Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Renaissance Naples Hotel Mediterraneo, Italy [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Renaissance Naples Hotel Mediterraneo, Italy [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2024 | 3:43 pm
50 Countries Visited1M15 Years on Site

Programs: DL PM; IHG DIaAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat/LT Gold
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
But you did complain when you posted that suites are available for sale. Do you know that any other room in the category you got was available? My dismay is people think because they have PLT or any other status they deserve a suite or a bigger room. Now, an Ambassador should get a bigger, nicer room. This is my go-to Hotel in Napoli and being LifeTime PLT, I don't expect much, our first stay here we had the same category room as the one you have, but since that stay, have been upgraded to a bigger room. We stay here for the location and view from the breakfast buffet.
People are paying for these rooms these days
No, again you didn't read what I said.

After I had posted a question about whether it was worth using a NUA at this hotel- which you didn't provide any response to despite your self-professed expertise, I came back and provided an update as to what actually came to pass, and used the word "disappointing". You took that as an opportunity to say I didn't know how to read and was claiming entitlement to something. In my understanding of the English language, one can be disappointed to not receive something even though they are not entitled to it.

To the extent my initial post , which you felt the need to criticize, was a "complaint" at all, the complaint was that I was told I was upgraded when in reality I was not, and indeed was given a room with only a tiny stall shower and smaller than the rooms in the category I booked. So yes, people pay for the 90% of rooms at the property that have a tub and a sitting chair. (Which the hotel advertises as being features of the Deluxe room). I am one of those people.

I did not ever say I was entitled to a better room, which is what your nasty response about reading the terms and conditions implied.

I'm glad the hotel works for you, given how many other Marriott properties there are in Naples I can see why it's your "go to". One shouldn't need to be a repeat guest to receive a room that has the basic features they booked and is perhaps more well-maintained. Or am I not allowed to say that because you don't think I paid enough or am only a lifetime gold and a platinum? Please, let me know what you think I am allowed to feel.

I know the terms and conditions of the Bonvoy program so not entitle me to a room in better condition than this one, but I can only hope one day to be as deserving as you. Your responses have actually only moved me from the milquetoast notation that this was "disappointing" to being angrier. So, good job.

​​​​​
​​​​​

Last edited by Adam1222; Jun 1, 2024 at 3:54 pm
Old Jun 1, 2024 | 4:44 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
But you did complain when you posted that suites are available for sale. Do you know that any other room in the category you got was available? My dismay is people think because they have PLT or any other status they deserve a suite or a bigger room. Now, an Ambassador should get a bigger, nicer room. This is my go-to Hotel in Napoli and being LifeTime PLT, I don't expect much, our first stay here we had the same category room as the one you have, but since that stay, have been upgraded to a bigger room. We stay here for the location and view from the breakfast buffet.
People are paying for these rooms these days
of course a Platinum deserves a bigger room, based on availability. Creating extra categories of rooms to claim upgrades is a sad trend and bogus when fine just yo say you’ve been upgraded. That should just be considered a better room in the same category, and a true one category upgrade is reasonable to expect.

A shoebox room is a shoebox room. Which is why I don’t stay there when I’m in Naples (just left), even though I’m Titanium.
Old Jun 1, 2024 | 4:48 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by beachfan
of course a Platinum deserves a bigger room, based on availability. Creating extra categories of rooms to claim upgrades is a sad trend and bogus when done just to say you’ve been upgraded. That should just be considered a better room in the same category, and a true one category upgrade is reasonable to expect (if available).

A shoebox room is a shoebox room. Which is why I don’t stay there when I’m in Naples (just left), even though I’m Titanium.
Old Aug 20, 2024 | 3:21 am

Programs: FB Platinum For Life, HH Diamond
Renaissance Naples Mediterraneo

Seven day stay at the Renaissance Naples Mediterraneo without Bonvoy status for standard room with a rate of approximately € 400 per night (breakfast included). Especially considering the price, this was not a good deal. The rooms are old (the sliding doors of the ancient cupboard fell out and had to be re-attached by maintenance) and small (given a "small upgrade" to a room that is not the very smallest, but still quite claustrophobic for a seven day stay). Very restricted place to store things, several of the power outlets did not work anymore. In general, the service level is that of a decent four-star business hotel, nothing more, nothing less. That's fine, but not quite in line with the price tag.

Positive points. The rooftop bar is the redeeming feature. Breakfast is served there. The breakfast itself was just about OK, functional with minor glitches (e.g., the "Americano coffee" that the machine dispenses is instant coffee -- in order to get a proper Americano, you need to choose the espresso and lengthen with hot water), but the views of Mt Vesuvius and the bay are stunning. Cocktails in the evening are not overpriced and often (but not always) served with free snacks. Rooftop pool opening hours very good.

Negative points. There was no designated concierge desk, so all requests had to be done via the reception desk and they didn't feel responsible. E.g., a request for a plate and cutlery for the room was not referred to housekeeping, but I was told to go to the rooftop bar and ask there. The reception desk claims that they "organise" tours, but really, they just call a local taxi and negotiate with the driver for you. When there are issues with the driver, they say that that's not their problem (and get strangely defensive). Even a simple request to mail postcards (and of course charge for it) was denied ("go to a tobacco store").

I would certainly not choose the hotel again at this rate. At a more reasonable rate, it is a decent business hotel in urgent need of a refurbishment. It is not a good choice for a vacation stay.
goodeats21, JayeJ and Cook200 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.