Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Non-hotel Lodging Services including Airbnb and VRBO
Reload this Page >

What would you do when you the hosts sends you this message?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2024, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

"Thanks for booking your stay at our home - we look forward to hosting you

Before providing check-in instructions, we require you to complete our guest pre-arrival requirements.

1. Provide a security deposit
2. Verify your identity
3. Sign our rental agreement

You can fill in all the information securely here: (link to third party website)"

I have 3 options here:
1. Report to AirBNB as this appears to be a violation
2. Ask the host to cancel the booking and then I'll book it directly with him through that link if it's cheaper but then I don't get any protection from AirBNB (which I'm OK with)
3. Respond to the host and tell him that we are not signing anything
4. Show up and risk the host not letting me in until I sign this

Bear in mind none of this was disclosed to me before I booked the place so I'm scratching my head here.
Old Jun 18, 2024, 7:02 pm

Programs: BA, QF, DL, A3, IHG
How long is the stay and which geo? Obviously shady host that I wouldn't be too keen on staying with. Any reason you're chosing this property in particular?
Old Jun 18, 2024, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

2 weeks in UK. The problem is there aren't really any alternatives nearby that are suitable.
Old Jun 18, 2024, 7:28 pm

Programs: BA, QF, DL, A3, IHG
Hmm, I think that I would challenge them given that AirBnB should already cover the three things they are requesting

1. Provide a security deposit (already a card on file for cleaning/damage)
2. Verify your identity (already a requirement to book accomodation with AirBnB, right?)
3. Sign our rental agreement (this is just silly, you're making a contractual agreement when booking the accomodation)

Maybe some local/UK gov't requirement, but I don't think so.
Old Jun 25, 2024, 5:54 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
I don’t know about UK specifically about identity

I’m wondering if they’re asking for a security deposit over Airbnb channels or separately? I know in the US some upscale places require a security deposit but it’s listed in the actual listing when you book. If they’re asking for it separately that’s totally against Airbnb regulations

Many people have reported that Airbnb in the UK is a cluster mess so this might be some of the reasons why.
Old Aug 3, 2024, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis P+
As a host and owner of multiple short term rental properties, and have been hosting before Airbnb was a thing and renting STR’s (vacation rentals) long before VRBO or Airbnb were even a thing………
all of these are actually allowed and more and more hosts are becoming aware how vital it is to require such.

1. If the host is listed on Airbnb thru a channel manager like OwnerRez or others, we can require a security deposit that we collect outside of Airbnb. A few years ago we could require one even without being with a channel manager. Also, property management companies can require such even without a channel manager. With it being a third party site, sounds like they do have a channel manager.
2. YES! I most definitely require a copy of the renters ID. Credit card fraud is a big thing! No, Airbnb does not verify anything, not for all accounts. On our end, you can have your user account “name” that we see as “Mickey Mouse” or “FU” or anything you want, it does not have to be your legal name. If something happens and we have to file charges we need a legal name. We can’t tell the police we don’t have your name, and sadly it’s been horrible in the past few years with guests that are frauds or cause massive damage, etc. If we have to file even charges for “Defrauding an Innkeeper” because the guest disputed the credit card charge, we need their legal name. NO! Airbnb will NOT give it to us! If we did not get it on a rental agreement and copy of ID, we hare SOL. They will not even give it to the police. They will only provide it to the court with a court order. To help win chargebacks we also can prove that we had copy of your ID, the rental agreement signed and if we have exterior cameras that captured your arrival, you were there and you stayed. Better chance to fight and win the chargeback.
3. YES! You better bet I require a signed rental agreement! This is one of the only ways we also can get your name, contact info, including address (if we have to file charges on a bad guest) and only way we can enforce some of our property rules if we have to contact authorities and/or Airbnb or VRBO. It’s also the only way we can win against a guest that causes major damage. Airbnb will not help us enforce any property rules if we do not have it in a rental agreement, even if it was on our listing.
No, it is NOT against any form of Airbnb rules or terms for hosts to require a signed rental agreement. When you book thru Airbnb or VRBO, that “check the box to agree” is an agreement between the guest and Airbnb or VRBO, not between the guest and host.

None of this is a violation on Airbnb. If you do not agree to the requirements, which should be on the listing and should have been seen by the guest prior to requesting to book, the onus is on the guest. The host will NOT cancel this for you, you need to do that if you can not agree to the rules.
ALWAYS try to book direct! A lot more owners are working with their own websites for guests to book direct. This is how it was done way before Airbnb or VRBO. Yes, it is MUCH cheaper to book direct. You are not paying the service fee that they charge, that really is no protection for you.
If you do respond to the host that you are not signing anything, we can call Airbnb and they will read the communication and we will tell Airbnb to cancel it for us, we will NOT cancel it.
If you do not sign it and do not do the deposit or ID, in most cases, these are all required to be done within a time period. Most require such to be done within 48 hours. We will attempt a few times to get in contact with you to get the info and if no response or flat out says no, then we will tell you to cancel it or call Airbnb and tell them to cancel it, we will NOT cancel it. We can’t on our end! We get penalized and it’s not our fault that the guest did not read the rules on the listing.
If it does not get canceled and you show up, well, you might not have the full address to show up to and you will not be given any entry info to access the propety. And it could be booked by another person that did go thru the proper steps to finalize their booking. We do not have to give access to anyone that did not follow thru the rules.

Be sure to read thru the entire property listing, including near the bottom under “House Rules”. This is where we have to put what is required.
Old Aug 3, 2024, 10:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis P+
1. No, cleaning is not the same as damages caused. We hosts do not have a card on file. Airbnb will NOT allow us to call them and have them charge your card after your stay for damages.
2. Not always. And hosts are not given the guests identity if it is not the “name” on the account that we see on our end. You can have a “user name” that is “1234” or “Mickey Mouse” or whatever and that is all we see. Airbnb will NOT give us the guests name at all. They will not even give it to the police if we have to file charges or anything. Only thing they will do is give it to the court if there is a court order, Kind of hard for us to file any kind of court case without a name or contact info. Only way we get this info is if we require ID and a rental agreement.
3. As above, we do not get any info on the guest unless we get it thru our own rental agreement. The “check the box to agree” on Airbnb is between the guest and Airbnb, not between the guest and owner/host. Some cities actually require that hosts have a singed rental agreement from guests in their STR city ordinances. Also, our homeowners STR insurance may require this as well. I personally know that when I had to file for “loss of income” when I had to cancel all reservations for a 6 month period after our condo was flooded and destroyed, the only way they would pay me 100% was based on the rate the guests were paying on the signed rental agreements. Also, the only way we can sometimes get Airbnb or authorities to enforce our property rules is if the guest signed a rental agreement that had the stated rule in it along with what the penalty would be for breaking said rule. Airbnb is a online listing site, they are not a property management company (though they try to act like they are one).

While there may be a lot of hosts/owners that do not require any of this, more and more are ending up in situations that they find out they are screwed without having any ID or rental agreement. We are allowed to require such and it is not a violation on Airbnb. Trust me, if you owned a vacation rental you would be doing everything you could to protect your investment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.