Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best airline from NYC to Copenhagen?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2009, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Best airline from NYC to Copenhagen?

Choosing between Continental (both ways) or United/SAS roundrtrip Newark-Copenhagen. While I'm asking, any hotel recommendations in Copenhagen?

Thanks!
Old Feb 25, 2009, 8:07 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
All else being equal, I usually opt for SAS, Lufthansa, or similar just because traveling on the foreign airline adds a tiny bit more foreign country experience. Food is different and interesting, FAs have those wonderful accents, etc.

OTOT, I usually avoid traveling on foreign airlines where I'm unsure their maintenance standards and crew training are at least equal to that of the US.

You probably need to tell a little more about your desires in a hotel - budget, star level, location, etc. before anyone will jump in with recommendations. I think people that bid on Priceline usually end up with a Marriott in Copenhagen. That could be one route to go.

Romelle
Old Mar 2, 2009, 10:07 pm

Programs: FB Plat/SPG Plat/HH Gold/LHW/SLH/SK Silver
As opposed to Romelle I would always opt for the non-US airline. US airlines are te worst in the world in my, and most others opinion especially when compared to their Asian counterparts.

If you're not collecting points anywhere specific I would opt for SAS. One of my favorite Copenhagen hotels is the Hotel Front. Central location, great rooms which are modern and stylish. St Petri is anoter decent option; they are part of Design Hotels. If you want to be by the airport the Hilton is pretty nice.

www.hotelfront.dk
Old Mar 3, 2009, 9:46 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, ALL Silver, IHG Gold, RH VIP
I would choose anything but Scandinavian Airlines, and that's from a Scandinaivan :-)

SAS is not very good. Poor service and expensive for what you get in return. OK, they get you directly to CPH from NY, but besides that they have nothing going for them.

The CC are often sour old women with no sense of giving service which is a pity as we (as a people) are not like that in general.

I'd defo go for LH, BA or AF instead or maybe even Finnair via Helsinki (even though it is a detour)...
Old Mar 7, 2009, 12:17 pm

First do you have any prefferences as it realtes to FF programs?

If not, it kind of depends which cabin your are travelling in. In economy go for SK, beats CO hands down any time. And the A330 is a far supperior aircraft to Economy Extra product (sometimes it is available for a cash upgrade of USD 250 at EWR) this is a great product. In business it is a bit more of question mark. At the end it of course depends on what the prices are for the dates you are travelling.

As it relates to hotel: As indicated above you need to supplya bit more information. If you want to go for a designer and something out of the ordinary try Fox Hotel - designed and used for the launch of the VW Fox car.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 4:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EP, UA 1K, DL GM, Tumlare Bussresor Super Class
Originally Posted by Cupart
I would choose anything but Scandinavian Airlines, and that's from a Scandinaivan :-)

SAS is not very good. Poor service and expensive for what you get in return. OK, they get you directly to CPH from NY, but besides that they have nothing going for them.

The CC are often sour old women with no sense of giving service which is a pity as we (as a people) are not like that in general.

I'd defo go for LH, BA or AF instead or maybe even Finnair via Helsinki (even though it is a detour)...
Did you read the OP? He's trying to choose between the SK and CO non-stops to New York.
SK offers better onboard experience than CO.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 6:33 am

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Don't overlook Icelandair via Reykjavik. Arrive in the morning, go to the Blue Lagoon, and continue to Copenhagen on a later flight (or connect directly...)
Old Mar 11, 2009, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Other way

OP never stated time frames for travel, so my suggestion would be:

CX JFK-HKG, perhaps a layover in a hectic city, ot just spending time in top CX Lounges Pier or Wing, OW status or ticket permitting.
Then CX HKG- european hub; LHR can be a drag, but BA lounges sweetens you up after all the hustle, FRA has quick connections to CPH, but carriers FRA-CPH has little to offer when it comes to lounges. FMC and CDG about the same and AMS somewhere intermediate.

