Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Peru
Reload this Page >

~7 Hours at LIM

~7 Hours at LIM

Old Dec 10, 2012 | 4:11 pm
Original Poster

~7 Hours at LIM

At the end of my upcoming Peru trip, I arrive at LIM from PEM (domestic) at 5:05 pm and don't leave for MIA until 11:55 pm. What do you recommend doing during this ~7 hours or so? Is there enough time/is it worth it to go into any part of the city, even just for dinner?

Alternatively, should we (2 of us) just hang around the airport? We are flying economy, but would it be worth to buy a lounge pass? I've read those get pretty full, but if that is a reasonable option, what is the best way of doing it? Are any of them eligible for Skyguide reimbursement?
Old Dec 11, 2012 | 12:45 pm
Original Poster

One other thing, we plan on only having carry on luggage
Old Dec 12, 2012 | 6:09 am
Ambassador: Peru

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
You are arriving at Lima on traffic peak hours. It will take no less than 45 minutes to reach Miraflores, Barranco or San Isidro, where good restaurants are located. Same with downtown, maybe less time but traffic is a nightmare between 6pm and 8pm. And traffic is more intense during december, lot of people wait the last minute for christmas shoppings, companies arrange their end of the year celebrations, etc.

And there's another bad new: the express highway of the Costa Verde (near the beaches) has been closes since yesterday to may 2013, due to mantainment and expansion, on the segment from San Miguel (just the entrance when you are coming from the airport to Miraflores) to Magdalena.

And if you are leaving to MIA at 11:55pm, you have to check at 8pm, better at 7pm (specially if you fly by AA).

I know a good restaurant not far from the airport called El Grifo, but it's not open at evening, just for lunch. Maybe another FTalker can recommend a near place. Actually you don't have much time to spare in the city.
Old Dec 12, 2012 | 7:18 am

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
and there is an extensive thread somewhere asking the same question with some interesting ideas... take a look, might be interesting to you
Old Dec 12, 2012 | 10:09 am
Ambassador, LATAM
40 Countries Visited100k15 Years on Site

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles
Originally Posted by bingocallerb22
and there is an extensive thread somewhere
here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/peru/...into-town.html
Old Dec 13, 2012 | 2:21 pm
Original Poster

I took a look at that thread, but there seems to be a pretty big difference between 7 hours and 11 hours. Based on everything, it sounds like I'm better off staying at the airport. Thanks
Old Dec 13, 2012 | 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by aresay
I took a look at that thread, but there seems to be a pretty big difference between 7 hours and 11 hours. Based on everything, it sounds like I'm better off staying at the airport. Thanks
Like shopping? There is an outlet mall beside the airport, about 30 shops. Go out to the road on the terminal's domestic side, turn left, walk 60 metres and voila.... happy browsing!
Old Dec 13, 2012 | 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Like shopping? There is an outlet mall beside the airport, about 30 shops. Go out to the road on the terminal's domestic side, turn left, walk 60 metres and voila.... happy browsing!
Thanks, I'm sure my wife will love that idea! Are there any decent food options around there too?
Old Dec 14, 2012 | 12:33 am
Ambassador, LATAM
40 Countries Visited100k15 Years on Site

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles
Like shopping? There is an outlet mall beside the airport
There is? Haven't been there yet!

Well, there is also a larger mall not too far from the airport, not walkable but should have more food options (Mall Aventura Plaza)
Old Dec 14, 2012 | 6:41 am

Originally Posted by andreadbc
There is? Haven't been there yet!

Well, there is also a larger mall not too far from the airport, not walkable but should have more food options (Mall Aventura Plaza)
Yes, I think it does. The outlet is not as big as a mall.
Old Dec 14, 2012 | 1:36 pm

ooops
Old Dec 14, 2012 | 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Villavic
Yes, I think it does. The outlet is not as big as a mall.
Yes, sorry, did not mean to confuse. It is not a mall mall, it is, well... an outlet mall. North Americans know the difference.

I mentioned it because it is pretty risk free for a gringo, it is gated with security. You can actually access it without going out to the street and wandering Callao, just pass the gate as you walk alongside the terminal. It does have a everyday restaurant with a patio if you wanted to get out of the stuffy airport, have a coffee and smoke sitting down, stretch your legs. Right now they are offering Calvin Klein jeans at 50% off !!!!! (haha).
Old Dec 14, 2012 | 1:44 pm

Right now they are offering Calvin Klein jeans at 50% off !!!!! (haha).
Somebody told me the new stuff arrive each friday, though I've not confirmed yet.

Remember december evenings are very crowded (traffic, shops) until christmas. aresay, where will you be in LIM?
Old Dec 22, 2012 | 9:06 pm

Check out the Callao museums and boat tour described on this page:
http://www.limaeasy.com/lima_distric...o_province.php
This is close to the airport.
Maybe none of these are available in the evening hours though. Other ideas on what to do in Callao?
Old Jan 4, 2013 | 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Ultimately, we ended up staying at the airport and getting a lot of reading done in the food court area while eating Chifa. Originally, we had planned on buying lounge passes for Sumaq, but we were unable to get our boarding passes until 3 hours before the flight as the AA desk did not open until then and we were unable to check in online due to a slight mismatch between the name on our ticket and passport (hyphenated name problems). By that point, it didn't really seem worth it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.