Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Where to buy new luggage in Manhattan?

Old Oct 15, 2007 | 4:31 pm
Original Poster
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

That's it really - I need a new rollaboard. Currently have a Samsonite but it's done nearly 6 years and is nearing the end of its life. All suggestions of stores gratefully received.
Old Oct 15, 2007 | 6:21 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
We have bought some stuff over the years at eastside luggage on 45th around Grand Central (think they have a shop in Grand Central too), they sometimes have great sale prices

http://www.eastsideluggageshop.com/eastside/

Not sure if their regular prices are any good or not.....
Old Oct 15, 2007 | 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Century 21

http://www.c21stores.com/
Old Oct 15, 2007 | 8:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
30 Countries Visited3M20 Years on Site

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I used to get stuff at Carnegie luggage on 6th. They would even deal on brands like Briggs and Riley. They, as many independents, have apparently been bought out, I think by Innovation Luggage. Innovation has the occassional sale, but doesnt wheel and deal like Carnegie used to do. On the other hand, they have stores all over Manhattan (and surrounding), great selection, fair if not discounted prices and significant inventory so you can find what you are looking for. They carry lots of brands from inexpensive stuff to Tumi and B&R.
Old Oct 15, 2007 | 8:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you're not looking to spend a lot of money, you can go to Syms. They carry Delsey pullmans. I saw them yesterday!
Old Oct 15, 2007 | 10:58 pm

The department stores are fine, especially if they are having one of their frequent sales. Bloomies has good selection. 59th and Lex.

If you are into the Tumi line, try their retail stores. There is one near Rock center (I think), and one in Soho (I know).

If you like the Victorinox.Swiss Army line, they have a really nice store in Soho (Prince St) very near Tumi.

For something slightly sportier, try Paragon on B'way and 18th.

The Century 21 suggestion is a good one, but the luggage inventory can fluctuate significantly. The prices usually are great though.
Old Oct 16, 2007 | 4:20 am
20 Years on Site

Programs: DL DM
I second Syms and Century21 and also suggest you check out Macy's. They have a pretty large selection and while full prices aren't so good, they seem to have sales every week that can be up to 65% off retail.

Also the big Filenes in Union Square is worth a look
Old Oct 16, 2007 | 4:55 am
15 Years on Site

Altman's Luggage on the Lower East Side (Orchard Street) may not be convenient, but you can order online or by phone and they do same day delivery in NYC.
www.altmanluggage.com

Last edited by KweezyFlyer; Oct 16, 2007 at 8:04 am
Old Oct 16, 2007 | 7:20 am

Lexington Luggage, 793 Lexington Ave (61st & 62nd) 212-223-0698. Good service, good prices and they deliver.
Old Oct 16, 2007 | 8:17 am
20 Years on Site

If you don't mind paying retail, Innovation Luggage has stores all over the city and a good selection of Tumi, Briggs and the like.

If you want something more mid-range (say, Samsonite), there are a couple stores on Broadway in the low-30's that tend to have good deals and good selection. Try Porox at Broadway and 31st, for example, and its neighbors. You can also get Samsonite, Victorinox and the "designer" brands (which I'm not a fan of) at the big department stores. Macy's is right up the street from Porox and friends.

And of course I'll repeat the excellent luggage advice I personally received elsewhere on FT: the best value in rollaboards is the Costco "Kirkland" (house brand) rollaboard. They're roughly $100 (or at least they were when I bought mine) and extremely good quality, and Costco's return policy is amazing. Unfortunately, however, there's no Costco in Manhattan.
Old Oct 16, 2007 | 8:39 am

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
Why not go online? No tax (usually), free delivery so you don't have to haul it home.
Old Oct 16, 2007 | 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by adamak
Why not go online? No tax (usually), free delivery so you don't have to haul it home.
UK credit card and billing address. Thanks for all the suggestions upthread. I'll be sure to check many of them out and report back.
Old Oct 16, 2007 | 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by themicah
And of course I'll repeat the excellent luggage advice I personally received elsewhere on FT: the best value in rollaboards is the Costco "Kirkland" (house brand) rollaboard. They're roughly $100 (or at least they were when I bought mine) and extremely good quality, and Costco's return policy is amazing.
I was in Costco the other day and saw they updated the 22" bags to a "zipperless" expansion design. The price went up to $114 and on the whole, it didn't look as good as the old model (zippers, reduced skid plates, name tag holder). Supposedly the wheels are improved.
Old Oct 19, 2007 | 11:47 am
Original Poster

Eastside Luggage turned out great. Bought a Briggs & Riley 20" expandable carry-on which everyone seems to sell at $339 + tax and we ended up at $262 + tax. Thank you all.
Old Oct 19, 2007 | 12:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Diamond; Hilton Gold; OnePass; SkyMiles
Thumbs up All the best brands & great service!

Originally Posted by Wingnut
That's it really - I need a new rollaboard. Currently have a Samsonite but it's done nearly 6 years and is nearing the end of its life. All suggestions of stores gratefully received.

T. Anthony; look no further.

Last edited by mdusry; Oct 19, 2007 at 12:02 pm Reason: omitted message

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.