Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Premium Fare Deals
Reload this Page >

NH/UA - KUL-NYC - 9918 MYR / $2114 r/t - Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NH/UA - KUL-NYC - 9918 MYR / $2114 r/t - Business

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2024, 10:05 pm

Wonder if it's possible to do one way KUL-JFK instead R/T, with half the price of R/T?
Old May 27, 2024, 12:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cruser1
As long as those fares allow it. The price will also likely be different (higher) because you'll be charged half the round-trip price for a flight from NYC to SIN/BKK/CGK for the return segment(s).
To be pedantic, it should be half the roundtrip price for other SE Asian airport - NYC, not the other way around, as you're originating the RT in SE Asia and will thus be subject to ex-SE Asia prices, not ex-US prices.

Originally Posted by richiealexander
Wonder if it's possible to do one way KUL-JFK instead R/T, with half the price of R/T?
It should be possible, but I'd expect to pay more than half the RT fare.
cruser1 likes this.
Old May 27, 2024, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by richiealexander
No, it is not. You cannot use a round-trip fare for one-way travel, and this fare is a round-trip fare.

Originally Posted by dkc192
To be pedantic, it should be half the roundtrip price for other SE Asian airport - NYC, not the other way around, as you're originating the RT in SE Asia and will thus be subject to ex-SE Asia prices, not ex-US prices.
To be extra pedantic, I went through this recently on the UA forum (here’s the last post, with the most detail: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/36220517-post317.html ). It turns out that with a couple of minor exceptions (western / central Europe, Scandinavia, and the US + Canada), if you don’t return to the same country, then you end up with fare components based upon the origin of each segment — so it actually would price as KUL-NYC + NYC-(wherever). I took a lot of convincing, because my understanding was the same as yours.

That said, I can’t actually find any fares to other Southeast Asia destinations that are combinable with this one, I suspect that in practice the answer is no — this can’t be used as part of an open jaw, even though open jaws are allowed in the fare rules.
gsalem94122 and cruser1 like this.
Old May 28, 2024, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, IHG Spire, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Indeed. How are you guys positioning?
SFO to anywhere in SE Asia on awards, then a quick hop over to KUL. I am thinking somewhere like HKG/TPE/TYO/SIN. It will likely be a last minute release award for me.
cesco.g and jsloan like this.
Old May 28, 2024, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
To be extra pedantic, I went through this recently on the UA forum (here’s the last post, with the most detail: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/36220517-post317.html ). It turns out that with a couple of minor exceptions (western / central Europe, Scandinavia, and the US + Canada), if you don’t return to the same country, then you end up with fare components based upon the origin of each segment — so it actually would price as KUL-NYC + NYC-(wherever). I took a lot of convincing, because my understanding was the same as yours.
Oh, interesting. I think I've encountered this when briefly trying to do US-Europe-Mexico and only getting full Y/J fares. It was only a quick idea so I didn't give it much thought, but my experience aligns with your point.
jsloan and cruser1 like this.
Old May 28, 2024, 1:51 pm
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by turbox3
SFO to anywhere in SE Asia on awards, then a quick hop over to KUL. I am thinking somewhere like HKG/TPE/TYO/SIN. It will likely be a last minute release award for me.
What airline is most likley last minute space for J awards these days? I recall LH and TK being the first places to check pre-COVID.
Old May 28, 2024, 3:26 pm

Programs: Asiana Diamond Plus, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Thank you to Cruser1 for posting this fare. As I’m based in Kuala Lumpur, this is a great flight for me and I’ve already booked it. I believe ANA is the only Star Alliance member that uses the Malaysian Airlines Golden Lounge, which is by far the best lounge at the airport. If anyone has questions about the airport or Kuala Lumpur, please send me a private message.
jsloan, kyushuman, trooper and 7 others like this.
Old May 28, 2024, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by Offthegrid
Thank you to Cruser1 for posting this fare. As I’m based in Kuala Lumpur, this is a great flight for me and I’ve already booked it. I believe ANA is the only Star Alliance member that uses the Malaysian Airlines Golden Lounge, which is by far the best lounge at the airport. If anyone has questions about the airport or Kuala Lumpur, please send me a private message.
I haven't been to the Golden Lounge but if you can get some of your pass paid for with priority pass, I'd suggest Plaza Premium First lounge (rather than the standard plaza premium lounge). A-la-carte and definitely less crowding.
Old May 28, 2024, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by PLeblond
What airline is most likley last minute space for J awards these days? I recall LH and TK being the first places to check pre-COVID.
Depends on your departure city. SFO is mostly UA/BR/NH. From east coast US, your have options - BA / UA / LH LX group etc, but comes down to how you want to route and if mile efficiency are your top concern.

If you position and hub it at somewhere like SIN or HKG, the world is your oyster for a SE asia adventure. Think REP, AKL )yes I wknow this isn't SE asia), LPQ, CNX, etc as early adventure.

From SFO/LAX

cesco.g and NJSwamplands like this.

Last edited by turbox3; May 28, 2024 at 5:08 pm Reason: cheap close ins!
Old May 28, 2024, 4:56 pm

Depends on your departure city. SFO is mostly UA/BR/NH. From east coast US, your have options - BA / UA / LH LX group etc, but comes down to how you want to route and if mile efficiency are your top concern.

what website are you using to see this?
Old May 28, 2024, 5:00 pm

http://seats.aero
Billy910 and NJSwamplands like this.
Old May 28, 2024, 7:18 pm

From east coast US, your have options - BA / UA / LH LX group etc, but comes down to how you want to route and if mile efficiency are your top concern.
[Emphasis mine] The surcharges on BA alone would probably exceed the cost of this RT fare.
Old May 28, 2024, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192
[Emphasis mine] The surcharges on BA alone would probably exceed the cost of this RT fare.
VERY fair point.

Take the LH/LX flights. Avoid AI with a 10 ft pole, even more so than BA taxes.
Old May 29, 2024, 1:43 am
Original Poster

VERY fair point.

Take the LH/LX flights. Avoid AI with a 10 ft pole, even more so than BA taxes.
Unfortunately LH/LX just increased fuel surcharges too. It won't be as bad as BA, but they still increased almost $200 on a roundtrip from the US to Europe.

Originally Posted by jsloan

That said, I can’t actually find any fares to other Southeast Asia destinations that are combinable with this one, I suspect that in practice the answer is no — this can’t be used as part of an open jaw, even though open jaws are allowed in the fare rules.
This is my experience as well. In the US/Canada I'd agree that it'll use the fare from the point of origin and destination, but not in this case.
jsloan likes this.
Old May 29, 2024, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by cruser1
Unfortunately LH/LX just increased fuel surcharges too. It won't be as bad as BA, but they still increased almost $200 on a roundtrip from the US to Europe.
Yes, but there are many *A programs that don't pass on those surcharges to award pax, such as AC and UA. Whereas most if not all OW programs do pass on BA surcharges to award pax.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.