Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Four Points San Rafael, Ca - renovated in 2007 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four Points San Rafael, Ca - renovated in 2007 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2000 | 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Arrow Four Points San Rafael, Ca - renovated in 2007 [Master Thread]

My wife and I tried out the new 4Points in San Rafael on thursday and friday. We had made the reservation through the platinum desk, and my wonderful new concierge said that she called the hotel and asked them to give us 1 of the 3 suites they have. But we checked in to find we had been put in what must have been the worst room in the house! A handicapped room on the ground floor with windows facing a brick wall. Room was tiny, AC was extremely loud and dysfunctional, no amenity, etc. I lived in a wheelchair myself for more than a year and wish that hotels would not give their worst rooms to the handicapped! Really pisses me off...

Anyway, In the morning I checked the local Hiltons to see if I could avoid another night there, but no such luck. So I asked for a suite. Desk agent was evasive at best. First she said they didn't have any in the hotel. Then she said they sort of did (they do!) looked around, made noises, finally said there were none available. I settled for a room upstairs that was small but fine and had a decent view. Still no amenity, no apology, etc. I let my concierge know I was going to post this here, and that I knew that this hotel was new to Starwood, etc. She said she wasn't buying that excuse--she'd talked to them, and they screwed up. Time to face the music. This could be an OK property, although the upgrade possibilities are limited by the fact of having only 3 suites. It was a bit cheaper than the nearby Embassy Suites but not as nice. next time, the Embassy, or the Villa a nice inexpensive non-chain property.
Old Mar 26, 2002 | 1:15 pm

Was there for one night last August. Typical 4points, no upgrade as plat (probably all rooms are same). Did get complimentary full breakfast (during weekday, not sure about weekend) for all 3 rooms (6 persons). Good value if only $59.
Old Mar 26, 2002 | 1:45 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

It's nothing fancy. If you can get the weekend rate of $59 that's not bad. I pay any where from $109 to $149 during the week when I stay there for business. Try and get an inside room though. It's right off the hwy and can be noisy on the side facing the hwy. There is a pool and small bar/restaurant but I think all rooms are basically the same.
Old Mar 26, 2002 | 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Countries Visited3M20 Years on Site

Programs: Jumbo mas
Well, I'm here. Its ok. Room is standard but fine. The platinum amenity (not offered, but I asked) was a choice of 250 points or 250 points. There was also a choice of 250 points. Oh did I mention, there was also an additional choice of 250 points. Breakfast was not offered, but I wouldn't have expected it but for the above-post. Its definitely worth $59. I have a weekday $99 rate which is acceptable. Its better than the Emeryville Four Points.
Old Jul 7, 2004 | 1:01 pm
Suspended

Question Four Points San Rafael, Ca - renovated in 2007 [Master Thread]

I plan on staying at this hotel for only 1 night -- a Saturday night in the Summer after going to an event in Geyserville which ends at 4:00 PM. Yahoo forecasts an 1 hour drive back, but I think that I should budget 1 1/2 at the very least. Correct? Also, may detour back via coast road and Bodega Bay --is this a good idea for nice coastal scenery, etc?

I am aware that this property comes up on PLN for approx. $50, but I have read that the rooms are inferior on the "PLN floor."

I am SPG Gold and have booked a AAA promo rate for $95 including breakfast for 2 in a "Deluxe" King N/S Room. So, the true difference between PLN and the hotel rate -- assuming $20 for breakfast for 2 is only approx. $25.

Will also be getting 1,000 AA bonus miles in the transaction via SPG website booking.

Is it worth the price I plan on paying, and if so, where should I request the room face, and on what floor? Also, are suite U/G's out of the question?

How are the hotel's other facilities like the pool and gym?

How is the breakfast buffet -- I assume -- and the proximity of the hotel to recommended dining for Saturday evening in nearby towns? Suggestions, please?

Thank you very much!
Old Jul 7, 2004 | 1:33 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Personally, I think the chances of a Gold member getting a complimentary suite upgrade are astronomical no matter what Starwood property it is, but there are Gold members out there they say it happens.

The rest I leave for your peers.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Jul 7, 2004 | 9:04 pm
20 Years on Site

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH Senator, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Well, I cannot believe I am going to say this b/c I like Starwood SOOOOOOO much better than Hilton (as you know, NJUPINTHEAIR!) but in my home county, I would choose the Embassy Suites about 1/4 mile to the East of here.

The Sheraton is very so so. The rooms aren't that bad - at least the ones they've given me previously - but the breakfast I would not pay one penny for. Eat at Mama's Royal Cafe in downtown Mill Valley, Theresa and Johnny's on Fourth Street in San Rafael or even the Lark Creek Inn for Sunday brunch if you want to splurge, but not at the 4pts.
Old Jul 8, 2004 | 6:51 am
Suspended

Well based upon that unqualified show of support for this property, I have canceled my reservations there!
Old Jul 12, 2004 | 8:46 am

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Well based upon that unqualified show of support for this property, I have canceled my reservations there!
I was just there a couple days ago - and was told they don't have suites (only 2 room parlors that are billed as 2 rooms), so you wouldn't have been upgraded.

