Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Absecon, NJ. Marriott Seaview Resort

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Absecon, NJ. Marriott Seaview Resort

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2008, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by mtmeara
I tend to agree w/sapguy. I stayed there with my family during a weekend this past January. While it is historic, the hotel facility was less than stellar. This probably was a nice resort in its day, but it is apparently at the beginning of a much-needed makeover. The room was very dated, musty, bathroom fixtures old, paint peeling from the ceiling and patchy paint.

The rec room in the basement was also in a similar state. While they advertised 2 flat screen TV's, one was visibly missing other than a mounting bracket on the wall. Two pool tables, but only 4 functioning cues, shuffleboard pucks that were rusted and barely could make to the end of the board due to lack of sand. The indoor pool also had very visible mineral deposits across the blue tiled lining and many of the safety support bars were missing screws. Food in the restaurant was OK, but the service was poor.

In my opinion, the AAA 3-star rating was appropriate, but the property doesn't quite live up to what I would expect from a Marriott 5-star property. On the latter, I think the Marriott star rating is more based upon room rate rather than quality. The golf course is probably nice, but I would not take my family there again. I have also stayed at the Sheraton AC and would much prefer staying there unless the Marriott Seaview gets its act together.
Thank you for your fair and balanced review, and for agreeing with me

My room at Seaview was not as bad as yours, as it has probably been recently refurbished.

Completely agree with you that the Marriott rating must be based on price!

But, as you saw from my earlier post, they are booked SOLID until December with various corporate groups, so it does not really give them any incentive to shape up.

Next time, it will be the Sheraton AC for both you and me
Old Apr 23, 2008, 1:38 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K
I practically live at this hotel! It's OK, but not outstanding. There are nice grounds / trails for walking, the golf course is pretty good. The Vacation club next door has a better workout room. Both are hard to get into this time of year. It is an old property, the rooms are ok. Don't expect an upgrade, and even then it may not meet your expectations. They have a few >huge< suites that I have stumbled into a few times. There is a pub across the street that you can walk to, food is OK there. You may get in the Vacation club / or hotel on a special if you want to take the time share tour, they hold back rooms to accomodate those. Its a grand old place with some history, I would have no problem saying go for it!
Old Aug 13, 2008, 10:31 am

Programs: UA PP/Marriott Platinum Elite/Hyatt Diamond/Avis Preferred/Hertz Presidential
Is CL open on Weekends?

Does anyone know if the CL is open on weekends there?

I am staying there this Sat night and would like some bottle water. Fingers crossed I get a room upgrade.

50,000 points for the night, WOW.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 8:52 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Originally Posted by y2k1jetta
Does anyone know if the CL is open on weekends there?

I am staying there this Sat night and would like some bottle water. Fingers crossed I get a room upgrade.

50,000 points for the night, WOW.
listed as a resort, dont count on it
Old Aug 16, 2008, 2:03 pm

Well, considering that the resort doesn't even have a concierge lounge, I guess the answer to that question would be "no." ;-)
Old Aug 17, 2008, 9:56 am

Programs: Delta-Platinum; Marriott-Platinum; PC - Gold
Originally Posted by y2k1jetta
How was your stay, I will be stayng there on Thursday and would like to know.

Did you get upgraded?

Last edited by bryice; Aug 17, 2008 at 9:56 am Reason: typo
Old Aug 17, 2008, 10:25 am

I've stayed there twice and quite enjoyed the experience. The appeal for this place is the historic nature of the hotel. Like a grand old dame, it's not particularly beautiful, but stately. Although the hallways are carpeted, you can still hear the squeaks of the wooden flooring below. The lobby is my favorite spot. They have huge overstuffed leather wingback chairs in which to relax. In the winter months, a real fire (with wood, not one of those gas abominations) burns in the lobby hearth. The swimming pool reminds me of something out of a movie about the Poconos for some reason. It just has such a 1930's feel about it.

Given the large number of rooms in the property, I was surprised to get the same room twice. It was large, well appointed and had a fabulous bathroom with large tub and adjacent shower (not to mention two separate sinks). The most interesting feature was a closet that was barely smaller than my college dorm. I moved a chair into the closet and just sat there in amazement. That one closet could hold more than the four closets in my home.

The Sunday brunch is very good. It's one of the few Marriotts that provide hot syrup and real whipped cream for the waffles. The dining room room is circular and looks out across the grounds an on to the golf course and coast.

On a scale of one to ten I'd score the place a B, maybe a B+ if you're a golfer.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 7:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
I've stayed once and was upgraded to a corner-type mini-suite with a HUGE well-apportioned bathroom.

Overall a ^ here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.