Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

What constitutes a 'Full Service' hotel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2013, 2:23 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines
Original Poster

At the FS Marriott where I stay during the week, the restaurant has been closed during the evenings for the last few weeks. I've never actually used it, so I can't complain too much.

However, they have now re branded the restaurant, and it now serves Indian food (which I love). They had a grand opening last week.

I arrived today at 8pm after working all day, and found the restaurant closed...

Do FS hotels have to have a certain level facilities? I would expect a restaurant to be a prerequisite.

There is a bar, but the food is generally overpriced and poor quality.

Cheers
Old Feb 24, 2013, 4:59 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Although others would likely know more specifics, don't FS hotels have to offer room service for certain hours during the day? Did the hotel have RS even though the restaurant was closed?
Old Feb 25, 2013, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
At the FS Marriott where I stay during the week, the restaurant has been closed during the evenings for the last few weeks. I've never actually used it, so I can't complain too much.

However, they have now re branded the restaurant, and it now serves Indian food (which I love). They had a grand opening last week.

I arrived today at 8pm after working all day, and found the restaurant closed...

Do FS hotels have to have a certain level facilities? I would expect a restaurant to be a prerequisite.

Cheers
There are set hours a hotel must have their outlets open....I would send a nice note to the GM letting him/her know of your disappointment
Old Feb 25, 2013, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CJKatl
Although others would likely know more specifics, don't FS hotels have to offer room service for certain hours during the day? Did the hotel have RS even though the restaurant was closed?
Yes, room service was available, as was the bar food. I'd set my heart on something spicy
Old Feb 25, 2013, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA-LEP,United-1K Again!, USAIR-CHRMN, MW Plat Prem, SW-Gold, Hilton-Silver, Hertz-Platnium
I've stayed at FS properties that had only a pub and room service (Ypsilanti) so I am guessing that meets the requirements of FS
Old Feb 26, 2013, 4:19 am

Yes, room service was available, as was the bar food. I'd set my heart on something spicy
Something spicy though room service, or was he/she sitting at the bar?
Old Feb 26, 2013, 4:57 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold

Which Marriott are you talking about?
Old Feb 26, 2013, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Spicy Full Service? I was at one property and upon entering my room, a "lady" tried following me in! This was NOT requested nor desired. I think that was carrying FS too far!
Old Feb 26, 2013, 8:14 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Spicy Full Service? I was at one property and upon entering my room, a "lady" tried following me in! This was NOT requested nor desired. I think that was carrying FS too far!
LOL. a new definition for "full service"
Old Feb 26, 2013, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
That happened to me at the Newark Airport FS. It was two of them. They offered to stop by my room after they were done in the other room. I've never held my key envelope closed with such force, to be sure they didn't actually see my room number.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by CJKatl
That happened to me at the Newark Airport FS. It was two of them. They offered to stop by my room after they were done in the other room. I've never held my key envelope closed with such force, to be sure they didn't actually see my room number.
So that is why they were in a hurry to leave me? LOL
Old Feb 27, 2013, 1:10 pm

Programs: LTP, PP

Cheers
More than likely it all comes out of the same kitchen and is going to be the same quality (good or lack there of). Did you see if the dishes were available on Room Service? Often they are, in my experiences, at a buck or two more PLUS the delivery charge nonsense...
Old Feb 27, 2013, 2:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by joshua362
More than likely it all comes out of the same kitchen and is going to be the same quality (good or lack there of). Did you see if the dishes were available on Room Service? Often they are, in my experiences, at a buck or two more PLUS the delivery charge nonsense...
I was just at a property that the restaurant kitchen is different than the room service kitchen. I don't know if that's the norm or the exception.

I wouldn't be happy if a hotel restaurant was closed at 8pm either. Even the small town I now live in the restaurants are open until 9pm

Cheers.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joshua362
It's now a completely different menu. One is all Indian 'street food', the other the typical Marriott bugger, club sandwich etc. They probably still come from the same kitchen though

Is interesting that the new restaurant doesn't seem to be being advertised in the hotel. I'd at least expect a flyer in the room, as there are no signs from the outside that it has changed. I may give it a go tomorrow, if I can drag myself away from the lounge.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, you're the one who used the FS term here (to classify the hotel you're talking about), so why don't you define it?

"FS Marriott" is a term I see here frequently in this forum, but I never see it on marriott.com. I don't think it's defined by Marriott itself, I think it's just a classification that FTers (or perhaps a wider range of the traveling audience) have come up with.

My impression is it's brands, not specific hotels, that are classified as "full service", and it depends on a list of amenities. It doesn't depend on whether those amenities are good or bad, or on whether they're available 24 hours or only certain hours or whether they're available 7 days a week or only 5; it depends on whether they're listed or not. I'm not quite sure which amenties those are (I assume a restaurant that goes beyond breakfast is one, maybe a gift shop?, etc). It's more that I can "tell an FS brand when I see one".
The Marriott brand is FS to me in the Marriott family, like Crowne Plaza is in the Priority Club family, like Hilton is in the HHonors family, and Shertaon is in the SPG family. (That's not to say that there''s necessarily only one brand that's FS in each program; I'm listing an FS brand in each program.) Fairfield Inn and Springhill Suites and TownePlace Inn are definitely not considered FS brands.

But if Marriott itself doesn't define FS, then you can't hold them to a particular standard of FS! What Marriott does define is what each of their brands should have, and you can hold them to the standard that they define and publish for each brand.

And btw don't confuse "FS" with a level of quality. It has nothing to do with that. It is a set of amenities/hotel features, and the quality at which they're implemented is a completely separate metric. I've seen plenty of cases where an area has an "FS" hotel that stinks and a breakfast-only miscale hotel (in the same family) that's wonderful nearby.

Last edited by sdsearch; Feb 27, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.