Search

Concierge Lounge rule?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2009, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat, US Dirt
Concierge Lounge rule?

Hi everyone:

I just got off the phone with one of my favorite Concierge Lounge attendants (im not the only guest who keeps in touch with her, she is that good!) and she told me that a fight occurred in the lounge this evening because this group of men had started up a business meeting in the lounge. One woman walked in and was annoyed by all the loud ruckous as this group turned off the TV that was in the lounge. So this begs the question: Does Marriott have a policy that GROUP meetings are not allowed during normal operating hours of the lounge or is it just a courtesy that all guest should follow and take a meeting elsewhere?
Old Feb 17, 2009, 6:00 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat,SW, Hertz #1 Gold, Amtrak SP, jetBlue, et al
Originally Posted by USFreak
Hi everyone:

I just got off the phone with one of my favorite Concierge Lounge attendants (im not the only guest who keeps in touch with her, she is that good!) and she told me that a fight occurred in the lounge this evening because this group of men had started up a business meeting in the lounge. One woman walked in and was annoyed by all the loud ruckous as this group turned off the TV that was in the lounge. So this begs the question: Does Marriott have a policy that GROUP meetings are not allowed during normal operating hours of the lounge or is it just a courtesy that all guest should follow and take a meeting elsewhere?
not sure about any policy, but in my not-so-humble opinion...if you want to have a meeting in the CL, then book a small meeting room and pay for that and the stuff you want....or hold the meeting in beween operating hours....

one would THINK people have common courtesy, the lounge isn't just for megtravels and her colleagues, but for all those paying for CL rooms, and those who are entitled to use it. what did the concierge do??? i don't think this ever happened when i was an associate, but if it did, it was only 2-3 people, they were quiet and didn't cause a commotion!
Old Feb 17, 2009, 6:18 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by megtravels
what did the concierge do???
That was my first thought. What did the concierge say she did about it, and what did she say was Marriott's policy? If she didn't say, then call her back and ask as she would be a much better person to answer your question IMO. Oh and please share with us what she says. Thx

Last edited by aaupgrade; Feb 17, 2009 at 6:29 pm
Old Feb 17, 2009, 6:27 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
A CL host I spoke with recently told me that a meeting of 10 people was being held, and when she approached the group; found out only one person was even staying in the hotel! She couldn't believe it...and to give her credit, went and got a manager - who, as megtravels suggests, told the guest he would have to pay a "fee" for the access/food provided to those who were not guests.

Ranks right up there with cell phone users, guests visiting the lounge in their pajama's, unruly children, and those who bring a tote to load up on soda, water, and fruit.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1P, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat, US Dirt
Let me throw this out here: This hotel is really behind the game in overall appearance and this includes the management team so I wasn't surprised when she told me this:

Gave her a ring back and she called the manager on duty and explained the situation. She was wanting permission to ask them to leave and utilize the lobby sitting areas and the manager did not agree with the concierge's suggestion. She returned to tell the woman who was annoyed by all of this and the woman promptly asked to speak to the manager. The manager came up to the lounge and upon his arrival the woman had managed to wedge herself in the middle of this group and got the TV remote and turned the TV on and jacked up the volume^^^
The manager was so taken aback that he profusely apologized to the group meeting people and moved them to a banquet room where tables were already set up and all that was well with the world returned to this lounge.
While the manager seemed to go the extra mile, he really didn't do much to remind the guests in the meeting that as a courtesy, the lounge shouldn't be used for the purpose they had intended.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 7:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I'll start by saying I've never had a meeting in a CL; never invited more than one person not in my room to the CL; and never (to the best of my recollection) brought a non guest to the CL

on that note>

Hi everyone:

My first comment was if she was such a good friend, why don't you get it right from the horses mouth? I mean you could have this conversation with her and not ask the question to her

Originally Posted by sophiegirl
A CL host I spoke with recently told me that a meeting of 10 people was being held, and when she approached the group; found out only one person was even staying in the hotel! She couldn't believe it...and to give her credit, went and got a manager - who, as megtravels suggests, told the guest he would have to pay a "fee" for the access/food provided to those who were not guests.

