Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

Scoot: Premium Economy - MEL-ATH one-way €654

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2019, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold

I was playing around with Scoot fares and found this nice gem from Australia to Europe. Coach is under €300 but at this price point for a product similar to Norwegian...
Source: PCD

Melbourne to Athens from €654

Scoot Business "Premium Economy" Boeing 787 (Random online photos)

Justin Case likes this.

Last edited by jfkeze; Apr 13, 2019 at 7:42 am
Old Apr 13, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: SQ KF Gold
Cheaper than SQ in PE by far (Even if it still not a like for like comparison)! Nice find, OP ^
rt23456p likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
I think it's a bit of a strecth to put Scoot and Norwegian in the same category Other than both products happen to be on a plane!

Scoot gives one drink with each meal... the rest, even water, has to be paid for. The one meal given is tiny, any additional food must be paid. Seat pitch on Scoot is limited, compared to 45-50 inches on norwegian. Scoot doesn't have the best reputation for on time performance (the last delay was more than 48 hours in Athens?). Plus I think from MEl the connection times are quite poor.

I would not recommend anyone taking Scoot either in economy (cheaper to fly legacy carriers) or 'biz' unless no other alternatives.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I think it's a bit of a strecth to put Scoot and Norwegian in the same category Other than both products happen to be on a plane!

Scoot gives one drink with each meal... the rest, even water, has to be paid for. The one meal given is tiny, any additional food must be paid. Seat pitch on Scoot is limited, compared to 45-50 inches on norwegian. Scoot doesn't have the best reputation for on time performance (the last delay was more than 48 hours in Athens?). Plus I think from MEl the connection times are quite poor.

I would not recommend anyone taking Scoot either in economy (cheaper to fly legacy carriers) or 'biz' unless no other alternatives.
I haven't flown them, but from pictures it looked like 2-3-2 seating ala Norwegian... posted it as ex-Australia fares tend to be sky-high... I was researching this route and saw 550E from SIN so just hundred more from Australia seemed decent...
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:53 pm

They fly the same premium cabin as scoot biz in Asia. It’s fine. Nothing to get excited about but better recline that most PE products on other airlines so that is nice.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 10:20 pm

And Norwegian does??????
Old Apr 13, 2019, 10:39 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
This is useful if and only if you're based in Australia and want to position to Europe for the much cheaper Europe to Australia/Asia J fares and have lots of time on your hand, and can not fly to Europe in Y for so long. Sure, seats are bigger with more leg rooms than Y, but that's the only good thing about it.

I was looking at booking regional flights out of SIN and passed up TR, booked other legacy carriers in Y instead because

1. It's not cheaper when you add up food on board and checked bags.
2. Seats are cramped on 777 and passengers of size will be required to pay double, else would be denied boarding.
3. Frequent and lengthy delays, even cancellations which would cost astronomical to re-book alternatives last minute during prime periods (ie. CNY).

I also need to emphasize the magnitude of delay, it's not just a few hours, sometimes it can be days, that's if you're lucky enough to be looked after, sometimes you're just SOL. In my case I need to connect to TK flight back to Canada from SIN, there's a risk with TR even with layover overnight during peak holiday periods. Stick with legacy carriers in Y for the peace of mind if you can't afford to get stranded and miss your long haul flights.

Search FT and you'll find quite a few TR drama, here's one but you'll see others if you search

Scoot - cancelled my flight, will not give a refund :(

Last edited by vincewy; Apr 13, 2019 at 11:02 pm
Old Apr 13, 2019, 11:03 pm

Programs: Alaska
Scoot is only good from SIN and you live in SIN. Delay will not be days and you can go home.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jfkeze
I haven't flown them, but from pictures it looked like 2-3-2 seating ala Norwegian... posted it as ex-Australia fares tend to be sky-high... I was researching this route and saw 550E from SIN so just hundred more from Australia seemed decent...
The pictures look good But it's not matched by the soft product or reliability. Scoot Biz is not in the same league as say jetstar's 'business' which is the equaivalent of US domestic first class (food, drinks etc all included).

@ trooper - Norwegian may not have such a good reputation for reliability, but you have the portection of EU261 for all flights. Not so, unfortunately, with Scoot.

(For around the same price as ScootBiz you can hop on China Airlines with a full legacy PE offering, and to more destinations across Europe. )
Old Apr 14, 2019, 2:46 am

Programs: OZ*G, HH Diamond
Have heard recently that passengers on cancelled TR flights departing Australia for SIN have been put on SQ instead. Not sure how it works re Scootbiz (if they move you to Y, PE or J) but would be interesting to know
Old Apr 14, 2019, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Wow, surprised at all the negative commentary on Scoot... but not every sale is for every passenger... If you have a decent travel insurance and are not tied to specific commitments.. There are plenty of people flying LCCs across the globe and a "deal" with some caveats is still a deal....
Justin Case likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jfkeze
Wow, surprised at all the negative commentary on Scoot... but not every sale is for every passenger... If you have a decent travel insurance and are not tied to specific commitments.. There are plenty of people flying LCCs across the globe and a "deal" with some caveats is still a deal....
The negative commentary is only because Scoot doesn't tell you itself what the caveats are (that is, service you can expect on board). I think these days premium economy has a certain basic 'standard'... which would include things like free soft drinks for the duration of your flight.

Scoot is the exception to this, which warrants the warning.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 4:19 pm

The pictures look good But it's not matched by the soft product or reliability. Scoot Biz is not in the same league as say jetstar's 'business' which is the equaivalent of US domestic first class (food, drinks etc all included).

@ trooper - Norwegian may not have such a good reputation for reliability, but you have the portection of EU261 for all flights. Not so, unfortunately, with Scoot.

(For around the same price as ScootBiz you can hop on China Airlines with a full legacy PE offering, and to more destinations across Europe. )
How does EC261 help with delays? It provides monetary compensation...it doesn't get you where you want to be any quicker surely? I don't know about you but if I need to be somewhere a wad of cash doesn't make up for NOT being there...

P.S. You got that right lol . I'd rather go CI in Premium too!!!
Old Apr 14, 2019, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trooper
How does EC261 help with delays? It provides monetary compensation...it doesn't get you where you want to be any quicker surely? I don't know about you but if I need to be somewhere a wad of cash doesn't make up for NOT being there...

P.S. You got that right lol . I'd rather go CI in Premium too!!!
€600 compensation under EU261 plus the refund of your original fare means you can most likely buy a same day fare from another carrier that is flying, getting you to your destination quicker.

The recent scoot delay in Athens for 48 hours or whatever... pax could have bought tickets on just about any other carrier with the money.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 6:07 pm

If seats were available... that would be my concern these days...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.