MY Choice would be JFK-HKG-LHR-CPH (last leg BA, CX codeshare)

To fly the shortest way might be considered a heresy
Old Aug 28, 2024, 1:40 pm

It's funny to re-up this thread when the last posts were when I was in college, but nonetheless: we're looking to do this trip (NYC > CPH) next summer and cannot figure out the best course of action. There seems to be only one-two direct flights per day, severely limiting the airline options to Delta or SAS. I could do RT on BA Business Class for <$4,000 for two pax, but there's layovers there and back in LHR (in excess of 3+ hours, carry-on luggage only). Doable? Tough it out for a lower seat class, but a direct flight?
Old Aug 28, 2024, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by wander_around
It's funny to re-up this thread when the last posts were when I was in college, but nonetheless: we're looking to do this trip (NYC > CPH) next summer and cannot figure out the best course of action. There seems to be only one-two direct flights per day, severely limiting the airline options to Delta or SAS. I could do RT on BA Business Class for <$4,000 for two pax, but there's layovers there and back in LHR (in excess of 3+ hours, carry-on luggage only). Doable? Tough it out for a lower seat class, but a direct flight?
Business Class roundtrip on BA for $2K per person? Really?

If you did take the connection in Business Class on BA, you would, of course, have lounge access at all airports for flight departures. And you could get discounts off of your fare with an AARP membership ($16/year, even for those under 50 who can join as "Associate" members) and/or with the Chase/BA credit card ($95 annual fee). Either would more than pay for itself on such a trip.

If you were to credit your BA flights to the BA Executive Club program, you would have oneworld Ruby status after completing the trup, which would get you some benefits when flying AA or AS in Economy here in the U.S..

Caveat: Business Class tickets on BA do not include free advance seat selection, unless you already have oneworld elite status. But if you were to book the BA codeshares operated by AA for the trans-Atlantic flights, you would get free advance seat selection on AA. (The codeshares qualify for the AARP discount, but not for the Chase/BA discount.)

Last edited by guv1976; Aug 28, 2024 at 4:33 pm
Old Aug 29, 2024, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by wander_around
Obviously direct is generally preferable, all other things being equal, but as far as indirects go a JFK-LHR-CPH is very much on the easier end of the spectrum. LHR-CPH is a short onward flight and I would say worth it over economy/premium nonstop if the price is good. ~3hrs is a good connection time - not too short, not too long.

Originally Posted by guv1976
Caveat: Business Class tickets on BA do not include free advance seat selection, unless you already have oneworld elite status. But if you were to book the BA codeshares operated by AA for the trans-Atlantic flights, you would get free advance seat selection on AA. (The codeshares qualify for the AARP discount, but not for the Chase/BA discount.)
One thing to factor in here: BA's CPH flights go from LHR T5, so if picking AA for the transatlantic you would need to transfer T3<>T5 which is certainly more of a faff than T5<>T5. The onboard products are largely similar, so it may come down to a choice between free seat selection vs easier transfer.

Incidentally GOT is from T3, if you were heading that way.
Old Aug 29, 2024, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Obviously direct is generally preferable, all other things being equal, but as far as indirects go a JFK-LHR-CPH is very much on the easier end of the spectrum. LHR-CPH is a short onward flight and I would say worth it over economy/premium nonstop if the price is good. ~3hrs is a good connection time - not too short, not too long.

One thing to factor in here: BA's CPH flights go from LHR T5, so if picking AA for the transatlantic you would need to transfer T3<>T5 which is certainly more of a faff than T5<>T5. The onboard products are largely similar, so it may come down to a choice between free seat selection vs easier transfer.
Or the lounge options -- especially on the return trip.
Old Aug 30, 2024, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
Or the lounge options -- especially on the return trip.
Yes this would also be a factor. And of course you could do BA one way and AA the other. But let's not turn this into another thread about T3 lounges...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.