Ranks right up there with cell phone users, guests visiting the lounge in their pajama's, unruly children, and those who bring a tote to load up on soda, water, and fruit.
Sounds like to me that everyone annoys you; I am curious as to how you people have these conversations with CL staff (not just this poster but posters in gen'l) about incidents that are not occuring while you are there? just curious thats all.

lets see lets go through your list >

cell phone users > good luck with that one.. its not likely that cell phones will be banned in CL's.. otoh, they may just shut the lounge down

pajamas > sheesh.. really.. that bothers you.. *shaking my head* > I could care less what others are wearing > I'm not there to look at them anyway > you would hate me > i just went to the Sheraton CL in my sweats to grab a drink and desert.. how dare I

unruly kids > I can see unruly kids being a PITA but then again, I am not sure that we have the same tolerance or definition of unruly kids > I notice you dont say anything about adults who are just as obnoxious

the tote > again, if there is stuff left for me, I don't care what you take back to your room; why should I? once again, I'm not there to see what you are doing and if you want to bring it back to eat in your room, its none of my business.. if its a problem, the CL staff should address it.. if they don't and this still bothers you, there are other methods to file your complaint

Let me throw this out here: This hotel is really behind the game in overall appearance and this includes the management team so I wasn't surprised when she told me this:

Gave her a ring back and she called the manager on duty and explained the situation. She was wanting permission to ask them to leave and utilize the lobby sitting areas and the manager did not agree with the concierge's suggestion. She returned to tell the woman who was annoyed by all of this and the woman promptly asked to speak to the manager. The manager came up to the lounge and upon his arrival the woman had managed to wedge herself in the middle of this group and got the TV remote and turned the TV on and jacked up the volume^^^
The manager was so taken aback that he profusely apologized to the group meeting people and moved them to a banquet room where tables were already set up and all that was well with the world returned to this lounge.
While the manager seemed to go the extra mile, he really didn't do much to remind the guests in the meeting that as a courtesy, the lounge shouldn't be used for the purpose they had intended.

So you are advocating throwing gas on the fire... this type of behaviour usually results in one type of result and that usually is not a good scene; sounds like the woman was as bad as the group of biz travelers.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Hi everyone:

So was it a "business meeting" or a "ruckous" [sic]?

It sounds like it was more a loud group of friends chatting about work that got on her nerves rather than an actual business meeting.

I was at a bar tonight. I was trying to have a conversation with a friend and there was a loud group of folks nearby so I had a hard time hearing him. It was a public place so I got over it...
Old Feb 17, 2009, 7:58 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, AA EXP, Hertz Prez Circle
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse

pajamas > sheesh.. really.. that bothers you.. *shaking my head* > I could care less what others are wearing > I'm not there to look at them anyway > you would hate me > i just went to the Sheraton CL in my sweats to grab a drink and desert.. how dare I
PJ's, I don't have a problem with. Same goes for sweats or someone coming in after the gym to grab water. But some people take it too far and feel like it's their home. Like the old guy at the Sheraton CL who walks in without any shoes or socks with ridiculously long toe nails. . . I think the "shirt, shoes" rule should at least apply.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 9:02 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
I just returned from a stay at the SAT Northwest Marriott. On _every_ table in the CL was a card that stated "Concierge Lounge Etiquette". Among the rules: No business meetings, limit cell phone use and no atheletic wear. Sounds like they have encountered some rowdy crowds.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 9:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP,MR PP,Hyatt Diam, SPG Plat,PC Plat, HH Gold, National EE
Ditto

