Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Gateway Los Angeles Hotel [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Gateway Los Angeles Hotel [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2023 | 7:06 pm
40 Countries Visited100k100 Nights

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Been staying at this property for over 20 years even before Starwood was born
The rates here seem to be better than the area Hyatts on average
While I like the Hyatt Regency best unfortunately since they closed the club
I’m not willing all of the time to pay their higher rates
The Sheraton has very good beds and an excellent track record for upgrading elites
The only real negative has been dining quality in their lounge in the past and some of the rooms occasionally which may be a bit worn
The refresh prior to Covid helped out a bit.That said the Sheraton is def better than most any Hyatt place dining wise
Still a solid choice @ LAX YMMV
Glad to hear - especially on the beds!
Old Jan 3, 2023 | 10:08 am
50 Countries Visited5M5 Years on Site

Programs: DL 2.3 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.2MM Gold | AS 0.5MM |MR Bonvoy Titanium
Been staying at this property for over 20 years even before Starwood was born
The rates here seem to be better than the area Hyatts on average
While I like the Hyatt Regency best unfortunately since they closed the club
I’m not willing all of the time to pay their higher rates
The Sheraton has very good beds and an excellent track record for upgrading elites
The only real negative has been dining quality in their lounge in the past and some of the rooms occasionally which may be a bit worn
The refresh prior to Covid helped out a bit.That said the Sheraton is def better than most any Hyatt place dining wise
Still a solid choice @ LAX YMMV
Stayed here on company business last month for $112 all in which was a steal considering all other hotels were $300+ that night. They upgraded me to a very nice corner suite even though the property is showing its' age, I had an excellent stay.
Old Jan 7, 2023 | 11:16 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Add me to the chorus of voices recommending the Sheraton Gateway - I spent a nice 24 hours here before heading out this morning back to LAX. The property has kept their rooms quite nice, and service attitudes here are very positive. Here are my pros, cons, and photos:

Pros:
  • Upgraded to an Executive Suite (Corner Suites showed as sold out online) automatically at check-in
  • Nice updated design in the suite that has obviously been updated somewhat recently
  • Bed is quite comfortable - covers are a bit thin but have weight, mattress is just-right/plush, and the two non-feather pillows were plush (the feather pillows were a bit lumpy and should be replaced)
  • Shower pressure was relaxing and decent - love the full glass door
  • Fast and effective Wi-Fi
  • Lots of good seating spaces and table and desk space for vacation planning
  • Able to check in at 8 AM
  • Service is really good:
    • Great check-in from Juan - "Thank you for being an Ambassador. Let me look for a suite. We have one ready, but it's only on the 4th floor. Is that okay? Where are you off to?"
    • Asked proactively about late checkout, which I didn't need
    • Friendly waiter at breakfast who really wanted to give me a to-go coffee and was continuously checking in with me
    • They took the time to process my gift card that my family gave me and apologized for the wait
  • Breakfast is confusing but good - the eggs and bacon were really tasty, so was the coffee
    • I had a voucher that said Restaurant Breakfast as I picked breakfast for my welcome gift and was told to use the buffet, which was just toast, eggs, bacon, potatoes, and sausage
    • The buffet was mentioned as a "today" thing
    • A charge did appear on my bill but was removed by the front desk when we noticed it
  • Nice view of the airport, especially at sunrise
  • Shuttle back to the airport was fast and waiting at check-out
  • Easy walk in the morning from Terminal 5 on arrival
  • Love the liquid hand wash
Cons:
  • Elevators were slow and unreliable with a full shutdown in the evening - staff were on hand to direct folks to the service elevators
  • Elevators and hallways need to have their appearance updated
  • No Internet TV OS
  • Bath towels were small and old - they need to be updated like the plush wash clothes
  • Sheraton Club still appears to be closed as the 15th floor seemed to be completely locked on the elevator
Overall, I would definitely return and would recommend the property!

Photos:

Old Jan 7, 2023 | 6:04 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Great review
Spot on with the details in all regards
Old Jan 7, 2023 | 9:08 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
Great review
Spot on with the details in all regards
Stayed here a few years ago pre covid. Wasn't impressed at all. I vividly remember the air conditioning being poor, didn't get cold at all in the room. Also the pillows sucked. No stuffing at all.
Old Jan 8, 2023 | 2:01 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by mikebor
Stayed here a few years ago pre covid. Wasn't impressed at all. I vividly remember the air conditioning being poor, didn't get cold at all in the room. Also the pillows sucked. No stuffing at all.
LAX has no great hotels that are so called impressive but the most adequate ones there are Hyatt Regency Sheraton Gateway and perhaps the Renaissance.That’s about it.If the AC was poor you have to complain or change rooms
The hotel is good giving points for service failures
I almost never like the pillows unless at a luxury hotel.I know folks that pack their own!
Not a bad idea
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2023 | 2:07 am

