Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2024, 10:10 pm

Programs: AS, UA, Hilton, Marriot
Originally Posted by kiwibirdft
C3-C1 rt USD310-320
​​​​​Nice. I haven't been able to get it that low. For the one I have working, I am ~600
Sisyphus1carus likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2024, 4:47 pm

C1-C2 J rt USD 2046 works for the airline group doing a match rn
habaryu and WiSK like this.
Old Jul 27, 2024, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by wandertraveler
So how is that related to a trick? That's just normal decent fares.
Old Jul 30, 2024, 4:38 pm

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Originally Posted by BravoKilo
Sorry this is all beyond my limited intelligence
NOTE: Sorry, this ended up really long ! Please delete if its OTT !!

It is extremely baffling for a while.
I haven't been actively reading this thread (and previous ones) for a good few years now as life took over the little hobby I enjoyed figuring FDs out.
Some people do crioswords, some sodhuku, some chess....I enjoyed seeing how different combos affected different fares. It was fun. But it took me a long time to get even mildly good at it !!
Going back several years there were more clues , hints and tidbits dotted throughout the Trick It threads.
unfortunately a few years back unscrupulous folk started abusing the knowledge that people shared here by setting up businesses flogging the decrypted results of people's hard work. This had the obvious & reasonable result of previously open people dropping out of the thread and keeping the results of their hard work to themselves and also the helpful 'tutoring' of folk dropped off.
of course some people remained and have kept this thread & hobby going without retreating behind closed doors.
to those people I thank you as I intend to get back into this cheeky hobby.
Most of what I found along the way was never that amazing or very flyable (for me) with others far surpassing my price reductions.
But it was fun.
If you read through all of the old posts (and I really do mean that....I read an insane amount of pages & pages & pages of posts for hours a day for days on end !) then things will become clearer. Not clear as day but you will understand the process somewhat and it is then only with repeated trials and experimentation that you will discover more.
unfortunately we list a number of useful tools along the way which made it harder but perhaps new ones have sprung up in their stead.
I intend to give this a hobby another go, the intention to tax my mind. But if I find (or am lead sonewhat towards) absolute gems then I may even travel on some again.

If you find experimenting, exploring and challenging yourself to often complex puzzles then you will enjoy the chase. That will then bear fruit over time.
But if you don't enjoy the hard work to whittle down the numbers then you will not find much and will give up as it is hard work.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

My name is in recognition of what it is like to read through so many posts and slowly piece together a plan of attack to find great scenarios which lead to Tricking It !!

Stick with it and put In the hours and dedicated brainpower and you will start to see results.

I remember how excited I was to start finding my own FDs, even if they only knocked a few bucks off to start with.

Sorry if this is too long and waffle and shouldn't be here.

those people who helped me out years ago know who they are and my incredible gratitude.

I feel like I am basically starting from scratch again after so many years out of the hobby/game as so much has undoubtedly changed.

Here's to the challenge 🍻
Old Aug 1, 2024, 7:29 am

Programs: M&M, IHG
Originally Posted by wandertraveler
This was possible for approx. 350 USD in J some weeks ago. But did not last long.
Old Aug 1, 2024, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by SweetBerry
So how is that related to a trick? That's just normal decent fares.
It's a trick if the surcharges go away. It doesn't matter if its 8K to 5K or 3.5K to 2K. This is still very useful to many...
habaryu likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2024, 7:49 am

Just back in the game, so i don't know if it's a good deal...

C2-C2.5 89€ No Xfactor LCC ...

Edit: on blogs sorry

Last edited by fabsys; Aug 21, 2024 at 11:53 am
Old Aug 21, 2024, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by fabsys
Just back in the game, so i don't know if it's a good deal...

C2-C4 89€ No Xfactor LCC ...

Edit: on blogs sorry
which blog?

PM me please to avoid promoting the bad guys
Old Aug 21, 2024, 9:44 am

Programs: MileagePlus
Originally Posted by tarman121
which blog?

PM me please to avoid promoting the bad guys
Same question. What blogs are these?

PM me please as well to avoid promoting the bad guys
Old Sep 4, 2024, 7:07 am

Anyone have any luck with HU? Planning a trip for Oct/Nov, fares + fare rules are very amenable but no joy so far.
Old Sep 5, 2024, 9:07 pm

Programs: AS, UA, Hilton, Marriot
Originally Posted by nutsey
Anyone have any luck with HU? Planning a trip for Oct/Nov, fares + fare rules are very amenable but no joy so far.
I found similar terms for BR for the same time period but haven't been able to trim it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.