Wiki Posts
Search

Family trip to Lima and MP

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2012 | 7:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat100, UA 1K, National Exec
Family trip to Lima and MP

We're going Lima later this month with 10 yr old kid. Shall we book a tour going to MP? any recommendation? For flight to MP, is there a budget airline available?
Also, is it feasible/recommended to do rental car in Peru, say, drive from Lima to Cuzco, and other places?

I'm thinking to visit Chile or Argentina, any cheap flights from Lima?

This is my 1st trip to South America, thanks for advice.
Old Nov 3, 2012 | 8:21 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Travelling by bus is cheaper than driving to Cuzco. Because of the distance (20 hours), having to cross the Andes (4000+ metres) & unfamiliar mountain roads you shouldn't consider driving to Cuzco even if you love driving. Many foreigners use Cruz del Sur. Other good companies include for instance Oltursa.

If you miles with AA,BA,TACA or LAN, use them to fly to Cusco. Peruvian Airlines, Star Peru, LAN & TACA fly to Cuzco. Cheapest flights with Peruvian Airlines (<200 USD) can only be purchased online if you have Peruvian IP address. You might want to call to their Peruvian call center if looking for the cheapest flights or take the risk and have a look at their prices online on arrival. Peruvian & Star Peru tend to be cheapest options for non-residents.
Old Nov 3, 2012 | 8:30 am
Ambassador: Peru

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
Shall we book a tour going to MP?
If it's your first time, and you don't speak spanish, I'd say yes. First of all I strongly recommend you buy a good Peru guide book and read it, or research in internet about all places you want to visit (it's my rule every time I'm going to a unknown country). Cusco city, the Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu are the usual "musts".

For flight to MP, is there a budget airline available?
Peruvian Airlines is cheaper than LAN, specially for foreigns. They assure it's the same rate for peruvians and foreigns on its webpage (though read miikkak warning, he must have some experience). I suggest you read the "Gringo tax" and "Peruvian Airlines chronicles" threads to see details. Though Peruvian Air is not as good as LAN, it's getting better, and I guess it would be the 2nd choice (I mean better than Star Peru or other small airlines, though again, do a research in this forum about comments of those airlines, you'll find useful info).
http://www.peruvian.pe/en/flight-off...-lima-to-cusco

I'd buy my tickets now if you are saying you are traveling this month, as long as you are closer to the date, is more expensive. If you flight by LAN or Taca, I think a "package deal" of flights will be far better than buying tickets separately.

Also, is it feasible/recommended to do rental car in Peru, say, drive from Lima to Cuzco, and other places?
I have not driven from Lima to Cusco yet (every year I con accomplish the plan), but they say it's a beautiful road, specially after Nazca when you cross the mountains. I did drive within Cusco area, Sacred Valley, and it's beautiful, and most important to me is the you manage your time with complete liberty. But a GPS is a must, and again... if you don't speak spanish, it will be more complicated for you.

However this month is the beginning of rainy season and may be a bit dangerous for unexperienced drivers. But most important, we peruvians drive a bit (or too much) wild, most foreigns don't dare to drive here. I wouldn't recommend you unless you already have experience (or you are brazilian, argentine, etc )

Anyway if you are trying to save money, follow miikkak advise about Cruz del Sur or Oltursa buses. They are good and safe.
Old Nov 3, 2012 | 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info, quite helpful.

I'm from US, always enjoy driving during travel for flexibility of schedule and sightseeing. Is it highway from Lima to Cusco, is it easy to find motel, guest house along the way? For mountain road, is it all winding road?
For stay near Cusco, MP, any good web sites to find hotels, guest houses?

What are must-see, Cusco, MP, Scared Valley, Lima, any other places? I arrive Nov 19, leaving 27th.

thanks
Old Nov 3, 2012 | 2:25 pm
15 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by williamx

I'm from US, always enjoy driving during travel for flexibility of schedule and sightseeing. Is it highway from Lima to Cusco, is it easy to find motel, guest house along the way? For mountain road, is it all winding road?

What are must-see, Cusco, MP, Scared Valley, Lima, any other places? I arrive Nov 19, leaving 27th.

thanks
I wouldn't recommend driving from Lima to Cuzco, especially if you are not familiar with the roads, driving conditions, driving style, language, etc. If I were you, I'd play is safe and fly to Cuzco.
Old Nov 3, 2012 | 6:30 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver

thanks
Probably the biggest challenge when travelling with rented car is lack of time. 9 days isn't that much time and you will spend ~3 days sitting in the car. Besides the traffic, another major difference between North America/Europe and Peru is the altitude. Be prepared as mild symptons of mountain sickness cause much more trouble when travelling by car.

