Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott São Paulo [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2022, 2:40 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG

In a major downgrade for the property, the former and currently-shuttered Four Seasons Hotel São Paulo is rebranding and reopening in Q2 2022 as JW Marriott São Paulo.

Press release from Marriott below.

khabah

Marriott International Signs Agreement to Bring JW Marriott Brand to São Paulo

Located in the heart of São Paulo´s new Financial District, JW Marriott Hotel São Paulo will make its long-awaited debut in Brazil´'s largest city

Marriott International, Inc. today announced that it has signed an agreement to debut JW Marriott Hotel São Paulo in Parque da Cidade, a Class A, LEED-certified mixed-use complex located in one of the city’s main and burgeoning business districts. JW Marriott Hotel São Paulo will be converted from an existing luxury property and is anticipated to serve as Marriott International’s first luxury hotel in São Paulo. The hotel is expected to open in Q2 2022.

Strategically located along Avenida Nações Unidas within proximity to major business and exclusive entertainment areas in the city, JW Marriott Hotel São Paulo is expected to feature 258 spacious, well-appointed guestrooms, a full-service restaurant, a lounge/bar, a luxurious spa with five treatment rooms, an indoor/outdoor swimming pool, a state-of-the-art fitness center, and other high-end amenities. In addition, the hotel will offer six meeting spaces totaling more than 1,000m², making it a prime destination for business meetings and conferences.

The growing presence of global companies in the area has fueled corporate demand for hotels and continues to position Parque da Cidade and São Paulo as a major global and tourism hub, which will be further bolstered by iconic brands such as JW Marriott.

“We are thrilled to continue expanding our long-standing presence in Brazil in the luxury segment and with one of our flagship brands,” said Bojan Kumer, Regional Vice President, Marriott International. “Brazil is a key and strategic market in our portfolio and today’s signing further underscores our growth commitment to the country. We look forward to positioning JW Marriott Hotel São Paulo as the leading luxury hotel in the city and country.”

JW Marriott is part of Marriott International’s luxury portfolio of brands and consists of beautiful properties and distinctive resort locations around the world. Rooted in holistic well-being, JW Marriott Hotel São Paulo aims to be an oasis in this bustling city, designed to allow guests to focus on feeling whole – present in mind, nourished in body, and revitalized in spirit – through programs and offerings that encourage them to come together and experience every moment to the fullest. The property is set to redefine the concept of luxury in the powerful commercial and cultural center of South America, where world-class service meets local culture and lush green spaces.

Marriott International currently operates 11 properties in Brazil and over 300 across the Caribbean and Latin America region.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 8:40 am

Programs: BAEC GfL, Marriott Bonvoy TfL
What a bizarre location for a hotel of such stature. Might make sense when Parque da Cidade is fully developed, but right you're going even further away from where the action is (and the Hyatt and Hilton are located) near Shopping Market Place and Morumbi. On a bad day, places like Faria Lima and Avenida Paulista will take over an hour to get to via Av. das Nacoes Unidas. Fairly good for Congonhas, but disastrous for Guarulhos. Conclusion: I see no reason to change from the Renaissance.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 5:27 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat, KE elite, United Gold
Originally Posted by Steve74
What a bizarre location for a hotel of such stature. Might make sense when Parque da Cidade is fully developed, but right you're going even further away from where the action is (and the Hyatt and Hilton are located) near Shopping Market Place and Morumbi. On a bad day, places like Faria Lima and Avenida Paulista will take over an hour to get to via Av. das Nacoes Unidas. Fairly good for Congonhas, but disastrous for Guarulhos. Conclusion: I see no reason to change from the Renaissance.
Agree.
If they are solely focused on business travelers then maybe it's ok, but from Paque da cidade to itaim bibi would take more than a hour during rush hour.
10km from Itaim, let alone paulista and pinheiros.
2019~20 I've mainly stayed in Renaissance, then converted to Grand Hyatt+Sheraton+Renaissance in 21 because of tired room condition of Renaissance.
The newly renovated rooms in Sheraton are quite decent and serve as a decent business hotel but only 3 rooms have a bathtub.
I will try the JW out once but wouldn't change from Sheraton or Renaissance at this point.
Maybe it'd be good to stay in JW during F1 Race since closer to Interlagos

Excited about Rosewood though.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Any experience at this new property?

The few posts at the beginning of the year pointed out the location that was not convenient, until maybe, the completion of Parque da Cidade. I doubt that 6 months made a difference in that progress.

I am unsure if I should pick up the Sheraton with its renovated rooms or the tired Renaissance or the Hilton (I do not have a status with Hyatt).

