Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott “Associate Explore" and "Friends and Family” rate questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott “Associate Explore" and "Friends and Family” rate questions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2019 | 2:05 pm
20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by WGretzky
Any thoughts on this? I don’t want I book a hotel and find out once we are there that we have to move to another resort.

Its happen to me only once. The hotel paid for my first night at another Marriott hotel, at a higher rate. My understanding is that they don't have to pay though.
Old Jan 1, 2020 | 11:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Please NO NO NO. Bonvoy already has too many elites chasing too few suites, lounges are too crowded, etc. Let's not give hotels carte blanche to look out for their own who are traveling almost for "free" anyway.
I agree. I have no problem about employee getting cheapest rate staying at a RC, but if FF rate are also able to earn points and stay, and this guy not even a Marriott employee, he probably giving some money back to the one who "sell" the employee rate, is this fair? Using the trick got SNP, $150 staying at a RC half moon bay while rest of us paying $800like an idiot. Earning Platinum can never been that easy before, oh , he can still enjoy benefit.

The one reason I've never choosing Hilton is that this company giving any human being a gold even Dimaond as long as you want to, employee are also easily getting a Gold even Diamond with cheapest rate as well, their elite experience is useless to me and making those elite guest who paying more a fool,If one day Marriott like this, I would just give up my lifetime status and rather paying at a Four seasons or MO.

And did airline company ever giving miles and status to those 80 percents discount employee ticket? No!

There is a reason why Hyatt and IHG never giving credits and status to its employee and from my perspective this is not the best move of Marriott.

Last edited by Vince Chan; Jan 2, 2020 at 8:07 am
Old Jan 3, 2020 | 3:54 am
30 Countries Visited500k5 Years on Site

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by HPfly
I stayed at an Aloft on 11/27 on an associate rate. Waited and waited for the elite night to post but no dice. As soon as the 10 day window opened up I filled out a missing stay form online. I got an email from Marriott about 4 days later saying “our records indicate you stayed using an associate rate, associate rates do not qualify to earn elite night credit blah blah blah”. I responded to the email that they were indeed eligible as of 11/25 and I got an email back a few days ago saying they have added the night and the points. I feel like it might be a bit of a learning curve from the outset.
Had to call in for a friends stay on Dec15, but I’ve had 2 stays since dec 21 post automatically.
bbbb likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2020 | 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
Originally Posted by HPfly
I stayed at an Aloft on 11/27 on an associate rate. Waited and waited for the elite night to post but no dice. As soon as the 10 day window opened up I filled out a missing stay form online. I got an email from Marriott about 4 days later saying “our records indicate you stayed using an associate rate, associate rates do not qualify to earn elite night credit blah blah blah”. I responded to the email that they were indeed eligible as of 11/25 and I got an email back a few days ago saying they have added the night and the points. I feel like it might be a bit of a learning curve from the outset.
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
Had to call in for a friends stay on Dec15, but I’ve had 2 stays since dec 21 post automatically.
Dealing with this now. Had one on Dec 14 or 15 post automatically; another on Dec 28 has not. Filed the form and got rejected. Going to reply now and see what they say. I'll call if I need to.

They're saying that my account needs to be "converted to an employee account" which shouldn't be the case. I'm not the employee but my wife is. It should still count for me since I did book it under my name and credit card. She did provide the form and I'm already elite through my own travel.

Edit: Emailed back and within an hour got a reply and they added the points/nights. I had to explain what I stated above since that seems to have been the source of confusion.

Last edited by civicmon; Jan 13, 2020 at 1:07 pm Reason: Robert Stack: Update!
Old Jan 13, 2020 | 12:02 pm

I had another stay with the friends rate on Jan 1 that didn't post. However, my dad's associate rate did post (same hotel, same night). Go figure.
Old Feb 20, 2020 | 11:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Curious, who exactly is eligible for these rates:

- Who qualifies as an "associate" of Marriott? Any employee?

- Can they just nominate anyone as friend & family? Is there a limit?
Old Feb 21, 2020 | 12:11 am
kkl
10 Years on Site

Originally Posted by helvetic

MMF - friends - 5 nominees, 2 or 3 months validity iirc
Old Feb 21, 2020 | 12:19 am
10 Years on Site

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by helvetic

Not sure of the first question but I can answer the second as I just used the Explore Friends rate this week.

There are two different rates with different booking codes.
The Explore Rate is used by:
Spouse or Domestic Partner of Associate
Child of Associate
Parent or Parent-in-Law of Associate or Parent of Domestic Partner Brother or Sister of Associate

The Explore Friends Rate can be used by anyone the employee chooses.

In both cases, the employee must give the user an authorization form that is good for two months from the date of issue and has to be generated by the employee in their internal system. The form is personalized to the friend/family member and has the employee’s name and employee number as well as their manager’s name, phone number and email address. There is no limit to the number of times the form can be used in that two month period, nor is there (I believe) any limit on how many forms the employee can give out. I just used one on Tuesday as a friend of an employee. He gives me a new form every two months and I am always asked for it at check in. It is very specific that it may only be used for personal (not business) travel. . The rates can be quite amazing.
Old Feb 21, 2020 | 1:36 am
Moderator: Hyatt, American Express; FlyerTalk Evangelist
5 Years on Site

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, AA EXP, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Mlife Noir (=> Marriott Amb), invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Finkface
He gives me a new form every two months and I am always asked for it at check in. It is very specific that it may only be used for personal (not business) travel. . The rates can be quite amazing.
Interesting, I've used this rate once a year or two ago, and twice this year, but have yet to be asked to produce the form (though I have had it available to be presented if need be)

For this year's stays, neither one has posted automatically, but both have been manually posted fairly quickly after submitting a "missing stay" form.
Old Feb 21, 2020 | 1:55 am
10 Years on Site

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Zorak
Interesting, I've used this rate once a year or two ago, and twice this year, but have yet to be asked to produce the form (though I have had it available to be presented if need be)

For this year's stays, neither one has posted automatically, but both have been manually posted fairly quickly after submitting a "missing stay" form.
My stay from this week hasn’t posted either. Nor did the one from last week come to think of it. But I have used the form probably six times since November and have been asked for it every time.
Old Feb 21, 2020 | 1:57 am

Originally Posted by Zorak
I was 2/2 on posting automatically 2 weeks ago.
Old Feb 21, 2020 | 7:23 am
5 Years on Site

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
I was 2/2 on posting automatically 2 weeks ago.
I'm 2 for 2 as well but I'm missing an Award stay so go figure. :-:
Old May 12, 2020 | 3:33 am

Does anyone know if there is an issue using the Marriott e-gift cards on stays booked with Explore Friends/MMF?

they have that great 20% offer but wouldn’t want to risk that not being usable
Old May 12, 2020 | 6:57 am
15 Years on Site

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by wishman35
Does anyone know if there is an issue using the Marriott e-gift cards on stays booked with Explore Friends/MMF?

There should be no issue, gift cards are a valid form of payment.
Old May 12, 2020 | 10:37 am
5 Years on Site

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by wishman35

I was wondering the same and can’t see why Marriott would want to penalize their own employees and beneficiaries from helping infuse cash into the company via these promotional offers.

I have a few stays coming up and this would help me save at least $10 per night on average.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.