Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Reservation Cancelled due hotel quarantine

Old Mar 16, 2021 | 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD

So I had a booking for the last 2 months at the 4 points in Sydney. I have just had an email to say due to the hotel continuing with the hotel quarantine program that my reservation has been cancelled. I can either do nothing or they can look at getting me a booking at a nearby hotel which is a higher cost (double what I booked!)

Anything I can do?

Last edited by ANstar; Mar 16, 2021 at 5:57 pm
Old Mar 16, 2021 | 6:29 pm
50 Countries Visited1M100 Nights15 Years on Site

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Probably not really - There is no legal way you can stay at the hotel. Pandemic travel is never simple, nor always the best value, hence you probably need to be pragmatic.

Not sure about how far in advance the notice given was, but you are probably best to look for your own hotel at a price point you are happy with and saving the points for later. I am presuming it is far in advance of the stay and hence any obligations for a room guarantee are not valid.

If you really wanted to use points you could switch to one of the other Sydney hotels for more points I guess.

If you really wanted to be aggressive you could always push hard to stay at another hotel for the same points, but the difference is going to be significant and I can't see why Marriott would feel it is a fair goodwill gesture. This will be impacting paid rates too.
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2021 | 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks its a cash booking over Easter so the other hotels are already pretty pricey. Doesn't really give me much confidence in being able to book with Marriott if they can't guarantee you will be accomodate din some way when you make a reservation. Oh well - thanks for taking the time to respond. Appreciate it.
Old Mar 16, 2021 | 8:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by ANstar
Doesn't really give me much confidence in being able to book with Marriott if they can't guarantee you will be accomodate din some way when you make a reservation.
It's not just Marriott. These are exceptional times, and many hotels exclude those from many "guarantees" just like acts of zod.
Old Mar 16, 2021 | 11:46 pm
50 Countries Visited1M100 Nights15 Years on Site

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Thanks its a cash booking over Easter so the other hotels are already pretty pricey. Doesn't really give me much confidence in being able to book with Marriott if they can't guarantee you will be accomodate din some way when you make a reservation. Oh well - thanks for taking the time to respond. Appreciate it.
Sorry to hear, as it is (just over) two weeks away they probably feel that they've done what they need to. You can push on the basis it is a special time but unless they own other properties in Sydney you are probably on your own. You may want to ask that and if they can arrange a discount elsewhere, though to be fair it seems like they have offered something even if it isn't ideal for you with the "other property that is nearby".

Indeed it is a shame that this is very one-sided to Marriott but these are exceptional circumstances due to the nature (quarantine), it isn't like they've done superbowl cancellations or changes that have left people similarly upset.
Old Mar 17, 2021 | 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Years on Site

So I had a booking for the last 2 months at the 4 points in Sydney. I have just had an email to say due to the hotel continuing with the hotel quarantine program that my reservation has been cancelled. I can either do nothing or they can look at getting me a booking at a nearby hotel which is a higher cost (double what I booked!)

Anything I can do?
When?
From your profile location of London guessing you will be doing a 14 day isolation on entry to AU. It may be at the 4 Points Sydney
AU CV19 thread-->https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocea...l#post33105278
Old Mar 17, 2021 | 1:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
When?
From your profile location of London guessing you will be doing a 14 day isolation on entry to AU. It may be at the 4 Points Sydney
AU CV19 thread-->https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocea...l#post33105278
Sorry - Haven't updated profile in yonks... live in Australia and booking was for Sydney. (updating profile now!)
Old Mar 17, 2021 | 8:46 am
15 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver (Thanks Marriott!), Marriott Lifetime Titanium & Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
acts of zod.
Fantastic typo! Instant flashbacks to Terence Stamp in Superman 2.
Old Mar 17, 2021 | 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It's not just Marriott. These are exceptional times, and many hotels exclude those from many "guarantees" just like acts of zod.
Super, man!

David
Old Mar 17, 2021 | 7:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I think you should contact the hotel with a clear plan of what you would like as a service recovery. Thats much more productive that having them try to come up with something or guess what you might want.
Old Mar 17, 2021 | 9:27 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Chewie
Fantastic typo!
No typo.
littlevoices likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2021 | 11:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I think you should contact the hotel with a clear plan of what you would like as a service recovery. Thats much more productive that having them try to come up with something or guess what you might want.
This.

Asking for something very specific (and reasonableness) has a vastly larger chance of being accomplished than asking a property to start tossing out offers. Perhaps what you want is easily done -- perhaps not.
Old Mar 18, 2021 | 7:31 pm
40 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

This happens regularly in Singapore. Hotels accept bookings way in advance. Then some weeks prior to the stay, they would write to the guest to say that the government has extended its contract to use the hotel as a quarantine facility. Tough, they will cancel your booking, no recourse. No compensation is offered or payable as they claim the hotel is not "legally" allowed to operate by the government.
Old Mar 18, 2021 | 7:36 pm
Original Poster

An update. I managed to get rebooked at the alternate property in Sydney for the same rate which is a great outcome
Old Mar 19, 2021 | 9:13 am
40 Countries Visited60 Nights5M15 Years on Site

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What was the original property and which one is the alternate they're giving you?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.