I didn't spend much time there, but didn't find it anything to be too excited about. Its primary benefits were the fact that it was a Starwood property, and across the street is a shopping center with a Jamba Juice It also was sold out one night due to a convention - and they charged their rack rate of $195 (I used points) which was way overpriced for what they offer.
Old Jul 23, 2004 | 6:19 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors, Marriott Silver
Well, you've scared me off too! Based on this thread and other reviews I've read, this is a hotel to avoid. I just cancelled my reservation for August...at $95 it wasn't a bargain....but I've heard folks have gotten Pline reservations for $40 or so. Going to the HI Express in Mill Valley instead....free with points. I'm really trying to give Starwood some business, but hotels like this and rates higher than Hilton and others are keeping me away!
Old Mar 13, 2005 | 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Four Points San Rafael - Where Complimentary HSIA Doesn't Exist

Checked in Saturday evening - the desk clerk pointed out clearly the telephone charges on the key folder, but I didn't think much of it, as I rarely pick up a hotel phone, and know that all U.S. Four Points have complimentary High Speed internet.

Getting to the room, turning the laptop on, and looking for the plug, or instruction card, etc., I found none, but thought "maybe its wireless". The only wireless signal was a secured one, probably from the next office building. I called the front desk, and learned that there is only dialup, and you pay for the calls. (Had I known this, I'd have at least searched for local dialup numbers prior to the stay).

To add insult to this, the hotel channel on the TV touts complimentary HSIA at all Four Points, all while you are sitting in a room with No Speed.

After the marketing blitz of Four Points for this particular service, there should be some huge bold red admonition on the webpage when viewing that hotel online.

When giving a polite complaint upon check-out, the friendly clerk just apologizes (she probably hears it several times a day) and also thinks it ridiculous that the hotel's own TV tells you about this wonderful service.

On the plus side, the hotel does give a comp weekend breakfast buffet to Platinums. (Simple, but fine).

The rooms appear a bit worn and unexceptional, but not worse than many "middle-America" Sheratons.

On an interesting note, the Vienna Boys Choir was staying there, for a local performance. They were mostly in the dining room during my breakfast and I have never been in a room of so many well behaved polite boys, ever. Even when passing them in elevators, etc., they were just so polite.

All in all, if I need a semi-local stay, I'd consider staying there again, but don't give it much more than a C+.
Old Mar 14, 2005 | 7:59 pm
aku

Programs: UA 1MM, Marr/SPG LT Plat, HH Gold, IC Amb, Hyatt Gold, Hertz 5*, BW LT Diam
Just missed you--I checked in at the Four Points San Rafael Friday night, part of my Starwood run for 10K. (I'm thinking about staying at eight different properties--with three visits at the same Westin, of course.) First time I've ever stayed at a Four Points, so I didn't know they were supposed to have HSIA. Breakfast buffet was a good way to start a Saturday, and the price was reasonable.

If you're looking for a place on Thursday nights, the Four Points Pleasanton has a AAA rate of $69.
Old May 28, 2005 | 11:04 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, AC Elite, Avis Prreferred Select
HSIA at San Rafael 4 pts

I regularily stay at the 4 points in San Rafael. They do in fact have high speed wireless internet in the guest rooms, it is free. You simply need to request the username/password from the front desk. I believe they actually had it turned on about a month ago(It was turned on during my last stay).
Old May 29, 2005 | 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I regularily stay at the 4 points in San Rafael. They do in fact have high speed wireless internet in the guest rooms, it is free. You simply need to request the username/password from the front desk. I believe they actually had it turned on about a month ago(It was turned on during my last stay).
We stayed at the San Rafael Four Points last month (April) and they had pretty good clocking hi-speed Wi-Fi throughout the property and in guestrooms. As the above poster mentions, they should give you a little business card type thing in your key jacket at check-in, with a unique username and password to get through the entry portal.
Old Feb 4, 2006 | 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The latest update from this POS hotel (that is, Palace Of SanRafael)

Checked in several hours after making reservation. Nothing ready (no big deal, this often provides for the clerk giving even a better room). Clerk assigns room and gives key. He tries to engage in smalltalk - fine. I finally told him I wanted the 250 Starpoint amenity. This is the first notice that he had of Platinum status. He didn't try to look for a better room (I didn't ask, but the place appeared nearly empty). He was about to send us on our way again. I then asked about breakfast (plats are given comp buffet at the property). He then made the coupons. Went to use the computer in the morning - had to call the desk for a login code.

All-in-all, ok-enough FourPoints fare, but I'd take a HGI anyday over this property. At least they now have HSIA, although the signal was sporadic for a bit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.