Originally Posted by mikebor
LAX has no great hotels that are so called impressive but the most adequate ones there are Hyatt Regency Sheraton Gateway and perhaps the Renaissance.That’s about it.If the AC was poor you have to complain or change rooms
The hotel is good giving points for service failures
I almost never like the pillows unless at a luxury hotel.I know folks that pack their own!
Not a bad idea
There were times I thought the AC was too cold - I had to turn it up to 74! The best thing about Sheraton Gateway in my opinion were the staff attitudes. You could really tell they cared about guests.
SPN Lifer and nexus7556 like this.
Old Jan 8, 2023 | 9:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
30 Countries Visited1M10 Years on Site

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Add me to the chorus of voices recommending the Sheraton Gateway - I spent a nice 24 hours here before heading out this morning back to LAX. The property has kept their rooms quite nice, and service attitudes here are very positive.
It's too bad you didn't get a corner suite, they're really nice.

All in, I prefer the Sheraton to HR, but they are close enough that I'll choose the HR (a) if I need Hyatt nights, or (b) for free parking on an award.
Old Jan 8, 2023 | 6:32 pm
50 Countries Visited5M5 Years on Site

Programs: DL 2.3 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.2MM Gold | AS 0.5MM |MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's too bad you didn't get a corner suite, they're really nice.

All in, I prefer the Sheraton to HR, but they are close enough that I'll choose the HR (a) if I need Hyatt nights, or (b) for free parking on an award.
Decided to stay at the Aloft in Segundo and I’m impressed but then again for the price point … not too shabby compared to the Sheraton tonight at $358.
Kacee likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2023 | 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
Decided to stay at the Aloft in Segundo and I’m impressed but then again for the price point … not too shabby compared to the Sheraton tonight at $358.
Oof, my rate at the Sheraton on Friday was $173. I had several stays at the Aloft El Segundo as a child. It was an interesting conversion with those windows.
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2023 | 1:43 am

I had an unexpected and impromptu stay here for the 2nd time that was booked about 20 minutes before arrival. At $169 USD for a same-day rate, it was a no-brainer. A few comments and photos of another suite type:
  • Arrived around 7 PM and checked in with a new associate - "weren't you here recently? Welcome back! Let me check on upgrades. Here is a Corner Suite! Do you need a late checkout?"
  • The guest checking in next to me was Platinum and was also upgraded to a suite - I'm nosy
  • Checked out with Juan who I checked in with last time - "Welcome back! We're glad to see you back so soon!"
  • The Corner Suites, as mentioned upthread, are nicer than the other suite type - better layout, larger bathroom, more usable furniture, more windows
  • The bed was fantastic - I don't remember the mattress in my last suite being this plush and soft - this might have been the plushest mattress I have ever stayed on
  • Received more clarity on breakfast - you either get welcome points plus continental breakfast (coffee, muffin, etc - I think) or the hot breakfast buffet and no welcome points
I will continue to see this as my hotel of choice for LAX.

Photos:

Old Feb 13, 2023 | 3:34 pm
15 Years on Site

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I also had the corner suite on a trip last year and agree that it’s pretty good.

Is the Club Lounge still closed? It had gods reviews over the airport.
Old Feb 13, 2023 | 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
I also had the corner suite on a trip last year and agree that it’s pretty good.

Is the Club Lounge still closed? It had gods reviews over the airport.
The lounge was closed as of my last stay a couple of weeks ago.
Old Mar 2, 2023 | 8:41 am
50 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: Accor Platnium, Delta Platnium, United Silver, Marriott LT Titanium, HHonors Silver, Hertz PC
Had a nice quick stay here recently and would be happy to return. The app showed an upgrade to Corner Suite on the morning of arrival and that was what I received. The room was spacious with good HVAC (non opening windows) though the tv reception was fuzzy and the room could have used a few more lights but overall it was nice. I do like the “new” Warm Oak toiletries and the bathroom had a nice walk in shower. Their shuttle didn't seem to run as frequent as others on the day I arrived and ended up waiting about 15 minutes before it arrived. As of Feb 2023 the lounge is still closed, Titanium guests could choose 1000 points plus continental breakfast or a full hot breakfast which I took. The food was good and served quickly.
MaxFlyer likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2023 | 7:10 am

Always stay here for a night before I fly out from LAX. I usually get top floors and it's got a fantastic view. Showing its age but not bad at all.
strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.