Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott “Associate Explore" and "Friends and Family” rate questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott “Associate Explore" and "Friends and Family” rate questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2021 | 8:51 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by FlyingHigh20
Has anybody else realized that the explore rates have gone up today? Fairfields - up $5 to 45, Courtyards/Springhill's - up $7; Marriotts up $10...etc.
yeah I teasing a rep about their good rates... she said they all went up..
Old Mar 30, 2021 | 10:12 pm
5 Years on Site

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by t1c
yeah I teasing a rep about their good rates... she said they all went up..
One CA property I frequent hasn't gone up in price while one in WA has. The rate isn't fixed per brand. Is it seasonal perhaps?

James
Old Mar 31, 2021 | 4:15 am

Just to confirm, are elite benefits still rec’d when staying under associate rates?
Old Mar 31, 2021 | 5:33 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
One CA property I frequent hasn't gone up in price while one in WA has. The rate isn't fixed per brand. Is it seasonal perhaps?

James
Not seasonal, although interesting enough, I can't book it out farther than June. I seem to remember being able to book further out than that.

The rate IS FIXED per brand but there are a few exceptions (namely in tourist area's such as Key West, NYC, Disneyland/Anaheim, and some beach cities). Curious as to which CA property you are referring to. I'm noticing the rates are consistent by brand across the country in all markets.
Old Mar 31, 2021 | 9:29 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; Finnair Platinum
Not seasonal, although interesting enough, I can't book it out farther than June. I seem to remember being able to book further out than that.

The rate IS FIXED per brand but there are a few exceptions (namely in tourist area's such as Key West, NYC, Disneyland/Anaheim, and some beach cities). Curious as to which CA property you are referring to. I'm noticing the rates are consistent by brand across the country in all markets.
The rate is not fixed, though it has a minimum threshold which most properties chose to do so. And yes Marriott Hotel, and Marriott Hotel *Resort* has different threshold

Last edited by Kraafish; Mar 31, 2021 at 12:26 pm
Old Mar 31, 2021 | 12:02 pm

Programs: AA Pro;Ritz Carlton Ambassador;Hilton Silver: SPG Gold
Has anybody else realized that the explore rates have gone up today? Fairfields - up $5 to 45, Courtyards/Springhill's - up $7; Marriotts up $10...etc.
Yes, noticed most went up. The Edition NY is now $219/night compared to $179 two years ago. Still a big difference compared to the regular rate but still, increases are not fun.
Old Apr 3, 2021 | 5:43 am

Originally Posted by Kraafish
The rate is not fixed, though it has a minimum threshold which most properties chose to do so. And yes Marriott Hotel, and Marriott Hotel *Resort* has different threshold
Apologies. The "Associate" rate is fixed. The "friends and family" rate is not.
Old May 29, 2021 | 4:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Breakfast for titanium?!

Does explore friends rate include breakfast ? No one seems to know at hotels!!
Old May 29, 2021 | 4:11 pm
10 Years on Site

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
I have always gotten full benefits in the past when I was plat. As recently as last year.
Old May 29, 2021 | 6:46 pm

*edit

Last edited by itsabouttime; Jun 9, 2021 at 1:41 pm Reason: *edit
Old May 29, 2021 | 10:24 pm
30 Countries Visited500k5 Years on Site

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
You should be receiving the standard benefits as if you were booked on the rack rate.
Old May 30, 2021 | 2:22 am

In most of the cases breakfast is not included, it is explicitly written on the rate when it is included.
However, the rate is eligible for Marriott Bonvoy benefits. So if you are platinum or above you are entitled to have free breakfast in most of the brands.
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old May 30, 2021 | 3:40 am
5 Years on Site

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
The Explore Friends Rate does not include breakfast. You would only receive breakfast if the hotel was already offering it to all guests OR you are a Platinum and above and eligible for breakfast as a welcome choice OR the rate that was booked includes breakfast.

Otherwise you’ll be paying for breakfast. The Explore Friends rate is now a qualifying rate so it should be treated like any other available rates that Marriott has except for those that are not qualifying rates of course.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 31, 2021 | 2:49 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
The Explore Friends Rate does not include breakfast. You would only receive breakfast if the hotel was already offering it to all guests OR you are a Platinum and above and eligible for breakfast as a welcome choice OR the rate that was booked includes breakfast.

Otherwise you’ll be paying for breakfast. The Explore Friends rate is now a qualifying rate so it should be treated like any other available rates that Marriott has except for those that are not qualifying rates of course.
Thanks!! Now, my issue is two hotels - a Cat 7 Westin; and a Cat 8 St. Regis have said "no breakfast" on Explore Rate. How can I tactfully and delicately show that I qualify?

Thanks!!
Old May 31, 2021 | 2:53 am

I looked at this too and agree Explore Rate should qualify - but, this isn't a succinct way of showing a front desk clerk in a foreign country!!

2.1.e. Qualifying Rates. A “Qualifying Rate” is the rate a Member pays for a Stay in a guest room at a Participating Property which qualifies to earn Points or Miles. Qualifying Rates include most business and leisure rates, such as rates found on Marriott.com without an application of a discount code, Standard and Premium Retail rates, Advanced Purchase rates, Corporate negotiated rates, and national/regional/local Government rates. Unless otherwise specifically stated, Members will receive their membership tier benefits during stays on Qualifying Rates.

i. At participating Design HotelsTM, Members earn Points or Miles on Qualifying Charges only on Stays at a Qualifying Rate. Members do not earn Points or Miles on Stays at a Non-Qualifying Rate at participating Design HotelsTM even if they incur Qualifying Charges such as for incidental spend.

ii. At Marriott Executive Apartments, Members earn Points or Miles on the Qualifying Rate only even if they incur Qualifying Charges.

2.1.f. Non-Qualifying Rates. A “Non-Qualifying Rate” is a rate a Member pays for a Stay in a guest room at a Participating Property which does not qualify to earn Points or Miles, as well as membership tier benefits. Non-Qualifying Rates are those booked using the following methods:

i. The guest room was booked through a tour operator, online travel channel or other third-party channel including, without limitation, expedia.com, hotwire.com, priceline.com, orbitz.com, booking.com, travelocity.com; or

ii. The guest room was booked at a group rate as part of an event, meeting, conference or organized tour, and the Member does not directly pay the Participating Property for such room; or

iii. The guest room was booked at a tour operator, wholesaler, or crew room rate or package including, without limitation, Fam-Tastic® rates, Plan-Tastic® rates, travel industry rates and organized tours or package bookings; or

iv. The guest room was complimentary; or

v. A voucher or third-party award was redeemed for the guest room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.