I might try the Rosewood, but just for a couple of days, taking into consideration the rates (almost USD 600/night, unless I made an error) and the perks that I would not have.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 6:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat, KE elite, United Gold
Originally Posted by UASPG
Any experience at this new property?

The few posts at the beginning of the year pointed out the location that was not convenient, until maybe, the completion of Parque da Cidade. I doubt that 6 months made a difference in that progress.

I am unsure if I should pick up the Sheraton with its renovated rooms or the tired Renaissance or the Hilton (I do not have a status with Hyatt).

I might try the Rosewood, but just for a couple of days, taking into consideration the rates (almost USD 600/night, unless I made an error) and the perks that I would not have.
So I've stayed at their corner suite, forgot the name but the room had the exact same design from FS so it was good.
Deco was good, quality was good, but located just too far off from the center.
Horrible neighborhood vibe around the hotel, does not match JW at all, and has nowhere to walk to.
When we were staying in late May the hotel was almost empty throughout the weekend.
We were the only table at the Italian restaurant when we dined for lunch on Sunday.
Nobody for almost 2 hours. It was just sad. Food is great.

Just remind that the club lounge is abysmal, with almost no option of anything. Think of a normal US hotel club lounge.
I would go for Renaissance for 1) better service, 2) better breakfast and club lounge (has a bartender for easy drinks) 3) unbeatable location
Walk right out of Renaissance to the Sunday Avenida Paulista(closed for cars) and also enjoy the park nearby.

If you are visiting SP for the first time, dont even consider going all the way down to JW.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by xrapidox
So I've stayed at their corner suite, forgot the name but the room had the exact same design from FS so it was good.
Deco was good, quality was good, but located just too far off from the center.
Horrible neighborhood vibe around the hotel, does not match JW at all, and has nowhere to walk to.
When we were staying in late May the hotel was almost empty throughout the weekend.
We were the only table at the Italian restaurant when we dined for lunch on Sunday.
Nobody for almost 2 hours. It was just sad. Food is great.

Just remind that the club lounge is abysmal, with almost no option of anything. Think of a normal US hotel club lounge.
I would go for Renaissance for 1) better service, 2) better breakfast and club lounge (has a bartender for easy drinks) 3) unbeatable location
Walk right out of Renaissance to the Sunday Avenida Paulista(closed for cars) and also enjoy the park nearby.

If you are visiting SP for the first time, dont even consider going all the way down to JW.
Thank you very much for your advice. I noticed that you did not mention the Sheraton. Is it because it is like a U.S. Sheraton?

It will be my 2nd visit to the city, but the 1st one was years ago and I was invited for business, so I had not picked up my hotel (I don't even remember which one it was).
Old Jul 30, 2022, 8:04 pm

As all advises are to avoid the JW, I booked my 2 first nights at the Renaissance. I don't know if I will book addt'l nights (maybe at the end of the trip), as I am considering the InterContinental (which does not seem to far from the Hilton, Grand Hyatt & Renaissance, in the Jardins district, near the Avenue Paulista). I'm still unsure about the Sheraton and the Rosewood, for different reasons.

https://www.ihg.com/intercontinental...ha/hoteldetail

Last edited by UASPG; Jul 31, 2022 at 8:34 pm
Old Aug 2, 2023, 1:52 pm

Programs: SQ *G | WS Gold | Bonvoy Titanium | Hilton Gold | Hyatt Globalist
relaxing stay at an upscale JW!

JW Marriott Sao Paulo

1 Review | 100% Recommended

JW Marriott Sao Paulo

Sao Paulo, BR

relaxing stay at an upscale JW! (15 Photos)

JW Marriott Sao Paulo

Intro: I was in Sao Paulo for the first time for 7 days for a combination of work and leisure. I stayed at the Renaissance for the first four days (combination of work and tourism) and then the JW for my final three days (all work), from Sunday to Wednesday.

Check In

Spoke with the hotel a day in advance to see if a suite upgrade would be available and was confirmed an upgrade to the Griffin suite if I came after 17:00, which was no problem for me. 

Check-in was very smooth. Eva was extremely friendly and the hotel manager came out to say welcome, asked what I wanted to drink (there was sparkling wine!), and brought me a cold and lemongrass-scented oshibori -- wet towel. Yes, he used the word oshibori! It was such a welcoming touch. 

Titanium welcome gift was either 1000 points or a combination of drinks and snacks. I got the local snack (chocolate fudge balls) and a coconut juice, which was in a fresh pitcher (rather than the bottled one I got at the Renaissance). 

Room

The Griffin suite was very large, at 800+ sqft (75+ sqm). I like how it had an entrance foyer and a huge walk-in closet. It also had a free-standing bathtub and a very comforatble bed. IMG_1539.jpeg

This was the living room (on the last day, after I messed it up quite a lot). 

