Search

IB MAD Connection questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2008, 9:11 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
IB MAD Connection questions

I will be flying to Cairo on IB through MAD in Business class in February (DFW-ORD-MAD-CAI). My flight arrives at 7:45am and my connection doesn't depart until 4:50pm. I've never flown IB or flown through Spain, so don't know the airport or area at all. Is there enough time to go out of the airport for lunch or should I just stay in the airport? (If lunch is possible does anyone have any suggestions?)

My return flight also has me a little worried. I arrive back in MAD at 3:40am, but my connection doesn't leave until 12:00pm. Are the lounges open during those times? Do they have sleeping rooms? If not, is there a hotel in the airport (similar to something like at SIN?)

Thanks.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 8:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
Connexion in MAD

Originally Posted by hhoope01
I will be flying to Cairo on IB through MAD in Business class in February (DFW-ORD-MAD-CAI). My flight arrives at 7:45am and my connection doesn't depart until 4:50pm. I've never flown IB or flown through Spain, so don't know the airport or area at all. Is there enough time to go out of the airport for lunch or should I just stay in the airport? (If lunch is possible does anyone have any suggestions?)

My return flight also has me a little worried. I arrive back in MAD at 3:40am, but my connection doesn't leave until 12:00pm. Are the lounges open during those times? Do they have sleeping rooms? If not, is there a hotel in the airport (similar to something like at SIN?)

Thanks.
You have plenty of time to go into into downtown Madrid and do some sightseeing and have time for food. The Madrid subway is efficient. Remember the Spanish eat very late, so you may have difficulty finding places to eat, but search and you should be lucky.
The lounge at T4S is open all day (and is much nicer than that at T4). The food choice isn't outstanding, but the lounge is very pleasant. Don't believe there's a hotel airside at the airport and my experience is that the lounges don't open before 5:00 am, so am not sure how to help you on your return flight. Are you really sure it comes in at 03:40?
Old Jan 5, 2008, 9:34 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The new IB lounges do not have a sleeping room (like the old F lounge did), but do have quiet areas and are well furnished. There is no hotel at the airport, the closest is a few miles away (10 min drive) and not really practical for your schedule.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 11:22 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Thanks for the info. I may try and head out for a quick lookaround on my way out.

Originally Posted by catandmouse
Are you really sure it comes in at 03:40?
According to my itinerary IB 3735 CAI-MAD departs at 11:45pm and arrives at 3:40am. But if the lounge will open at 5:00am, that isn't too long a wait. And if it has a "quiet" area, I can probably get a little bit of sleep.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 4:07 pm

Programs: IB Platinum, LH FF, JK Gold, FB Plat, PC Plat/IC Amb, Hertz #1 PC
Some points to correct:

All new IB lounges have separate sleeping area, nice and confortable but without blankets, 4 beds at T4 and 6 at T4S, some more at dali lounge for M gates.

It's usual to arrive before schedulled so you have plenty of time . You can go to have a shower at T4 lounge leave your hand baggage at the cloakroom and have a look at the city, just take the "metro" and have a late breakfast in front of the "Palacio Real" area, you can reach this in 20 minutes and will only cost you 2 Euro per direction.

Take a walk through the old city and go back to the airport around 2pm.

enjoy your stay at Madrid
Old Jan 7, 2008, 11:48 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Thank you for the info on the lounges. Unfortunately, on our flight no time will be available at MAD. Flying business class, lots of luggage.

My questions are: do we have an easy or rushed connection and do we have to do luggage or customs in MAD or does this occur in FCO?

SAN_ORD_MAD_FCO Arr MAD 7:45 am (T4s) Fri 4/25 dpt 9am (T4)

On the return (still business class) out of FCO May 20 flight is Term 8 at 8am. Is there a club we can use? Time open, in T?, branded?

Thank you!!
Old Jan 8, 2008, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by ranles
Thank you for the info on the lounges. Unfortunately, on our flight no time will be available at MAD. Flying business class, lots of luggage.

My questions are: do we have an easy or rushed connection and do we have to do luggage or customs in MAD or does this occur in FCO?

SAN_ORD_MAD_FCO Arr MAD 7:45 am (T4s) Fri 4/25 dpt 9am (T4)

On the return (still business class) out of FCO May 20 flight is Term 8 at 8am. Is there a club we can use? Time open, in T?, branded?

Thank you!!
My experriences at MAD:

Your luggage will be checked till FCO and customs will be cleared there. 1h15' is a little bit tight, you have to go trough passport control at T4S an then take the train to the main building T4, once there new sucurity must be cleared to enter HJK gates,normally just one control point it's open which means that it could be crowded in seconds...be aware that duty free staff (liquids) must be into a sealed plastig bag with purchase ticket into or will go to trash (no time to re-check it), no FAST TRACK at MAD for business class or top tier FFQT. Minimum timing for me was 45 minutes to reach H gates area (20 minutes from T4 security point - walking not running of course-) on a PRG-MAD-LCG (business class) connection.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 7:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Similar question r.e. MAD

I will be arriving coach-class IB into MAD from IAD with a 5 hour layover before connecting on to BLQ.

With no status and as a coach passenger, does MAD have any contract lounges where a day pass can be purchased? I'd love to shower...

Other options for a five hour layover would be welcome! Thanks!
Old Feb 2, 2008, 5:09 pm

Programs: BA Silver · VY apologist · IB up and coming
There are a few contract lounges in MAD but none of them have showers. Not sure what they cost. Nearby hotel is probably your best bet; there are a couple about five minutes away by taxi.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by geo1005
I will be arriving coach-class IB into MAD from IAD with a 5 hour layover before connecting on to BLQ.

With no status and as a coach passenger, does MAD have any contract lounges where a day pass can be purchased? I'd love to shower...

Other options for a five hour layover would be welcome! Thanks!
You have showers at MAD Business center, T4 main building land side (I think). You are foolowed to this "arrival" lounge to have a shower arriving on B+ so you can ask the "price"of the shower. I never used this facility as I use to connect at MAD so I can use IB's domestic lounge (T4).

You can find information about this checking IB's web Business Plus service. I read something about arrival service at this center flying Business Plus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.