Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Tokyo luxury hotels (newer consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
Reviews of Tokyo hotels to be found in dedicated threads (If you review another Tokyo luxury hotel, put it in a thread and add a link here, thanks!)

Aman Tokyo (not a formal review but as detailed as one) -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

Mandarin Oriental Tokyo -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

Peninsula Tokyo -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

Park Hyatt Tokyo -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho from luxury perspective — https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...d-service-2620
Print Wikipost

Tokyo luxury hotels (newer consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2024, 3:48 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Originally Posted by MattEvan
So, I’m gonna do something that I very rarely do, and completely change my mind 180°.

I am in residence at the Okura Tokyo right now and I think this hotel is my new favorite property in the city. Retrying the Okura was something of a fluke, as it was the only corp rate available for a last minute stay and the PHT closure has me doing some reappraisals. (I revisited the Toranomon Edition—still rubbish and now worse somehow).

I think the key difference to this stay is that I booked a club level room. The physical and plant and service is outstanding. Perhaps the highest staff to guest ratio I have ever seen at a city hotel.

Club Floor Concierge has been awesome too.

Let’s see how this stay finishes up, but I am moving this hotel from “never” close to the top of my list.
Are you staying in the Prestige Wing? I've heard this hotel is very strict with petty rules.
Old Jul 12, 2024, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by GodAtum
Are you staying in the Prestige Wing? I've heard this hotel is very strict with petty rules.
Yea, club rooms are only in the Prestige tower. However all Heritage rooms also have access to the club.

I have not found them to be petty in any way. What, exactly, did you hear about that?
Old Jul 12, 2024, 7:44 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Originally Posted by MattEvan
Yea, club rooms are only in the Prestige tower. However all Heritage rooms also have access to the club.

I have not found them to be petty in any way. What, exactly, did you hear about that?
Your post here https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34915817-post706.html. Has the service been improved a lot then to foreigners?

This review and this
as well.
Old Jul 18, 2024, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by GodAtum
Your post here https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34915817-post706.html. Has the service been improved a lot then to foreigners?

This review and this review as well.
Yes, it was night and day better than previous stays.

I felt that the prior issues where I observed Japanese clients being treated better than others were completely non-existent now. I would not hesitate to go back, and would put this near the top of my list in Tokyo right now. To nod to your display name, I definitely felt treated like a “god” on these now two stays.

Honestly, it’s a good reminder to me about how things can change, and the value of second chances.
Old Aug 7, 2024, 2:13 am

Looking for a hotel under $800/night, anyone have recommendations?
Old Aug 7, 2024, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by richard_dong
Great deal for Shangri-La right now on ikyu.com. Around $600 a night
Old Aug 7, 2024, 11:32 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just a reminder that this is the luxury hotel and travel forum. If you're looking for less expensive hotels (as is the person two posts above), please post in the geographic forum for the area you will be visiting.

Thanks,
RichardInSF, moderator luxury hotels and travel

Old Aug 11, 2024, 10:28 pm

Has anyone stayed at Hotel Gajoen Tokyo? Booked four nights at the end of this month and very excited.
Old Aug 27, 2024, 1:10 pm

Programs: some blue some silver some gold
If the choice is between MO and Pen, which would you go for?

Pen is a better location for me. But stayed at the MO before and was ok. Pen looks a bit dated?

Thank you

Old Aug 27, 2024, 2:16 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
Originally Posted by dhoward

Pen is a better location for me. But stayed at the MO before and was ok. Pen looks a bit dated?
Depends on the room type you're looking for, and rates are highly variable.

Typically, however, we've found the Pen to offer excellent value for suites, compared to others. We recently stayed in a 116m² Deluxe Suite, and the size and layout was perfect, IMO. We had friends visiting us and we hung out in the room for a while, which is why we went with a higher category suite than usual. Some of the rooms have superior views to those at the MO, although not quite as jaw-dropping as the Palace Hotel.

The drawback is that the small lobby can be overwhelmed with non-staying guests who come for afternoon tea, making it seem a bit chaotic at times. That's the cost of being so centrally located.

Yes, the MO is slightly fresher, but by no means do I feel the Pen is long in the tooth.

Here are some pics of the Deluxe Suite.

offerendum and 747FC like this.
Old Aug 27, 2024, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dhoward

Thank you
MO is a lot more modern with their F&B but the Pen has a pool. If you're going out and don't care much for staying in the rooms then Pen probably wins.
Old Aug 27, 2024, 8:22 pm

Staying at Hotel Gajoen now. Rest of the hotel is not really luxury and is also a tourist attraction.

The rooms definitely are. Even the smallest is close to 1,000 sq.ft. The best and largest rooms I’ve ever had in Tokyo.

Mediocre breakfast and bellhop service. And if you don’t mind the retro-glam 1991 bathroom, this is of phenomenal value at $560 a night.
Old Aug 27, 2024, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by richard_dong
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Just a reminder that this is the luxury hotel and travel forum. If you're looking for less expensive hotels (as is the person two posts above), please post in the geographic forum for the area you will be visiting.

Thanks,
RichardInSF, moderator luxury hotels and travel
Originally Posted by Michaeljinnyc
Staying at Hotel Gajoen now. Rest of the hotel is not really luxury and is also a tourist attraction.

The rooms definitely are. Even the smallest is close to 1,000 sq.ft. The best and largest rooms I’ve ever had in Tokyo.

Mediocre breakfast and bellhop service. And if you don’t mind the retro-glam 1991 bathroom, this is of phenomenal value at $560 a night.
There's a mod waking up in a cold sweat somewhere right now

(Just kidding)
Old Aug 27, 2024, 11:46 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by Michaeljinnyc

Finally... I was asking about this place in post 759 a year and a half ago. How are the other services/amenities? I still think Gajoen has one of the most epic hotel lobbies in Tokyo, possibly anywhere.
Michaeljinnyc likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2024, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by joejones
Finally... I was asking about this place in post 759 a year and a half ago. How are the other services/amenities? I still think Gajoen has one of the most epic hotel lobbies in Tokyo, possibly anywhere.
Other services are not as good as other luxury hotels in Tokyo and not really present. The hotel is large but only has rooms on three stories of 60 rooms. Overnight guests are not their priority.

There are no amenities other than the executive lounge which still confuses me and the shared gym in the adjacent office building. Some guests get to use it while others don’t. There are no “executive lounge” options on any booking sites and even the lowest cat rooms are called executive suites so I thought is was accessible to everyone… anyone familar welcome to add to this.

The lobby looks great but the long walk to the room’s one of the biggest downsides here. Takes god knows how long and constantly feels like a convention center. Location was well out of the way for any major areas and is on a steep hill.
joejones likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.