Wiki Posts
Search

Back-to-back with MH at TPE possible?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2024, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life
Originally Posted by nov11

From what I've been told, if the crew time out before they can return to KUL from TPE, they will cancel the return MH367 and put the crew in a hotel before working on the return flight.
So they've got an aircraft in Taipei and a whole bunch of passengers booked to fly on it, whom Malaysian have a duty of care to look after; so clearly these passengers will fly on that aircraft sometime the following day. My question was how long is it likely to be before the crew will be able to resume duty; and as a slight tangent, would a new flight number be issued or would it fly as say MH367A?

However, it's now 10:22, and MH366 is still reported to be departing at 13:25, and importantly MH367 TPE to KUL still reported to be departing at 19:20, so I'm beginning to think the crew hours may be a non-issue. Meantime, and worth noting, the transfer desk at KUL were able and happy to issue me with my TPE-KUL boarding pass.

Things are looking up
nov11 and crackjack like this.
Old Jul 20, 2024, 1:57 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Is anyone doing the KUL-TPE (and to that extent KUL-SIN and KUL-MNL) over the next few weeks? I'll be doing plenty and if any FTer is also flying, would be nice to possibly meet-up.

Old Jul 20, 2024, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life
In the end my KUL-TPE departed about 5 hours late, but with a freshly rostered crew, so the return flight was a quick turnaround, albeit not arriving back in KUL until around 01:30 Sunday morning.

But hey, I still managed a few hours sleep before my onward flight to BKK (in the Golden lounge waiting at the moment), and I've now got GGL for another year in the bag .

And I also had time enough at TPE to get to the Cathay Lounge, which was officially closed, but they let me to snaffle a copy of the weekend FT, so I was a very happy bunny!
nov11 and crackjack like this.
Old Jul 20, 2024, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by GGLwannabe
However, it's now 10:22, and MH366 is still reported to be departing at 13:25, and importantly MH367 TPE to KUL still reported to be departing at 19:20, so I'm beginning to think the crew hours may be a non-issue. Meantime, and worth noting, the transfer desk at KUL were able and happy to issue me with my TPE-KUL boarding pass.
Opps. I thought you were flying on 19/7 instead of 20/7. My bad. They cancel the return flight if there is something en route, e.g.diversion to HKG due to weather or an extended ground delay at TPE. But if the delay was posted earlier in the day from KUL, crew schedule should have been adjusted accordingly.
GGLwannabe likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2024, 11:17 am

Programs: VS Gold
what is GGL ?
Old Jul 23, 2024, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by Rob W
what is GGL ?
British Airways Gold Guest List - you need to fly 5,000 tier points (with 4 BA flights) to achieve, and subsequently 3,000 tier points (also with 4 BA flights) to renew annually.
Old Jul 23, 2024, 7:57 pm

Programs: VS Gold
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
British Airways Gold Guest List - you need to fly 5,000 tier points (with 4 BA flights) to achieve, and subsequently 3,000 tier points (also with 4 BA flights) to renew annually.
I that another name for BA gold card status?
Old Jul 23, 2024, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by Rob W
I that another name for BA gold card status?
GGL is higher - whilst both Gold Guest List and Gold are Emerald in the grand scheme of things - on BA, GGL's get a few other treats like 5 guests into the galleries first lounges in heathrow, Concorde room access when departing T5, First room dining in BA T3, Concorde Bar access in Singapore, Group 0 boarding, GGL Joker redemptions (sorta like a forced release) etc and the ability to nominate a Gold and 2 Silvers every year they qualify. There are others too - i can't remember off the top of my head.

Rob W likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2024, 11:08 pm

TGFG covered the key aspects, but you can tread this guide for more: Gold Guest List beginner's guide | 2024
Old Jul 24, 2024, 6:05 pm

Is the CX or plaza premium (that MH seems to use) better in Tpe?
Old Jul 24, 2024, 11:29 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, BR, BA
Originally Posted by jason8612
Is the CX or plaza premium (that MH seems to use) better in Tpe?
I prefer the CX lounge, but it doesn't have a shower (if it's something you need).
Old Jul 25, 2024, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by Dave510
I prefer the CX lounge, but it doesn't have a shower (if it's something you need).
Thanks.
I ended up in the CX lounge. Great food, nice bar and nice service. I have a few more MH TP runs over the next few weeks, so I might try the Plaza premium to compare.

And to confirm, the transit security in TPE is probably the easiest I've ever used in my decades of flying. I'm sure I was in the lounge before the the rest of the pax got off the plane. No BP check, no passport check, no need to take out devices from the carryon. This is completely opposite from the horrible transit experience I had a few days ago in CGK (well there is no actual transit there - just a visa on arrival money grab).
Old Jul 25, 2024, 1:00 am

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, BR, BA
Originally Posted by jason8612
Thanks.
I ended up in the CX lounge. Great food, nice bar and nice service. I have a few more MH TP runs over the next few weeks, so I might try the Plaza premium to compare.

And to confirm, the transit security in TPE is probably the easiest I've ever used in my decades of flying. I'm sure I was in the lounge before the the rest of the pax got off the plane. No BP check, no passport check, no need to take out devices from the carryon. This is completely opposite from the horrible transit experience I had a few days ago in CGK (well there is no actual transit there - just a visa on arrival money grab).
Good pick, the PP isn't bad by global standards but it's certainly no CX lounge either. Transfer at TPE is painless, entry less so (long lines very often these days). CGK is a pain and a money grab but at least it's not CAI

Btw I also have a bunch of TP runs coming up from start of Aug all the way up to 19. Which destinations are you flying to other than KUL and TPE?
Old Jul 25, 2024, 1:38 am

Originally Posted by Dave510
Good pick, the PP isn't bad by global standards but it's certainly no CX lounge either. Transfer at TPE is painless, entry less so (long lines very often these days). CGK is a pain and a money grab but at least it's not CAI

Btw I also have a bunch of TP runs coming up from start of Aug all the way up to 19. Which destinations are you flying to other than KUL and TPE?
SIN 2x and MNL 1x.
​​​​​​I also did some positioning with UL and CX for these 3 MH tickets. All this should earn me 2k TPs.

I haven't done CAI in well over a decade. I assume nothing has changed.
​​​​​
​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.