Anyway, you can stop in Pisco, Ica&Nazca on the coast and there are some smaller towns like Abancay to in the mountains to spend the night. If spending the night in smaller mountain towns, advance research is highly recommended as finding a hospedaje/hotel meeting your quality expectations can be challenging.
Old Nov 4, 2012 | 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by Pedro M
I wouldn't recommend driving from Lima to Cuzco, especially if you are not familiar with the roads, driving conditions, driving style, language, etc. If I were you, I'd play is safe and fly to Cuzco.
I agree. If your flexibility of schedule and sightseeing is the main reason (as it's mine when travel too), I'd suggest you to do what I do: arrive by plane and rent a car within Cusco and drive along the surrounding places, including Chinchero and Sacred Valley. But keep in mind the warnings about driving style and language.

Anyway, answering the question, yes it's paved highway from Lima to Cusco. You must drive 500 along the coast thru the Panamericana Sur highway, sleep at Nazca, and then depart very very early in the morning to enter the mountains region and reach Cusco by end of afternoon, or night. I've driven to Nazca but don't know about the Nazca-Cuzco segment, though I've read it's beautiful, but there are no touristic services, infraestucture, etc. You cross beautiful small, but poor, towns (if you decide to sleep there you must research before for hotels). Nazca-Cuzco is like 611km, but since it's crossing valley and mountains, it would be more than 8 hours I guess. My suggestion is the same as Pedro M. Though I have seen foreign tourists driving in Peru, it's no common and most of them are really scared about the way we peruvians drive.

Now, if you decide to rent a car in Cusco, I can suggest you some rent a car offices, though they probably ask you for a 10,000 soles deposit (they just block your credit car with a prepaid transaction, annulling it when you return the car, or just sign a blank voucher).

And remember cars in Peru are usually not automatic, they are manual transmission (manual gearbox, standard transmission). If you are not used to this, you need to ask if they have automatic transmission cars in stock.
Old Nov 6, 2012 | 3:33 am

Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
I did the Lima-Cuzco trip with a rental car about 3 years ago. Highway was in good condition, paved mountain road after Nazca, but no problem advancing at a good pace, if you have a strong car, as you have to overtake slow trucks. When going by car, I would recommend to stay a night in Abancay, this will help to better acclimatize to the altitude and gives you the possibility to visit some sites near Abancay the next morning. The biggest issue when driving into the mountains is availability of gas. There are gas stations between Nazca and Abancay, but they might be out of supply. Always fill up, when gas is available. Be also prepared for delays due to construction work. No problem finding hotels in Nazca or Abancay.

If you have driving experience in Mexico, you won't have a problem in Peru. However, as others have said, driving is different from US/Europe, especially in Lima.
Old Nov 18, 2012 | 2:39 am
Original Poster

Tambopata reserve vs Lake Titicaca?

Thanks for everyone's reply and info. Will take the flight to Cusco.

After visiting Cusco/MP area, I have 2-3 days for another place. Shall I go Tambopata reserve or Lake Titicaca? Which one is more unique, attractive?

thanks
Old Nov 18, 2012 | 7:24 am

Thanks for everyone's reply and info. Will take the flight to Cusco.

After visiting Cusco/MP area, I have 2-3 days for another place. Shall I go Tambopata reserve or Lake Titicaca? Which one is more unique, attractive?

thanks
"attractive" is up to one's preferences, I guess. I'd say Titicaca is more unique, since is the highest navigable lake in the world, or so I read. And the landscapes are really beautiful and hard to find in other place.

From Cusco to Puno, the best way to go is by one of those touristic bus, that includes stops and visits in beautiful Andahuaylillas, Pukar, Racchi, etc. I always recommend this than the train, that do the same route but with no stops (except one I guess).

Tambopata (I've never been there) is jungle and is not that unique I think, cause there are lot of beautiful jungle places in Per (Manu, Candamo, etc.) and the world. But surely it has its own and exclusive features. But again, I think you will enjoy more the place according on what you like to do, and prefer to see.

From Cusco to Tambopata, the best way to go is by plane to Puerto Maldonado, and then a boat to Tambopata natural reserve.
Old Nov 19, 2012 | 1:51 am
Original Poster

Thanks, I'll pass Jungle then.
How about Arequipa? If I have to choose between Arequipa (Colca Canyon) and Puno/Lake, which would you recommend?
Old Nov 19, 2012 | 7:32 am

[QUOTE=williamx;19709353]Thanks, I'll pass Jungle then.
How about Arequipa? If I have to choose between Arequipa (Colca Canyon) and Puno/Lake, which would you recommend?[/QUOTE

That's really hard to answer. As city, Arequipa is far more beautiful than Puno. But Puno has the lake near the city and all the nature, landscapes, tours around there, etc.

Colca canyon is not near Arequipa city, but you must include at least the 2 days tour to the canyon. And it is beautiful, too. As nice as Titicaca.

I think I would choose Puno and the lake. But whatever you choose, you will enjoy it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.