Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ws - yvr-icn rt c$2900

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2024, 1:15 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by hoboeater
The Westjet business cabin is much smaller than Air Canada too so expect to be greeted on a first name basis.
I don't think the small cabin is a good thing. There are fewer FAs working it, so the service is no more attentive than on AC or any other North American or European airline. It also means that people are constantly going back and forth between the PY mini-cabin that takes up the rest of the space between doors 1 and 2 and the lav.

To the extent one is being addressed on a first-name basis, it's because either WS is in one of its less formal moods and is asking the staff to do that ("if we use first names instead of Mr. [x], we're friendlier!"), or because staff trained for many years to be informal have trouble adjusting. I fly WS a bunch and I'm not sure what SOP is because it's all over the map. A few years back WS was asking the in-charge FAs to go around and chat with everyone in the J cabin towards the end of their flight, and it included referencing their status (if applicable) and thanking them for their business, but WS didn't seem to have provided a script, so one guy kicked off the conversation with "So you're Gold, eh?", which perhaps is a great ice-breaker with FOTSGs who think that their 4 trips on WS and $5K of spending make them hot stuff, but to someone who also held SE status at AC and Silver at BA, I kind of wanted to say "Yeah, so what?" Most airlines have a script to follow like "Mr. Smith, I see you're Gold with us, so I just wanted to thank you for your business today and your continued loyalty", but WS seemed to just want staff to wing it.

But regardless of the formalities, the service is generally fine - better than average for North American carriers.
curlingfan and hoboeater like this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I don't think the small cabin is a good thing. There are fewer FAs working it, so the service is no more attentive than on AC or any other North American or European airline. It also means that people are constantly going back and forth between the PY mini-cabin that takes up the rest of the space between doors 1 and 2 and the lav.

But regardless of the formalities, the service is generally fine - better than average for North American carriers.
On my last flights—a week or so ago—there was one dedicated FA per side in business. I don’t know how that compares as a ratio of FA to PAX on other carriers as I’ve never paid too close attention to that factor, and I don’t remember if it was the same in the fall and last spring when I previously flew WS in business. In any case, the FAs were attentive and there was nothing lacking on the service side. I can’t say I’ve ever noticed anyone from PE using the forward lav.

For sure it is absurd to call it a premium economy class even if the amenity kit is rather dismal. My main gripe is that there always seem to be lots of first time business class pax compared to other carriers, so more activity in the cabin. All I really want is peace and quiet so I can rest.
curlingfan likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by arf04
On my last flights—a week or so ago—there was one dedicated FA per side in business. I don’t know how that compares as a ratio of FA to PAX on other carriers as I’ve never paid too close attention to that factor, and I don’t remember if it was the same in the fall and last spring when I previously flew WS in business. In any case, the FAs were attentive and there was nothing lacking on the service side. I can’t say I’ve ever noticed anyone from PE using the forward lav.

For sure it is absurd to call it a premium economy class even if the amenity kit is rather dismal. My main gripe is that there always seem to be lots of first time business class pax compared to other carriers, so more activity in the cabin. All I really want is peace and quiet so I can rest.
Oops sorry. That was probably me on my flights to Europe. Was travelling with a friend and it was his first time flying business, and can confirm we drank a little too much and played poker across the IFE
I too did not see anyone in PE using forward lav. I can confirm that FA is dedicated to aisle as we sat in the two middle seats and got different FAs. I guess at this price point expect a full first time J cabin
Old Feb 20, 2024, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by hoboeater
Oops sorry. That was probably me on my flights to Europe. Was travelling with a friend and it was his first time flying business, and can confirm we drank a little too much and played poker across the IFE
I too did not see anyone in PE using forward lav. I can confirm that FA is dedicated to aisle as we sat in the two middle seats and got different FAs. I guess at this price point expect a full first time J cabin
Lol. If you’re over 80, that was you the other week… There was a sweet old couple that took full advantage of the service offerings but that were also hard of hearing.

The lower price points we are seeing these days are getting me in to J cabins so I shouldn’t complain too much!
Old Feb 20, 2024, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA, AC, Delta Gold, Hilton Diamond
There is an additional C$50/C$100 (One Way/ Roundtrip) discount for Westjet reward members (Code 8R3K2XW). Expires Feb 22. No blackout dates.

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/deals?...1762747D-tab-0
SPN Lifer, arf04, m.y and 3 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.