Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Ambassador without the spend requirement?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ambassador without the spend requirement?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2020 | 1:58 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by margarita girl
It was a superb benefit pioneered by Starwood. It meant you could keep your room for 24 hrs. Check in at 8 pm, you can check out at 8 pm the following day. Check in at 7 am, check out at 7 am the next day. (Realistically, it was not unusual to be able to keep a room for more than 24 hrs.) It was all done online with roughly a 90% approval rate. You could submit months in advance and would get a response within 24 hrs. Marriott pretty well destroyed this benefit. Everything has to be requested through Ambassador, and it seems the denial rate is running at about 90% of the time.
I actually had the opposite experience. Your24 never worked without intervention. You had to actually speak to someone, ask why the Your24 was rejected, they could contact the property. I tried it twice, successful one time with agent's intervention and not successful other time. Stopped trying after that.

The 7am isn't that hard. Hyatt is pretty good about early check-in. What is really hard is the late night check-in and them giving you the room til the next night (basically meaning 2 nights instead of 1).
Old Aug 7, 2020 | 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Years on Site

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by khabah
I think it's a shame that, nearly two years since the programs merged and with countless lurking from Marriott on boards as these as well as innumerable surveys and other attempts to gauge our feedback, Marriott remains woefully out of touch. I find it personally difficult to visibly make some things worse - for instance, the way SPG clearly laid out e-mail addresses on their websites, yet in this day and age when everything takes place electronically, they made a conscious decision to conceal this information and make it that much harder to obtain. How does someone think to themselves "hey, this is a great idea"? People whined about Marriott's legacy IT for the longest time, yet after acquiring a company with a far superior IT backend, they still decided to kill the better product and roll it over to their inferior platform rather than use it as an opportunity to elevate their own standards. Is it laziness? Is it too much addiction to the $$$? Whatever it is, the only impression I've been getting from Marriott in my three years as an Ambassador member is that all they give a d*mn about is the money, and if you happen to get anything back from that of value then it's purely coincidental.

I echo the experiences of Keyser and margarita girl with Your24. It worked. By being able to interact with a functional platform that not only worked but in the majority of cases approved one's requests made I [and others I'm sure] as a customer felt like I had a living, give-and-take relationship with SPG. Under Marriott, it feels much more like a 9-digit number - more removed, more artificial and ingenuine in its expression and delivery. I'm not versed in finance, but despite understanding that COVID has about decimated the travel and hospitality industries, cannot understand how Marriott would immediately move to castrate the experience for their highest-paying customers without offering anything as much as an apology or alternative - yet Ambassador Elite status still stands at 20000 dollars. If I were them, to read these forums and see the growing discontent at how lackluster their flagship tier is and the growing willingness and encouragement of others to direct anything beyond 50 nights to other chains would sound an alarm... but again, Marriott.

$$$$$. No más.

khabah
I'm not convinced that IT problems is the reason why hotel email addresses aren't displayed in the main page. How hard can that be? I'm not a big fan of using social media to contact the properties. I like how Hyatt display the email address in the property's main page.
Old Aug 7, 2020 | 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
50 Countries Visited2M100 Nights15 Years on Site

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I actually had the opposite experience. Your24 never worked without intervention. You had to actually speak to someone, ask why the Your24 was rejected, they could contact the property. I tried it twice, successful one time with agent's intervention and not successful other time. Stopped trying after that.
I’m not a statistician, but I’d say a sample of 2 is not enough to draw a conclusion.

I think the best Your24 I had was when I checked in at 3 am once and checked out at 3 pm the following day (36 hrs later)! It wasn’t planned that way, but I had a schedule change.
Keyser and lsquare like this.
Old Aug 7, 2020 | 4:57 am
5 Years on Site

Originally Posted by s0ssos

The 7am isn't that hard. Hyatt is pretty good about early check-in. What is really hard is the late night check-in and them giving you the room til the next night (basically meaning 2 nights instead of 1).
The “how wonderfully your24 worked during the spg days” narrative is just an imprinted memory on those who long for the spg days of bygone eras. For them, anything spg related was just short of heaven on earth. Your24 rarely, if ever, worked and almost all properties had the default reply of “requested denied due to projected high occupancy levels.”

I even had a hotel (LM Piccadilly) deny my 6pm
Your24 request due projected high occupancy levels and then email me offering a 6pm late check-out for a fee of one-half the daily rate. I complained to starwood and they, of xourse, did nothing about it and said it was entirely up to the property and would not overrule the hotel.

Your24 doesn’t work now, with Bonvoy, and it didn’t work back then, with SPG, despite whatever imprinted memories people may try to concoct.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2020 | 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
The “how wonderfully your24 worked during the spg days” narrative is just an imprinted memory on those who long for the spg days of bygone eras. For them, anything spg related was just short of heaven on earth. Your24 rarely, if ever, worked and almost all properties had the default reply of “requested denied due to projected high occupancy levels.”

