Atlanta to Rome Premium Award

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2024 | 4:13 pm
Original Poster
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products
20 Years on Site

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Atlanta to Rome Premium Award

Can I ask for some expert advice… I hate to say it but it has been 8 years since I travelled internationally.

I got a complimentary MSC cruise round trip from Bari, Italy.

I would love to surprise hubby with business/first class from Atlanta to Rome.

I have United miles and an abundance of Ultimate Rewardsni have saved up over the years.

I am not very familiar with international premium products.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to use my miles/points currency to make this happen?

Thank you!
Old Sep 9, 2024 | 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Dates of travel would help. Do you only want to fly into Rome, and not into Bari itself? Is MSC offering any special premium-cabin airfares to U.S. residents?

I note that the MSC Bari-Bari cruises are all on 3.5-4.0 star ships. That might be a little underwhelming after flying First Class across the Atlantic.
Old Sep 9, 2024 | 4:42 pm
Original Poster
20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by guv1976
Dates of travel would help. Do you only want to fly into Rome, and not into Bari itself? Is MSC offering any special premium-cabin airfares to U.S. residents?

I note that the MSC Bari-Bari cruises are all on 3.5-4.0 star ships. That might be a little underwhelming after flying First Class across the Atlantic.
My apologies… Yes, I know the ship is underwhelming but it has the right itinerary the hubby wanted… and it is his birthday. Plus we got the balcony cabin for free!

i was thinking Rome so we could have a few days before and after the cruise… also expected there would bee more options.

Have not gotten anything on cruise options for flights… hoping to use points/mikes.

Travel dates: approx Nay 17 - May 31
Old Sep 9, 2024 | 5:31 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.
10 Countries Visited2M20 Years on Site

Programs: HH & IHG Gold; Marriott & AA Perpetual Platinum
Originally Posted by wharvey
.... abundance of Ultimate Rewards
Which Chase card do you have? (Sapphire Reserve, Sapphire Preferred or INK Preferred)
Old Sep 9, 2024 | 5:58 pm
Original Poster
20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by mia
Which Chase card do you have? (Sapphire Reserve, Sapphire Preferred or INK Preferred)

Oops… Sapphire Reserve
Old Sep 9, 2024 | 6:07 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Sapphire Reserve means that your UR points are worth $0.015 when used to purchase airfare through the Chase portal. It appears that Delta is the only airline which flies nonstop ATL-FCO, but ithere will be codeshare tickets on their flights sold by other airlines. If you are willing to consider a connection you should be able to use a wide range of airlines. As a starting point I would price itineraries, and see if you have enough UR points to buy them.
Old Sep 9, 2024 | 6:20 pm
Original Poster
20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by mia
Sapphire Reserve means that your UR points are worth $0.015 when used to purchase airfare through the Chase portal. It appears that Delta is the only airline which flies nonstop ATL-FCO, but ithere will be codeshare tickets on their flights sold by other airlines. If you are willing to consider a connection you should be able to use a wide range of airlines. As a starting point I would price itineraries, and see if you have enough UR points to buy them.
over 600k UR points so paying will be easy.

was not sure if there is some partner transfer options I should look at… no expert on premium products
Old Sep 9, 2024 | 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's a whole new world out there:

These are the current roundtrip prices per person in Business Class using DL miles and AA miles.

Or, you could convert your UR points to BA Avios and redeem for two people in Business on your dates for this bargain redemption (note the cash component):

Old Sep 9, 2024 | 6:55 pm
Original Poster
20 Years on Site

I will have to keep looking for sweet spots… I am too frugal to pay that! ;-). Flyertalk taught me well.
roberto99 likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2024 | 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I will have to keep looking for sweet spots… I am too frugal to pay that! ;-). Flyertalk taught me well.
My suggestion is to start by searching for award space at united.com, since that's where you currently have a lot of miles. Search both roundtrip and one-way. And if you can fly into Rome and back from Bari -- or vice versa -- search that way too. Lufthansa, a United Star Alliance partner, has historically opened up Business Class award space to partner programs a week or two before departure date if they have seats they do not expect to sell for cash. So if you find something acceptable to book now, keep monitoring availability at united.com in case something better should turn up.
Old Sep 9, 2024 | 7:31 pm
Original Poster
20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by guv1976
My suggestion is to start by searching for award space at united.com, since that's where you currently have a lot of miles. Search both roundtrip and one-way. And if you can fly into Rome and back from Bari -- or vice versa -- search that way too. Lufthansa, a United Star Alliance partner, has historically opened up Business Class award space to partner programs a week or two before departure date if they have seats they do not expect to sell for cash. So if you find something acceptable to book now, keep monitoring availability at united.com in case something better should turn up.
‘Thank you!
Old Sep 10, 2024 | 5:00 am
30 Countries Visited3M20 Years on Site

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
UA has some award inventory around those dates on single connections in Business for 200K miles per PAX each way. That seems high to me. I'm used o finding 88K per person each way for TK, OS and LX in Business.

Do NOT book any connections with puny 55 minutes connection times!!! Also UA's Polaris Lounges at ORD, IAD, and EWR should be enjoyed for a couple hours!
Old Sep 10, 2024 | 7:40 am
mia

600,000 = $9,000 = $4,500/person. That will not be enough to purchase the DL nonstop flights, but you should be able to find business class connecting flights in that range, and that will give you a comparison point with UA awards.
Old Sep 10, 2024 | 10:55 am
20 Years on Site

Don't forget that leaving ATL you have TK and QR with nonstops to Istanbul and Doha where you might connect. Chase points transfer to Avios for QR if it makes sense.

ETA: And, you might consider (as I often do) doing business/first from the US and Prem Select or coach on return. I find a coach return from Europe tolerable enough.
Old Sep 10, 2024 | 1:42 pm

Also consider MXP if you are looking for savings. Train travel in Italy is easy, cheap, and very comfortable.
pbjag likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.