Originally Posted by sziv50
PJ's, I don't have a problem with. Same goes for sweats or someone coming in after the gym to grab water. But some people take it too far and feel like it's their home. Like the old guy at the Sheraton CL who walks in without any shoes or socks with ridiculously long toe nails. . . I think the "shirt, shoes" rule should at least apply.
What he said.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 9:39 pm

Programs: delta,southwest--companion pass,hilton---diamond,marriott---gold,choice
cl manners

i will second the thought about the cell phone, i have a cell phone, but i do not use it in a lounge, and i do not use it on the plane, or at the movies, or while having dinner, this just annoys the heck out of me. why can't someone go 1 hour without the phone, and why do i have to be subject to their conversations?

if cell phone usage is allowed while planes are flying, i think that there will be major,major arguments onboard the planes.

and in an enclosed place, such as a bus, room where having dinner, etc..,etc.., why does one need to have the cell phone on?
Old Feb 17, 2009, 9:50 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, UA 1K, DL Gold, AA EXP
A couple weeks ago in DFW a very nice gentleman who had very obviously finished running 20+ miles came in and sat down for a drink and dessert in the lounge.

It was gross. At least change clothes, man...
Old Feb 17, 2009, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
So, did this woman not have her own room she could watch TV in?

I dunno. Just seems like some people look for things to complain about.

As a woman who travels solo for business frequently, I have NO desire to hang out in the CL. I go in, grab some waters and snacks, and retire to my room.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 4:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by sziv50
I agree here, I mean, the health code should apply somewhere LOL.. no shoes, no shirt, no service.. I'm not sure why the long toe nails are an issue any more than someone who just got a pedicure but the overall point stands.. if you can't meet the healthcode requirements you don't belong where there is food

Originally Posted by kctigers
i will second the thought about the cell phone, i have a cell phone, but i do not use it in a lounge, and i do not use it on the plane, or at the movies, or while having dinner, this just annoys the heck out of me. why can't someone go 1 hour without the phone, and why do i have to be subject to their conversations?

if cell phone usage is allowed while planes are flying, i think that there will be major,major arguments onboard the planes.

and in an enclosed place, such as a bus, room where having dinner, etc..,etc.., why does one need to have the cell phone on?
its not the cell phone conversations that bother me, its those that think everyone should hear how important they are; if you chat in a normal voice, its no different than two people talking together and it doesn't bother me (cell); you can't always control when someone calls you; most people are courteous on their phones in the CL's I go to..

speaking of.. time to head up to the CL now for b/f.. in my sweats, but i'll have shoes on to cover the long toe nails
Old Feb 18, 2009, 6:14 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I agree here, I mean, the health code should apply somewhere LOL.. no shoes, no shirt, no service.. I'm not sure why the long toe nails are an issue any more than someone who just got a pedicure but the overall point stands.. if you can't meet the healthcode requirements you don't belong where there is food

its not the cell phone conversations that bother me, its those that think everyone should hear how important they are; if you chat in a normal voice, its no different than two people talking together and it doesn't bother me (cell); you can't always control when someone calls you; most people are courteous on their phones in the CL's I go to..

speaking of.. time to head up to the CL now for b/f.. in my sweats, but i'll have shoes on to cover the long toe nails
Agreed and agreed.

Maybe I'm showing my age, but I'm not quite sure when it became acceptable to show nasty, hairy toes in public. Recently, a 40+YO man sat down next to me on a plane, slipped his flip-flop off, and had a field day picking his toes for the duration of the flight. (I'm 40+YO man and couldn't imagine subjecting anyone to this.) The flight attendant kept staring at his feet every time he walked by, but my seatmate didn't have a clue that this was gross.

As for cell phones - I'm not sure why people don't walk to a corner when they need to speak on a phone.

Finally, sweats/pjs in the lounge - case by case there. If your pajamas have an open fly and you're commando, stay in your room. Most of the people I've seen in sweats/pjs in the CL are more tastfully dressed than some of the people I've seen who stop quickly on their way out to a work appointment!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.