Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott “Associate Explore" and "Friends and Family” rate questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott “Associate Explore" and "Friends and Family” rate questions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2011, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by dd992emo
To my knowledge, that form still exists and still needs to be faxed to the hotel to obtain that rate, which is for, well...friends and family of Marriott employees.
form needs to be PRESENTED at checkin however some hotels will accept a faxed copy but this seems to becoming less often the case due to abuse
Old Nov 9, 2011, 5:21 am

As someone who has a family member working for Marriott, I have used the rate several times. On every occasion, the Friends and Family form had to be signed-off on by my relative's boss that tied the confirmation number of the reservation to the number of the form. Of all of the "special rates" offered by Marriott, the F&F is up there with the employee rate as the least likely for someone to "get away" with.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1K; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Diamond; CCarlson Elite
you do know this is stealing, don't you?
omfg. No.it's.not
Old Nov 9, 2011, 9:22 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Originally Posted by kcblakely
omfg. No.it's.not
You're right. Ambraciot pointed out that it is fraud, not theft...
Old Nov 9, 2011, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You're right. Ambraciot pointed out that it is fraud, not theft...
as I've said for years....each personals morales and values/sense of right and wrong will differ, it's a shame...isn't it
Old Nov 9, 2011, 12:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by billycwhatup
As someone who has a family member working for Marriott, I have used the rate several times. On every occasion, the Friends and Family form had to be signed-off on by my relative's boss that tied the confirmation number of the reservation to the number of the form. Of all of the "special rates" offered by Marriott, the F&F is up there with the employee rate as the least likely for someone to "get away" with.
I've used (legitimately) the F&F rate. Each time I had to present the certificate at check-in. The cert wasn't tied to a specific reservation #; it just has to be issued within 60 days of use/has an expiration date. I was on a European trip where I used the F&F rate at dif properties (again, legit). I didn't have to get multiple certs from my friend for each dif reservation; just printed out the # of copies to cover the dif stays.

Putting aside the fraud/theft discussion, I'd say the OP has a snowball's chance in hades of having the F&F rate honored when he checks in without the certificate - and thus 1) should have a back-up reservation somewhere; 2) shouldn't come back & complain on the forum if he attempts to use it w/o the cert & gets rejected.

Since the publicly available code link has been posted, I'd refer him to that to see if he can get a decent rate where he wants to stay.

Cheers.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 12:05 pm

We have used the friends and family rate multiple times, a good friend works for Marriott. It used to be we had to pick up a form that the associate and their manager signed off on, now she can simply send it to us in PDF and we can print it out, but it still must be approved by their supervisor. Every time we have used it we have been asked at check-in for the proper form. She has also told us that parents, siblings, and children of associates can use the associate rate, and the friends and family rate is for extended family and friends (sometimes they are the same, other times the associate rate is lower). One thing she has told us is that if you damage the room or cause issues when using the friends and family rate, it can get back to her and could have negative repercussions.

Edit to add: Just want to confirm what was said above about not being tied to a specific reservation, the form is good for 60 days from issue, and can be used for any or multiple reservations.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 5:10 pm

I don't mean to hijack the thread but I have a family and friend's form from my brother and I was curious about how often you are able to actually use that in busier places like Las Vegas? I visit Vegas a lot and would love to save a little but wasn't sure if it would be accepted...just thought I would ask before calling them. Thanks.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 4:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sctravelman
I don't mean to hijack the thread but I have a family and friend's form from my brother and I was curious about how often you are able to actually use that in busier places like Las Vegas? I visit Vegas a lot and would love to save a little but wasn't sure if it would be accepted...just thought I would ask before calling them. Thanks.
have your brother give you the online booking code - it'll make things much easier for you (these rates like many others are subject to availability)
Old Nov 17, 2011, 5:24 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Originally Posted by kcblakely
omfg. No.it's.not
oyfi. Yes. it. is.

Yes, I exceed the speed limit at times. I've rolled through a few stop signs. That makes me a speeder and a roller. But, I'm not a thief. ^
Old Dec 7, 2011, 12:10 am

Marriott employee discount

Hello,

My friend and I are planning a trip in January 2012 and my friend is using one of his close friend's Marriott employee discount code in booking the reservation. We have done this countless times before and maybe had only minor problems at check-in but were quickly resolved. Well, this time, my friend's friend is no longer employed by Marriott as of May 2011. We have used the discount code and vouchers that following July 2011 with no problems. All of his information is listed just in case someone needs to call him. I understand that it takes time for an employee to be completely out of the system but I'm concerned that this time, the discount won't work or it will be flagged in the system since it's been over six months. Can anybody tell me for certain if we will be denied or the front desk will know if the employee is no longer valid??
Old Dec 7, 2011, 2:32 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Titanium Lifetime/UA/JetBlue
Nothing personal but if you are using a discount code you are not entitled to you should be prepared to be refused check in whilst paying that rate. The hotel are quite within their rights to charge you the full rack rate.

I would go further to say it is Fraudulent. You are not entitled to use that rate as your friends friend no longer works for Marriott.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 3:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
This type of fraud has recently been addressed in another thread--

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...mily-rate.html

This ty
Originally Posted by I_love_marriott
Hello,

My friend and I are planning a trip in January 2012 and my friend is using one of his close friend's Marriott employee discount code in booking the reservation. We have done this countless times before and maybe had only minor problems at check-in but were quickly resolved. Well, this time, my friend's friend is no longer employed by Marriott as of May 2011. We have used the discount code and vouchers that following July 2011 with no problems. All of his information is listed just in case someone needs to call him. I understand that it takes time for an employee to be completely out of the system but I'm concerned that this time, the discount won't work or it will be flagged in the system since it's been over six months. Can anybody tell me for certain if we will be denied or the front desk will know if the employee is no longer valid??
Old Dec 7, 2011, 5:48 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
I do not understand what has happened to our world where people are so unethical. It is sad.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Without going into much detail I highly doubt your reservation will be honored (you'd be amazed at how quickly all large companies including MI remove associates access once they leave)

you will need to present the required ID at time of checkin and it sounds as though your friend will no longer be able to provide this to you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.