalai property is owned and operated by FS.

Manele Bay is a hotel with a resort feel and location. Hualalai is a complete resort from A to Z.
'hualalai - complete resort from a-z' and can do, can do, can do from all fs staff. a most wonderful gm, too.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 11:32 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Hualalai is amazing. Now if they would just improve their 2011 off-season specials!

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
michael dell bought hualalai in 2006 (from original japanese owners?)
Actually, it was a joint venture between Michael Dell's investment company and Rockpoint Group.

http://www.westhawaiitoday.com/artic...al/local04.txt

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.