Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

HELP! China Airlines Open Return ticket policy question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2006, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: No more status...just doing my best in burning my points/miles.

Okay, I'm in somewhat of a pickle here, PISSED, and would like to get some advice. In my mind there are two seperate issues here and would appreciate some advice on both.

I purchased a 6 month open return ticket from China Airlines (SFO-TPE) from their website back in Feb. The fare rules specifically stated there was an embargo period and that flying on those dates would incur a $40USD surcharge.

I was attempting to book my return ticket in June, their flights were booked outside of the 6 month range and only had flights within the "embargo" period and I was placed on Standby on several dates. Reservations assured me that since I could extend my ticket to a one year validity ticket for a surcharge of 100USD. I agreed to this and was put on the standby list.

Two weeks ago China Airlines called me to let me know my flight has finally been confirmed for tomorrow.

This morning, I've been recieving quite a few distressing calls lately from the China Airlines office in Taipei. First they tell me that my fees are now a total of 100+40+100+Fuel Surcharge=(240+ tax +Fuel surcharge), not the initial 140 they promised. (Actually this was a string of 3 calls! The first went don't forget the 140) They claim that there is a 100USD booking fee, and that it is unavoidable. I find this impossible to believe, as it was never stated in the fare rules and they actually sell open return tickets on the website and have no capability to book it online.

I talked to a friend who is a local travel agent who called on my behalf and the answers she got were confusing. First they claimed I did a date change, (but never did), then changed the story to a booking fee, then something to do with the price differential of a US issued ticket and a Taiwan based one. To be honest, I am utterly lost in this matter.

I have no problem paying the 140 or even the 240, but I have problems accepting the fact that they will now charge me an additional Fuel Surcharge which has already been paid with the initial ticket, and an additional 100USD booking service fee for my return.

I have no choice but to pay the 240 for my flight tomorrow as I need to return, but I find the open return ticket booking fee incredible! Does anyone have any more information about China Airline's policy in regards to their open return ticket?

Thanks

PB
Old Aug 28, 2006, 2:18 pm

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
I have bought many tickets online and from travel agents, and as far as I can remember never been charged any fee. In Taiwan I normally goto the Banchau office of CI (MRT HsinPu exit 2, next to Hotel), it is small office and noramlly they do changes for me with no problems (I change my dates a lot and I use CI since there is no change fee). The office is very nice (but quiet, I think not many people visit there), they give me small Ci gifts sometimes, big wall calendars, toy airplanes, ect.

If you have problems, I would visit the office.

Originally Posted by party_boy
Okay, I'm in somewhat of a pickle here, PISSED, and would like to get some advice. In my mind there are two seperate issues here and would appreciate some advice on both.

I purchased a 6 month open return ticket from China Airlines (SFO-TPE) from their website back in Feb. The fare rules specifically stated there was an embargo period and that flying on those dates would incur a $40USD surcharge.

I was attempting to book my return ticket in June, their flights were booked outside of the 6 month range and only had flights within the "embargo" period and I was placed on Standby on several dates. Reservations assured me that since I could extend my ticket to a one year validity ticket for a surcharge of 100USD. I agreed to this and was put on the standby list.

Two weeks ago China Airlines called me to let me know my flight has finally been confirmed for tomorrow.

This morning, I've been recieving quite a few distressing calls lately from the China Airlines office in Taipei. First they tell me that my fees are now a total of 100+40+100+Fuel Surcharge=(240+ tax +Fuel surcharge), not the initial 140 they promised. (Actually this was a string of 3 calls! The first went don't forget the 140) They claim that there is a 100USD booking fee, and that it is unavoidable. I find this impossible to believe, as it was never stated in the fare rules and they actually sell open return tickets on the website and have no capability to book it online.

I talked to a friend who is a local travel agent who called on my behalf and the answers she got were confusing. First they claimed I did a date change, (but never did), then changed the story to a booking fee, then something to do with the price differential of a US issued ticket and a Taiwan based one. To be honest, I am utterly lost in this matter.

I have no problem paying the 140 or even the 240, but I have problems accepting the fact that they will now charge me an additional Fuel Surcharge which has already been paid with the initial ticket, and an additional 100USD booking service fee for my return.

I have no choice but to pay the 240 for my flight tomorrow as I need to return, but I find the open return ticket booking fee incredible! Does anyone have any more information about China Airline's policy in regards to their open return ticket?

Thanks

PB
Old Sep 4, 2006, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you get this resolved? You flew already so this is probably too late.

It seems they tried to turn your round trip ticket and turn the return into a one-way from TPE when you re-ticketed. I guess there would have been a re-ticket to extend the ticket.

My understanding is that the fuel surcharge is per segment (http://www.caa.gov.tw/big5/news/index01.asp?sno=63 - US$45.5 per long haul segment). The price went up on 21 JUN.

It is not clear whether US issued ticket was subject to this so this could be a reason. I have a US issued ticket on BR but I don't see anything that indicates it is a fuel surcharge. I am not sure how to read the fare calculation on tickets but there should be something about that. (Does anyone know how to find it on the calculation?)

If they charged you for both segments on your round-trip ticket, they should have refunded you the original surcharge (used as credit).
Old Sep 5, 2006, 5:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: ANA PLAT,CI GOLD,LH SEN,Hyatt Gold.
I never have trouble sorting out returns on open tickets

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.