Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speed Limits in Peru

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2008 | 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Speed Limits in Peru

What is the maximum speed limit(for buses) on the Pan American highway between Lima and Huartal? I see that highway has no limit in some areas

What is the highest speed limit in the city of Lima?
Old Sep 29, 2008 | 11:36 am
50 Countries Visited1M20 Years on Site

Programs: Delta Gold 1 MM
Interesting question

Not really sure of its relevance?? Like most South American countries buses go as fast as the driver is able.

In Lima the speed limit is that of the traffic ahead of you. Chaotic and interesting.
Old Oct 8, 2008 | 2:46 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
Speed limits are not widely observed anywhere in Peru, but for what it's worth, the "official" limit on most of the Panamericana is 100 km/h. As noted by opushomes, intercity buses are particularly bad about obeying the limit and it shows in their accident statistics. They are downright menaces.

In urban areas, the (unposted) limit is generally 35 km/h, with higher (posted) limits on major arterials.

When driving in Lima, you can safely ignore the 35 kph limit. However, if you're driving along the Panamericana, be careful as you enter towns along the highway, which in many places forms the main street of the town. On entering these towns the limit abruptly changes from 100 to 35, but this is not always well signed, and sometimes not signed at all. But with or without signage, the police sometimes wait to catch speeders, and wealthy gringos driving flashy SUVs are a favorite target.

If you get caught, make sure you have your driver's license handy and that you don't have to flash a cash-full wallet to get it out. Cooperate with them and be patient, to the point of agreeing that you were speeding and agreeing to pay the ticket. Inevitably, just before writing out the ticket, the cop will ask you to pay "directly to the municipality", or will just come flat out and ask for money for fuel for his truck, or beer. At that point, offer the guy S/.5.00 or S/.10.00, and you're home free.

Oh, and if you speak Spanish, it might be better to pretend you don't. "No espaol" should do the trick.
Old Oct 8, 2008 | 9:41 pm
20 Countries Visited1M20 Years on Site

Programs: UA Platinum
Regarding bribes to the Policia, I was stopped once between Arequipa and Moquegua at check point. Of course, being gringo's we were told to pull off to the side for further investigation. After a lot of back and forth, the cops basically told us to give them all the money we had. Being cooperative sorts (and out numbered) we dumped all of our soles on them (probably about $10-15 US) and were were let to go on our way. Luckily, they didn't think to ask for our American money of which we had a considerable amount!
Old Oct 9, 2008 | 6:10 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by rockdoc
Regarding bribes to the Policia, I was stopped once between Arequipa and Moquegua at check point. Of course, being gringo's we were told to pull off to the side for further investigation. After a lot of back and forth, the cops basically told us to give them all the money we had. Being cooperative sorts (and out numbered) we dumped all of our soles on them (probably about $10-15 US) and were were let to go on our way. Luckily, they didn't think to ask for our American money of which we had a considerable amount!
That's not an uncommon experience, unfortunately.

I guess I should have added yesterday: whatever you do, don't get into an accident, because if you do, you'll be at fault no matter what happened!
Old Oct 9, 2008 | 6:34 am
Original Poster

we just met a former bus driver from Peru who now lives here in the States. He was telling us he used to drive luxury tour buses about 10 years ago in Peru and that on the highway he used to drive 70-75mph and in the city of Lima he'd drive up to 50mph, he told us the limit on some roads in Lima was as high as 60-65mph, but he only drove 50mph in the city, I think we're missing something here. (I'm guessing this 60-65mph limit is expressways going thru the city)

I would assume the tour bus drivers who drive 'rich' gringoes are slower more careful drivers than the drivers who drive the locals

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.