Your24 request due projected high occupancy levels and then email me offering a 6pm late check-out for a fee of one-half the daily rate. I complained to starwood and they, of xourse, did nothing about it and said it was entirely up to the property and would not overrule the hotel.

Your24 doesn’t work now, with Bonvoy, and it didn’t work back then, with SPG, despite whatever imprinted memories people may try to concoct.
its not an imprinted memory....it worked for me then & doesn't work now....i can't speak for anyone else but i had great success with this benefit....
margarita girl likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2020 | 8:48 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Programs: AA, Delta, Marriott, IHG
What’s the value of Ambassador status since most North Americans based Ambassadors have been furloughed and it’s very likely that they won’t be brought back in 2021 unless Marriott business and high end travel outlook improve dramatically. There’s no indication of that from any of the industry leaders at this point
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2020 | 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Ripley62
What’s the value of Ambassador status since most North Americans based Ambassadors have been furloughed and it’s very likely that they won’t be brought back in 2021 unless Marriott business and high end travel outlook improve dramatically. There’s no indication of that from any of the industry leaders at this point
Apparent higher status.

David
Old Aug 7, 2020 | 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Years on Site

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
In my opinion, it's fairly useless.
Old Aug 7, 2020 | 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Chalk me up as another "worked great and was pretty easy w/SPG, didn't work and was a total PITA w/Marriott" person
Old Aug 7, 2020 | 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by MePlatPremier

I find it ironic that FTers actually have rosy memories. I guess it happens to most people anyway, where they forget what actually happened for a re-creation of something nicer. But FTers are so prone to complaining and I would think they would remember each and every slight (and some do seem to).
Nobody has commented where these success rates were. One poster did say NYC and Boston were no-go, and one of my hotels were in Brooklyn. It may be fine at your run of the mill bumpkin hotel but when you go to a big crowded city the success drops down to near 0.
Old Aug 7, 2020 | 12:40 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: AA MM EP, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTT, HH Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
With ADRs way down given COVID, and many F&B outlets closed, the $20K spend requirement is a lot more of a challenge this year. I just hit 200 EQN this year, including more than 100 paid nights in category 7 properties, and am under $16K in spend. There’s still a decent chance I’ll hit $20K, but it takes a ridiculous number of EQN this year to do so (and I did not reach ambassador status last year so I don’t have a status extension to fall back on). I think it would have been smart for Marriott to reduce the spend requirement this year or credit some spend from last year, as they did with EQNs, to encourage tier striving behavior.
lsquare and rubey419 like this.
Old Aug 7, 2020 | 12:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
30 Countries Visited1M10 Years on Site

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by merrickdb
With ADRs way down given COVID, and many F&B outlets closed, the $20K spend requirement is a lot more of a challenge this year. I just hit 200 EQN this year, including more than 100 paid nights in category 7 properties, and am under $16K in spend. There’s still a decent chance I’ll hit $20K, but it takes a ridiculous number of EQN this year to do so (and I did not reach ambassador status last year so I don’t have a status extension to fall back on). I think it would have been smart for Marriott to reduce the spend requirement this year or credit some spend from last year, as they did with EQNs, to encourage tier striving behavior.
If they want to encourage tier striving behavior, Marriott should make the tier more attractive. (And stop devaluing the program and stop allowing properties to screw their customers with predatory no refund policies.)
MSPeconomist, lsquare and anteater like this.
Old Aug 7, 2020 | 2:03 pm

Programs: Marriot Ambassador ; Delta Diamond ; Avis President's Club ; National Exec Elite
Agreed I hope they lower the spend requirements at the very least. My company leaders have already said we won’t be traveling extensively likely until mid-next year at the earliest. I don’t see us going back to the pre-Covid “glory days”. Was 80% on the road last year but probably will be 50% or less going forward. And many clients/firms had already started limiting travel budgets long before Covid.
Old Aug 7, 2020 | 2:07 pm

Programs: Marriot Ambassador ; Delta Diamond ; Avis President's Club ; National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by merrickdb
Thats a good point. I do give Marriot kudos for extending our status and crediting our accounts with additional nights, but for the few still actively on the road now, should have a lower spend threshold for 2020.

Just curious what do you do to be traveling heavily even right now? I’m in consulting where much of it has scaled back, or at least for my group.
Old Aug 7, 2020 | 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I used Your24 under Starwood all over the world, successful the vast majority of the time, also enjoy the "start at 9am and still enjoy 4pm" official benefit too. Request online, good communication from hotels - not that complicated

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.