IMG_1565.jpeg

The welcome gift was delivered super on-time, at 19:00, as I requested. 

1_IMG_1448.jpegIMG_1460.jpeg

There were two tables for working and they were both quite comfortable.

Service

Everything I asked for through the app or through the phone was brought up within a few minutes. When my food delivery got lost, the staff all helped me try to locate it. Eva, especially, was super friendly and helpful during check-in and check-out!

Dining

There's breakfast at the lounge, but it's a smaller selection (continental) compared to downstairs at the restaurant. There's a huge selection of pastries (reminds me of St Regis) and fruits, along with an a-la-carte menu that you can order as much as you want from. It was all quite delicious and fast. 

IMG_1518.jpegIMG_1519.jpegIMG_1521.jpegIMG_1522.jpegIMG_1523.jpeg

There was a very nice outdoor patio that nobody wanted to sit at!

I never tried the Italian restaurant, but heard lots of great things about it too. 

Please don't stay here if it's your first visit to Sao Paulo. It's far from all the attractions and the area felt a bit sketchy to walk around at night. Please consider staying at the Renaissance. It will take at least 30-45 minutes to get to Jardins, for example, during rush hour. 

During the day, I walked to the mall right next door (parque da cidade) and to WT Morumbi + Morumbi mall. Uber seems to have a hard time pinning the exact location of the hotel; all my Uber drivers and food delivery drivers did not know how to get to the lobby. 

For my work purposes, this was the perfect spot. It was close to all the offices I needed to visit in Morumbi and it was a quiet area at night for me to unwind.

Perhaps because of the location, I never really saw many people in the hotel. I've seen no more than two other groups of people at the lounge, maybe 5 groups of people at breakfast, and 1 other person at the gym. This made me feel very relaxed. 

You can hear the trains at night; if you're a light sleeper, ask for a room that faces away from the trains.

Gym

I love a hotel with a nice gym. This was a hotel with a nice gym. It had a (fixed inclined) bench with proper plates as well as lots of equipment. IMG_1456.jpeg

It's got a huge empty space in the back as well for yoga, pilates, jumprope, etc. 

I loved the attentino to detail. Every machine had a perfectly rolled towel and a bottle of water on it. IMG_1455.jpeg

There were also some shared headphones / AirPods, which was a bit quesitonable. 

IMG_1454.jpeg

Amenities

Lounge: 

I really liked the lounge compared to the Renaissance. It's on the 12th floor and compact but very well decorated and maintained. It was also open all day, from 06h -- 00h. There's always (non-alcoholic) drinks and some snacks, as well as coffee and tea. IMG_1540.jpeg

Housekeeping

My room was cleaned every day and my pajamas were foled properly. The AC had heating, which is super important for me since I run cold and need to sleep in a warm room. There was turn-down service every day with chocolates and water. One of the nights, they brought me a jar of lemongrass-scented bath salts :) The slippers are super plushy; they reminded me of the ones on Lufthansa. 

Flights

The hotel is an 1.5 - 2 hour drive to GRU during rush hours. Please plan accordingly. 

Overall

One way I'd describe how I felt during my stay here was relaxed. It felt like a beacon of peace in this huge bustling city, and I really looked forward to coming back every day. 

I've stayed at a few of the "top-rated JWs" around the world (YVR, SIN, IST, CUS, LIM, YEG, etc) and I thought this was one of the best. The decor was gorgeous, likely because it used to be a Four Seasons. 6ECC8A37-EFA0-49B1-8D95-9537AEF9E4B4.jpgIMG_1458.jpeg

I would absolutely come back to this hotel if I was back for business and did not need to visit the city. The hotel is beautifully designed, the service was friendly, and rooms were big and comforting. 

I would not stay here if I was visitng the city for the first time and / or had to commute to the city every day. 

relaxing stay at an upscale JW!

Would you like to write a review on the JW Marriott Sao Paulo?

No, thank you.
Yes
reggiekush likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 7:45 am

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Titanium
Planning for a trip in Fall 2024 -- this will be our first visit to Sao Paulo. Looks like Renaissance might be a better choice here?
Old Mar 9, 2024, 10:52 am

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by metalblaze
Planning for a trip in Fall 2024 -- this will be our first visit to Sao Paulo. Looks like Renaissance might be a better choice here?
Having stayed at both in suites only, recently in JW SP at JW suite, I recommend Renaissance for all the tourists. Cannot beat the central location. My personal preference is JW.

Last edited by Jaenks; Mar 9, 2024 at 1:42 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.